Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

you have this surgery. I was banned on June 15 and if I knew then what I know now I would of thought more about it. This really is not the answer to weight loss as they lead you to believe that it is. Find out everything you can before you make this your choice. I wish I had done my home work.

I feel bad that you didn't know what the surgery entailed. I am angry with your surgeon for not ensuring that you understood what the lap band was and how it would change your life.

I hope that you find peace and a way to live with your band.

There are NO magical cures for obesity, I would have found it by now believe me. What I have experienced is the band and what it gives me a chance to gain control over my hunger. What becomes clear is if hunger is removed why is that I continue to overeat ? Its my emotions that work against so many and if you don't get them under control you are doomed..............

You have been banded less than 2 months and you say this is not the answer to weight loss. What were you expecting? That you would wake up from surgery and suddenly be skinny? That all the excess weight that you have presumably had for a long time would dissappear very quickly?

I feel sorry for you if you went into the surgery misinformed and with your eyes closed. I know that some Dr's do not give a lot of info but we have so many options open to us these days to get info that we must also take part of the blame if we are not well informed. Going for surgery isn't quite the same as going and buying a new dishwasher - it is risky and you need to gather as much info as you can before the time.

I am also surprised that with the long ins approval process that it is possible to be ill informed.

If you are in need of help please ask and we will be happy to help. Ask questions and you will get answers.

But please don't post a thread trying to put others off -I find that really annoying and counter productive.

I imagine what you are feeling at the moment is down because you can still eat a lot more than you expected to be able to, you get hungry and you are not losing as fast as you hoped.

If this is your problem then be aware that it is normal. The period is often referred to as Bandsters hell because of it. Until you have had a number of fills you will not have the "perfect" restriction that you are hoping for. Use this period to learn to eat healthily, to exercise more and to practice eating slower and chewing properley.

You will get to where you want eventually but it is not an overnight fix. You also have to remember that the band is only a tool - it does not do all the work - you also have to do your bit.

I am sure that you will soon have the success that you are hoping for.

you have this surgery. I was banned on June 15 and if I knew then what I know now I would of thought more about it. This really is not the answer to weight loss as they lead you to believe that it is. Find out everything you can before you make this your choice. I wish I had done my home work.

Hello Swirl

It would be nice if you could give some more info on what you are struggling with and what you have found out since being banded that you did not know before.

I have looked at all your previous posts and with the exception of the first one (in which you were excited to have got your date for 8 weeks later) all the rest are of being 'sick of hurting', 'sick of liquids' - 5 days out and not being happy because you haven't lost any weight pretty much for the most of it. Were you sick of being fat and that is why you took the step of getting banded?

Your pre-band life must have been just hunky-dory as it sounds like everything has gone wrong for you since 15th June and you are now more miserable than you have ever been before. Let's just blame it on the band.

You are now almost 2 months out and still venting and making negative statements without giving any reasons why you feel this way. Is that because you don't want any advice or support? Are you not wanting help from anyone else to succeed or to work through the things you are struggling with? Are you happy to go it alone and not get it right?

Do you think it is safer to blame it on the band than to give it your best shot and risk not succeeding?

Your negative post is not helpful to yourself or others.

FYI: I did do my homework and I did have a band in Aug 09 and I have lost 101 pounds by using what I learnt from every source I could get info from and I will continue to gleen every bit of valuable info from this site and other sources to make the best of and get the most benefit from the choice I made...dare I suggest you start trying to do the same.

Give it your best shot. There is so much help and advice on this site but you gotta tell what the problem is, specifics and you will be supported and helped.

Good luck with all your struggles, whatever they may be :party:

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad about your choice to be banded. I'm not sure where you are with the process and what you are having trouble with, but would be glad to help you if I can. I did enough research to satisfy myself before surgery, but much less than most people do. It is a learning process no matter how much you know before you get banded. I spoke with several people who had the band before I was banded and my experience is very different.

You have the band now so make the most of it and get the excess weight off. Go to support meetings. Come here for support. One of the things that has really helped me along the was is a positive attitude about the whole thing. I hope you are feeling better about it soon.

Elcee and Jalomom have both written excellent posts....I am tired of reading the silly sugary posts patting the poster on the back and saying poor baby. We must get real and firm to give the best REAL support to those in need, like this thread starter obviously is.

Mimi

I agree with all these responses to the OP! It is simply "not cool" to post a thread without giving more detail. Clearly there are people all over the map on this site, but I think we are all trying to get to the same destination...healthy and fit. Please post more information on what your struggles are and I'm sure you will receive help from the great people on this site who have no doubt been through the same thing. Sure the band is not a magic cure, but it is an incredible tool to help you with your struggle. You are one of the lucky ones who now have it...why not try and use it?

I love this site for this exact reason....

it is if you do it right - but it is only a tool, not a miracle. unfortunately, all that is bad is the easiest to slip through the band - so you still have to watch what you eat - and temptation will always be there. On the plus side, even when you do slip (and I have done so) it is not as bad as it was before the band, there are still limits to how much you can eat.

I think most of you are being very harsh with this person.

There is only a 60% success rate with this operation!!

There is going to be some depression, and uncertainty!!

This is just a tool, your right.

I'm very happy with the Lapband.

I'm not loosing as fast as I would like, but it is coming off, and I have alot more energy!! I find that I have to eat 800-1000 calories to loose weight, and work out.

What the Lapband does is help that your not hungry as much, but it still takes alot of work, and determination!!

Go to support meetings.

Think positive!!

Good Luck!!

I think some people want that sugar coated "oh think positive" stuff. The lapband is a tool, a tool that must be worked with. This is not the answer to all problems, nor is it a magic wand that will magically make you skinny. I struggle with my decision everyday, but at the end of the day this was the best decision for me. I believe you have to be your health's advocate, and no offense but realisitically should you have gone into surgery without knowing exactly what you were getting into. Perhaps you have not tried all avenues such as exercise, counseling, support groups, etc. I also feel like that negative attitude will not help your experience it will only further Detour your path of success. Like it was stated before it is unfair for you to project negative feelings to others out there. I do wish you success, but your own happiness will have to be something you create.

Really think before you have this surgery. I think this is wonderful advice

I was banned on June 15 and if I knew then what I know now I would of thought more about it. Fair enough

This really is not the answer to weight loss as they lead you to believe that it is. I think your right, I don't think the band is for everyone, my husband says on a regular basis, he would not want to live like this. I couldn't be happier with it.

Find out everything you can before you make this your choice. Once again, excellent advice.

I wish I had done my home work. I understand this statement completely.

Let us know if there is something we can help you with.

You're less than two months out. How have you arrived at the conclusion that it isn't the answer for you?

It's a process.

By all means, encourage others to do their homework first. Those of us who do so tend to develop realistic expectations and enjoy success with the band.

But now it's time for you to take responsibility for your own success. Do the homework NOW. Work the band so that you, too, can enjoy success.

The key word there is "enjoy," by the way. Which is hard to do in any way, shape, or form, when you are so firmly ensconced in negativity.

I am utterly amazed how anyone can blindly decide on and get a life altering surgery without doing any research beforehand. I researched for a year before deciding that any WLS was for me. And then another year during my approval process to decide on the Lap-Band®.

Before I even buy a microwave, I'll read tons of reviews and opinions before deciding on a make and model. The Internet is my friend.:)

I knew before hand all the 'worst case scenarios' and the odds of any of the lap-band cons happening to me. I also knew the odds of the 'best case scenarios' too. The lap-band is a tool and works well when used correctly, just as is can be a nightmare when used incorrectly. (Use a car correctly and you can travel in safety all over... use it incorrectly and you can kill yourself and everyone else in your way.)

Sorry for the rant, but ignorance infuriates me.:)