Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Share Your PCOS Knowledge, Please

Hello Lady's I need some info on PCOS and who better to ask than women that have lived it.

Here is my situation. About a yr ago I confirmed I had several cysts and fibroid (PCOS). But as the doctor put it "none where in a location to cause immediate alarm, and removing them would cause more damage than help". They put me back on birth control and sent me on my way. It has now been a year and I just had a follow up ultrasound 2 weeks ago. I received a letter that said that the fibroid has grown but "no further evaluation/treatment is needed". WTF?! Is that it? Is that "normal"?

I have a follow up with my doc in 2 weeks but its to check my progress on a diet pill she prescribed (Meridia, which by the way is not making a big difference). I'm trying to get as much info as I can so I can make sure that my PCOS is being treated correctly. So that is hopefully where you lady's come in, please tell me your experiences and treatments (Good or bad). I am 31 yrs 275lbs. and luckily have no diabetes, high blood pressure or heart problems yet... :cursing:

Hi!

I was diagnosed with PCOS probably 5 years ago. My husband and I were going through fertility treatments when my doctor found a large cyst durring an ultrasound. I had to stop taking my clomid until it was checked out further. He thought that the cyst may have to be removed b/c of it's size and he wanted to make sure it wasnt cancerous. I was refered to someone else who after an MRI and an exam advised that there was no need to remove the cyst at this time that it wasn't harming me and had probably been there for a long time. I have friends however who have had them burst? and it has caused a lot of pain in which they have had some removed... I guess it just depends on your situation and your body. I wouldn't worry too much. If you are really concerned you could always get a second opinion. In my case I was lucky to have two doctors review the information and they both in the end decided that I did not need to have it removed.

There is SOOO much more to PCOS than just ovarian cysts. The hormone imbalances can be a nightmare; if your doc hasn't sent you for bloodwork, find a new doc ASAP.

I agree with L12 PCOS is a lot more than just Fibroid's or Cysts. I've been living with this since I was about 17 years old (now 30). I've had the cysts, then they resolved, then they came back, they resolved again. I've had intermittent bouts with high blood pressure and insulin resistances. I've been Type 2 Diabetic for about a year now. Along with abnormal Hair growth and my biggest nemesis Infertility. The best advice/treatment anyone can do to remedy the situation is weight loss. I'm hoping to be banded in October, and with hard work and a lot of determination, I will hopefully say good by to PCOS FOREVER....

Don't let them label you with PCOS, just from a few cysts. BCP will help with the cysts though. Good luck in your journey also...:rolleyes2:

As everyone said above the cyst are just one factor for pcos. I have had it basically forever wasnt dx until I got married and ttc. I had many years of fertility treatments and many unsuccessful cycles. I finally did the surgery after 7 years of tx and nothing working and the dr told me that I was tooo overweight to get pg it would be dangerous. I am thank g-d pg now still early but I am thrilled. btwn loosing weight and going to the chiroprachter I got pg naturally.

Hello Lady's I need some info on PCOS and who better to ask than women that have lived it.

Here is my situation. About a yr ago I confirmed I had several cysts and fibroid (PCOS). But as the doctor put it "none where in a location to cause immediate alarm, and removing them would cause more damage than help". They put me back on birth control and sent me on my way. It has now been a year and I just had a follow up ultrasound 2 weeks ago. I received a letter that said that the fibroid has grown but "no further evaluation/treatment is needed". WTF?! Is that it? Is that "normal"?

I have a follow up with my doc in 2 weeks but its to check my progress on a diet pill she prescribed (Meridia, which by the way is not making a big difference). I'm trying to get as much info as I can so I can make sure that my PCOS is being treated correctly. So that is hopefully where you lady's come in, please tell me your experiences and treatments (Good or bad). I am 31 yrs 275lbs. and luckily have no diabetes, high blood pressure or heart problems yet... :biggrin:

The best place you can go to is www.soulcysters.com it's a great site yu can find any and all answers there!!!! GOOD LUCK!

I found out I had PCOS when I was 22. Until about a year ago I was only taking medication aka birth control, and I wasn't very faithful with it. I had one ultrasound done at the beginning and it was meds after that. About a year ago I started having side pain and very, VERY heavy bleeding that started in Aug and lasted until Feb, when they put me on Yaz. During this time I had two ultra sounds done...fun. This is when they notice two cysts on both sides. When the meds didn't reduce the size of the cysts the only option was surgery. I had my right cysts removed in April (it was the size of a large grapefruit) and the left cysts was gone? Even though the cysts on the left was half the size of the right it was most likely an ovulating cysts and nothing to worry about. i haven't had any problems. They estimated the cysts grew within 6-8 months The funny thing is that the bleeding and pain were two different issues, but if I didn't have one problem i may have never got the cysts removed.

I don't know if this helps. but taking the birth control is important so what happen to me doesn't happen to you. Do they have you on metformin? I take metformin for blood sugar and body hair issues. this is a common med for PCOS patients.

I'm 34, 272 lbs. I haven't had lap band yet but I hoping it helps. I know if my weight is reduced I won't have to take the either of these pills. And since I'm 8 different meds if would be nice to get RID of the them!!

Good Luck.

The best place you can go to is www.soulcysters.com it's a great site yu can find any and all answers there!!!! GOOD LUCK!

Ditto, that is a great site to find answers and get support. Good Luck, hope you find the answers your looking for and a doctor that will give you the answers/treatment you need.