Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Rush in bandland!

Hey everyone...I was banded last Friday and had my first follow up with the doc today. All went well, he was impressed with my 22lb weight loss in 5 days. I am moving onto full liquids tomorrow and I was given permission to slowly add some soft foods like really thin mashed potatoes.

So, for now I'm looking forward to creamy Soups, pudding, and shakes and I may attempt some soft foods next week if I'm feeling up to it. All in all, I feel great, soreness has all but disappeared and the gas issues have subsided considerably.

wowsa jaime !!! good for you ! that is a huge weight loss!

Congrats!

Glad to know that I'm not alone. 3 days post-op and starving for solid food.:thumbup:

I'm a BANDER...yeah! I posted on the preop board and the surgery day thread for anyone who is curious! Can I just say that I LOVE GasX?!

I'm a BANDER...yeah! I posted on the preop board and the surgery day thread for anyone who is curious! Can I just say that I LOVE GasX?!

Congrats on your banding! It's exciting isn't it.

The Gas-X never really helped me, although I didnt' start taking it until day 3 but I still keep burping no matter what. :thumbup:

I am 6 days out now and I moved myself onto mashed potatoes. I know I am supposed to wait until day 7 but I feel perfectly fine and they went down so smoothly. I mixed them with some turkey gravey so they were thin. I am allowed to have yogurt, pudding and Jello already, so I figured thin mashed potatoes weren't much different. YUMMM.

I'm sure it's fine Melissa and congrats on the banding! It IS a good feeling! I'm home and happy to be done with that part...ONWARD!

I just wanted to check in, here on the other side. I'm eight days post-op and feeling groovy! I still have a tiny bit of heaviness in my chest, but not too bad most of the time.

I'm finally starting to feel hungry on a regular basis. Monday, I let myself get too hungry and ended up eating some foods I'm theoretically not ready for yet -- refried Beans, mashed potatoes, and KFC's mac and cheese. I handled it all well. When I had my post-op appointment Tuesday (10 August), I asked about moving to mushies ahead of schedule (not confessing as to what I'd already done, though!). The answer was NO. So, I stay on full liquids until next Thursday. I can do this! LOL! i discovered today that if I don't let myself get too hungry before I eat, that I'm more satisfied with the items on my meal plan.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is my blood sugars. I've been being treated for diabetes for almost 10 years now. I treated with two different pills and insulin at night. The surgeon's office lowered my meds too much, I think. My readings have been in the 200s! They made it up to 364 yesterday. I've only had readings that high four or five times in 10 years! I talked with the nurse about this during my post-op appointment, and we did some meds rearranging. I don't think we were aggressive enough, but my readings are better. I'll bring it up with my PCP when I see him next Tuesday.

Hope everyone else is doing great! If you're doing half as well as I am, you ar!

For those craving salty stuff, and for those who are sick of broth, I started adding some seasonings to the broth. My husband and I are totally addicted to Red Robin Seasoning, and I sprinkled some in my broth tonight. It was fantastic. It's hard to mix things up when we're on liquids, but this really, really helped! Tomorrow I'm going to try some garlic herb chicken seasoning I have and see how it tastes!

Woo Hoo! Not only did my insurance approve my surgery they've already paid my hospital bill in full!:thumbup: Such a relief for me!

Congrats on your banding! It's exciting isn't it.

The Gas-X never really helped me, although I didnt' start taking it until day 3 but I still keep burping no matter what. :thumbup:

I am 6 days out now and I moved myself onto mashed potatoes. I know I am supposed to wait until day 7 but I feel perfectly fine and they went down so smoothly. I mixed them with some turkey gravey so they were thin. I am allowed to have yogurt, pudding and Jello already, so I figured thin mashed potatoes weren't much different. YUMMM.

Yum! That sounds so good! I'm not allowed to move on until my post op appt next Tuesday.

I am glad that I had to go through the 2 week pre-op liquid diet of 2 or 3 Protein shakes a day and Soup for supper. I have noticed that I am not craving fatty foods, sugary foods, or carbs. I might not have liked it at the beginning, but it sure is nice now.

I've been on mushies since Monday, and starting on the 16th, I get to start having fish and chicken. I had a baked potato, well a 1/4 of one, for supper and a tropical fruit cup. That was all I could manage to eat.

I was laying in bed last night reading and I had this overwhelming URGE for olive garden Salad Dressing. How sad is that?

My craving has been for pickles. I actually went and bought some just so I could drink the juice. Was hoping that would help with the craving. It did, but I still wanted a pickle. When I was able to move to mushies, I ate the inside of one. It is nice and mushy.

I haven't had any real cravings for anything ... Just the desire to eat solid foods. And, if I don't let myself get too hungry, that's not much of an issue, either. I'm "eating" more than the recommended three meals a day, but if I don't eat more, I get too hungry and start making poor food choices. I think today I'll track my calories and see if I'm really doing anything too terrible with my extra meals.