Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a ?.. I haven't been to my pre-op aptt yet but I was wondering.. is everyone on a pre-op diet? I thought I had heard before that not everyone has to do a two week pre-op diet but maybe just a couple of days? Just wondering. I have been on the 6 month physician monitered diet for approval from CIGNA until the begining of this month when my six months was up. My doctor just stuck me on weight watchers and I lost some weight but not that much. My surgeon had told me that this was pretty much just to get approved for surgery that it was not a huge deal if I didn't loose a lot Pre op.

Also.. as you all are preparing for surgery what are you grabbing from the grocery store to prepare?

I know some of you are asking what is being eaten for preop and post op diet. I am on Protein shakes only per my doc for two weeks before and 3-4 weeks after. At 3 weeks post op I go in for a little visit and meet with the nutritionist and the doc to help me transition through the mushies and then on to solids. I have only been doing this 3 days now but I experimented for a week before that so here's what I've been drinking:

3 Muscle Milks a day. They aren't cheap but they are a lot like choc milk and have all the Protein (my son is drinking them for Breakfast now since he runs in the morning - too funny!).

I also grabbed these things from Target. They are near the Protein shake section. They are 3 oz shots of whey protein that taste really sweet and are grape. They come in a plastic test tube looking thing but bigger than an actual test tube. They cost $2.50 a piece or something like that but I keep a couple in my car and if I get hungry or shaky I just have one of those and it literally kills the hunger. They are 100 calories and have as much protein as the muscle milks.

So that's it for now. My husband is out of town this week which makes it easier to stick to the Liquid Protein. I can't believe I'm going to be drinking this way for 5-6 weeks!

I won't way myself till Wednesday when I have done this a week. Then again on surgery day. After that I am going to try to stick to weekly weigh-ins.

Hope this helps!

Well I'm on a low calorie, low fat, low carb, high Protein liquid diet for 10 days pre op. I have 3 Protein Shakes a day made with Water. I got a variety of protein samples that I use. So far I'm LOVING the Syntrax Nectar and the Syntha 6 is pretty good also. In between I have sodium free chicken broth and usually a cup of sugar free Jello before bed at night. Then I drink around 80 oz of water a day also.

I have my surgery on tuesday :rolleyes2: My surgeon did not require a pre-op diet, and for post-op I just have to be on Clear Liquids for the rest of the day after surgery, then full liquids the day after that than, pureed for 2 weeks. Where do you guys go to find some good Protein Drinks with lots of different flavors, do they sell many in stores or do u buy them online??

Wow...it really amazes me the vast differences in types of pre-op and post-op diets that different doctors perscribe to their patients. Some of us are on liquid diets for 2 weeks prior (so tough to do!) where others of us can eat a normal hi-Protein lo carb diet, and others are not on any pre-op diet at all (lucky!).

Just makes me wonder how valid each approach is...I mean, I bet we are ALL going to be successful, no matter what pre-op our doctors tell us to follow. I will just follow and do what my doctor tells me, that is the best each of us can do...

Stay strong everyone!!

My date is Aug 26! Can't wait. I start my 2 week Opti-fast diet on the 11th. Which is to help shrink the liver so it isnt so fatty during surgery. Its the only organ they have to move a little and if its too fatty it can break or crumble. Goo! Good luck to all having their surgeries this week!

Hello ladies! My surgery is on Wednesday the 4th and Im starting to freak out! AHHHHH! I keep having thoughts that I can't believe that I have to have surgery to lose the weight and feel like such a failure. Me then the other part of me is so excited to get this done and finally get the weight off for good!

I've been on my pre-op diet for 12 days now- Ive been on a high protein/low carb diet. The first 4 days were HELL- I was going through a major carb withdrawal. But since then its been really easy. Ive been out of town for the past week- my family and I drove to Denver from Austin and Im glad I did the low carb diet- I cant imagine being on vacation having to do the liquid diet. In any case, I know that Ive lost weight I just dont know how much since the hotels dont have scales. We will be back home tomorrow evening and im anxious to see what the scale says.

Tuesday I will be on Clear liquids all day then surgery is scheduled for 11:30 am on Wednesday. After surgery I will be on clear liquids for 2-3 days then full liquids for days 4-7. 2nd week will be pureed foods, 3rd week mushies, then 4th week I will move to solid foods.

Im just ready for Wednesday to be here to get this over with. Seems like my life has been on "hold" for the past 8-9 months when I started thinking about all of this. I was at a Scentsy convention the past 2 days and I kept thinking to myself "this time next year I WILL be down at least 100 lbs" and will be feeling so confident about myself! Im looking forward to it!

Hi Everyone,

Well tomorrow is the big day, this has all happened so quick!!!!! I'nm so excited,but packing at the same time, but when I look at my little boys, I know that I have to do this not only for myself bu them. They deserve a healthy Mum. Just to enter my 20cent worth, I have been on optislim for 2 weeks, with 2cups "good" veges at night and a pece of fruit allowed! Yes, I did have a bad day 2/7 ago and succumbed to a handful of chips. But will be glad to taste other things, even if they will be "runny" for a couple of weeks.

Best of luck to you all, adn although I'm not computer savvy, will defineitely keep on this thread. Cheers.

Hi Everyone,

Well tomorrow is the big day, this has all happened so quick!!!!! I'nm so excited,but packing at the same time, but when I look at my little boys, I know that I have to do this not only for myself bu them. They deserve a healthy Mum. Just to enter my 20cent worth, I have been on optislim for 2 weeks, with 2cups "good" veges at night and a pece of fruit allowed! Yes, I did have a bad day 2/7 ago and succumbed to a handful of chips. But will be glad to taste other things, even if they will be "runny" for a couple of weeks.

Best of luck to you all, adn although I'm not computer savvy, will defineitely keep on this thread. Cheers.

Wow, you're having surgery on Sunday!!

I wish you the very best. I'm sure you will come through with flying colors.

Please, don't forget to come on and tell us how it went and how you feel.

We are all so anxious for our surgeries and want to know every detail of what's going on with others.

I'm not computer savvy either and I'm still trying to get used to my new MacBook pro :rolleyes2: so just jump in and do your best.

We'll be thinking about you tomorrow, or I should say later on today.

Hello ladies! My surgery is on Wednesday the 4th and Im starting to freak out! AHHHHH! I keep having thoughts that I can't believe that I have to have surgery to lose the weight and feel like such a failure. Me then the other part of me is so excited to get this done and finally get the weight off for good!

I've been on my pre-op diet for 12 days now- Ive been on a high protein/low carb diet. The first 4 days were HELL- I was going through a major carb withdrawal. But since then its been really easy. Ive been out of town for the past week- my family and I drove to Denver from Austin and Im glad I did the low carb diet- I cant imagine being on vacation having to do the liquid diet. In any case, I know that Ive lost weight I just dont know how much since the hotels dont have scales. We will be back home tomorrow evening and im anxious to see what the scale says.

Hey Amber, the 4th will be here in just a few hours . Time flies now. You will do fine .

I'm glad you did well on low carb.T

hat is easy for me too. I'm glad you were prescribed that instead of liquids .

With low carb you can have a cheesburger (no bun) and that's fine while your on vaca or working with others and really not have to explain anything as that's how a lot of skinnyminnies eat anyway.

Tuesday I will be on clear liquids all day then surgery is scheduled for 11:30 am on Wednesday. After surgery I will be on clear liquids for 2-3 days then full liquids for days 4-7. 2nd week will be pureed foods, 3rd week mushies, then 4th week I will move to solid foods.

Im just ready for Wednesday to be here to get this over with. Seems like my life has been on "hold" for the past 8-9 months when I started thinking about all of this. I was at a Scentsy convention the past 2 days and I kept thinking to myself "this time next year I WILL be down at least 100 lbs" and will be feeling so confident about myself! Im looking forward to it!

I hope you get a big surprise when you finally weigh yourself but if not don't let it discourage you. The journey has just begun.

Don't forget to let us know how everything went . We want to know all the details.

All the best to you.

Dee

I'm getting banded on Tuesday August 3rd (day after my birthday). I'm kind of worried since haven't been able to lose all the weight pre-op that the doctor asked (which is 10lbs). At one point I did lose 13 lbs, but then went back to only losing 7 lbs. I hope they don't send me home day of surgery because of 3 lbs. 10 lbs isn't hard to lose, but I've been on 3 different types of Birth Control in the past 4 months and has made it IMPOSSIBLE for me to lose steady weight.

AHHHHH!! I am soo excited about getting banded I just hope they don't reschedule.

Sara

Hi Fellow August Banders,

Just curious...how many days does everyone plan to take off of work for the surgery? Also...for those of you who are keeping this top secret, what have you told your employer when requesting the time off?

My surgery is on a Friday and I'm thinking of taking off Monday as well and going back Tuesday...hope this is enough time....I am a little nervous.....:w00t:

I am in a similar boat with you, Melissa. I told my male boss that I was having a "medical procedure" that would require a few days off. My hope (and it worked!) was that he would assume it was something female-related that he didn't want to hear about.:lol: I explained that some folks take as much as 7-10 days, but others only need 2-4. Because I work in an office environment, I am hoping that 3 days off will be enough for me.

I am scheduled for a Thursday and am off the next Friday and the weekend with a hope to return on Monday.

I understand being a little nervous...I think we all are. :w00t: I hope you have a relatively low stress/low activity job that will allow you to work and still heal at the same time. Good luck!! :rolleyes2:

I am in a similar boat with you, Melissa. I told my male boss that I was having a "medical procedure" that would require a few days off. My hope (and it worked!) was that he would assume it was something female-related that he didn't want to hear about.:w00t: I explained that some folks take as much as 7-10 days, but others only need 2-4. Because I work in an office environment, I am hoping that 3 days off will be enough for me.

I am scheduled for a Thursday and am off the next Friday and the weekend with a hope to return on Monday.

I understand being a little nervous...I think we all are. :w00t: I hope you have a relatively low stress/low activity job that will allow you to work and still heal at the same time. Good luck!! :rolleyes2:

A 'medical procedure' sounds like a good way to describe it! I'm glad he gave you the time off no problem. I'm so bad...my surgery is in only 6 days and I haven't asked for the time off yet! But I'm not worried, I can come up with something. I will also be having a hernia repaired and my gallbladder removed at the same time, so I don't mind sharing that part of my surgery with my boss, which means though that my whole department will know (6 people) since everyone is "friends" and knows everyone else's business. Kind of annoying, but it is what it is!

I do have a desk job, which is pretty low key and I can take breaks if needed. I think I will be fine w/ Friday & Monday off.

It is helpful that you're having the other things handled at the same time...that way if you do need an additional day, they'll understand without you having to be cryptic or mysterious about it. :-)

I can definitely relate to my business being everyone else's business, too. I live in one of the largest cities in the world (Seoul), but I live and work in a small American community...it is amazing how much we all know about each other. I know that some folks would be ultra supportive, but many would be judging me. We have enough to worry about with potential complications, pre-op and post op limitations, healing/recovery and adopting new lifestyles. We don't need to worry about what other folks think! The less they know, the better. :-)

Hi Everyone :rolleyes2: I am being banded on Aug 23rd if my insurance approves. I was approved through tufts after doing the 6 month I can change program, but my insurance changes today to Blue Cross Blue Shield. So I am hoping they will approve right away so I can have my Surgery on my scheduled date!! I have been trying all kinds of protien drinks and have found that the nectar Syntrax ones are the best for me so far. I am going on a cruise the week before surgery so I started my pre-op diet a week ago...trying to loose about 10lbs before surgery so I can eat good suppers on the ship!! My surgeon nows I am going on a cruise and just told me to loose 5 lbs, as I already have lost 12lbs during the I can change program. I am getting really excited about my journey and look forward to sharing and supporting and receiving support on here :w00t:) Good Luck everyone!!

Edited by juliek1968