Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had my first fill, a little bummed....

Just came back from my first fill, the dr only put 3.5ccs into my empty 14cc band. I know it won't make a difference, guess I should've pushed for more. Being my first fill and since he wasn't the dr that banded me (live in FL got banded in CO), I didn't want to press too hard. I just hope I get some kind of good,if only for a short time, out of this fill, but I'm not very optimistic about it. Anyone out there have a positive experience with such a small fill?

Hi - I also have a 14 CC band, and I wish that I could say that I achieved restriction so soon. My fills went the following way -

2.5 CC - No restriction

2.5 CC - No restriction

2.0 CC - Restriction for 2 weeks

.5 CC - Currently feeling restriction after 2 weeks.

I was filled every 4 weeks, and then 6 weeks between my 3RD and 4TH fills due to vacation. Although I did not have true restriction at first, I did stay satisfied between my 3 meals. I nolonger felt hungry.

I just kept telling myself that I only have to "diet" for a few more weeks. Yes it was hard - yes I over ate at times. I ate smaller amouts, but foods that would satisfy me both physically and emotionally. I did cut out sweets, chips, and snacking.

Keep up the good work - the elusive "sweet spot" will come. Keep posting and go to your local support group. Search for the thread that involves restriction and the 14CC band - it will give you some idea when people have reached restriction with our band.

Good Luck!

Reaching your proper fill level is a frustrating thing. The best thing I can tell you to do is be patient :redface:

Be glad that you can get more than 1cc at a time!

I must have got lucky and got a Doc with his crap together. I asked how they did the first fill, they put in their best guess, then have you stand up with the needle still in and drink Water until you fell restricted then take out a tiny bit. I should get to the sweet spot in 2 or 3 fills pretty easy. cross the fingers anyway. was banded on the 15th of July not getting first fill for 6 weeks. so about the end of August. Bandster hell till then starting on week 4 food and my appetite is coming back with a vengeance. I CAN DO IT! I CAN DO IT! I CAN DO IT!

sounds good on paper anyway

dman

My first fill was 1ml. I still lost weight and didn't feel like I was starving.

It is very normal for your first fill not to provide restriction. It took me 3 fills to feel any kind of restriction. Hang in there!

My dr was only going to give me 1 cc my first fill I begged fir more and he gave me 1.5 cc. It did nothing. Yesterday I went back and hot a other 1.5 cc's.

This time I can feel the difference. It hurts to eat anything. Gonna stick with liquids today.

My Dr has been amazing. she is a little aggresive when it comes to fills. But she explained it like this....."you are in training for when you do have restriction". make sure you eat slow and chew till you puree the food in your mouth. She also said to me that if after 2 weeks of my fill, and I am having difficulty with hunger, to come back and do anouther fill. At 8 weeks post op, I had 3 fills @ 8cc total. It's great, but honestly wish I had more "training"! I have had a few PB's. :redface: Take your time and train! Dont worry if you need an extra snack to hold you over. Dont put too much pressure on yourself. Our Drs kno what they are doing and have the experience. Keep up the good work.

Sorry it wasn't what you had hoped for but hopefully soon you can get another fill and start to feel restcrtion.

I am still waiting for my first fill. I am glad I read all of this because it gives me a lot to think about and some good things to know going into my fills.

Each fill is a baby step in the right direction. While I didn't reach good restriction until #3 (and I feel blessed to have found it that early) with each I got full a little faster and ate a little less...even if I didn't get full when I should or stay full as long as I should, with each fill it got easier and easier. A lot of this is a mental game. Try to keep your chin up and find the good in all of it or you can totally psych yourself out and sabotage yourself.

Good luck!

I too will have my first fill in 2 weeks. Currently, I can eat for example about 3/4 of a cup of something like egg salad, be stuffed and stay that way for about 2 or 2.5 hours. The goal of the fill is to stay fuller for longer, correct? Like 4 hours?

I know that my doctor doesn't only use weight loss to determine fill needs, and I also get the impression that he may be pretty aggressive because at my surgical consult he said that if I comply and really eat slowly and chew thoroughly, he could really get the band tight and that I would be impressed with how well I would do.

Please let me know if my thinking is correct about the duration until hunger returns... thanks :redface:

One of the members of my presurgery eating class had a first fill that was like 5cc's and got very sick. Had to go to the emergency room for an unfill, middle of the night. I would much rather have a small fill (which I will tell the doctor I want), than a large fill that requires a trip in an ambulance (I live alone).

I got 1.5cc the first fill, 1.0 the second , 0.5 the third and 0.5 the fourth. So I have a total of 3.5cc and I feel restriction. It is all very individual.

I have lost over 60 pounds now with this low amount of fill.

Just go with the flow, practice eating what you are supposed to, getting in Protein, getting in fluids and chewing! The restriction will come with time and you will lose.

Remember, it is a process!