Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am going for a sleep study on Thursday night. I am worried I will not be able to fall asleep. First off, I will be going to sleep earlier than usual, I will be in a weird place, and have wires attatched to me and I usually fall asleep with the TV on (with the sleep timer set). Would it be really bad if I took a benadryl before I go in? I know you are not supposed to but I do not want to be just laying there trying to fall asleep.

I'm interested in people's experience with sleep studies. I do not have sleep apnea nor do I snore excessively, but they scheduled me for one anyhow.

I need my feather pillows and I need to lie on my side and I need my tissues and my book and...well, you get my drift.

Same with me, I do not have sleep apnea, nor do I snore, but they also wanted me to have one.

Just wondering why it seems everyone has to have a sleep study. I do not know if I will have to yet or not, but I am going to have a heck of a time if so. I deal with major insomnia, not sleeping and snoring LOL!

Anyone have insight as to why the sleep study is required?

I haven't done a sleep study yet, but am scheduled for one. But I did have to do an REE test in the room where the sleep study is. The room was pretty decent. There was a TV with decent cable and a chair with a table to sit and read. I'm scheduled to go in at 8pm. I'm assuming I wont have to go to sleep so soon. I'm hoping they just want me here to go over instructions, get oriented, get ready for bed and relax before going to sleep. I also don't know why I have to go in, even the dr prescribing the study said he doubted I have sleep apnea. Oh well, I guess I'll just jump through the hoops. It'll be my last test, then I think they'll submit my information to insurance :scared2:

I didn't need to have one. I did have to bring home one of those pulse oximetry meters and sleep with it on my finger for a night. it recorded my O2 levels and they were good all night so I didn't need the sleep study. Which was great because like you guys I am a PICKY sleeper! It seems it takes an act of God some nights to get me to sleep. No chance of it hooked up to machines in a weird bed unless I was drugged.

I had my sleep study a couple of weeks ago. I hope I will never have to go through that again. They had some 150 wires on my head and one right on my neck which left a bruise for over a week.

I don't know what all the hub-bub is about a sleep study. The worst part of it is getting the lumpy gunk out of your hair where the wires were held in place during the EEG for brain wave activity. Then there's the EKG, which will tell if your heart stopped beating for a second. The sleep study is an indicator for when a person is put under anesthesia to see if they have decreased breathing patterns or stoppage.

I had a sleep study about 3 weeks ago. It really wasn't that bad. The hardest part was trying to sleep with the wires. My husband and I travel alot so the "strange bed" really wasn't an issue for me. The bed was comfortable, I brought my own pillow, my favorite and most comfortable-ist jammies, a good book and my ipod. There was a television in the room and I could bring all the Snacks and things I wanted to bring - I brought some pretzels and a bottle of sparkling water! They don't insist that you do anything that you wouldn't do at home. If you go to sleep late with the television on, then go to sleep late with the television on. I didn't even know they were there most times. A few times during the night the tech had to come in because I knocked a few wires off - but that is the only time I saw her.

I wouldn't recommend taking anything that "helps" you sleep - on your own. Some medications will give a false result because of the way you sleep while on it. I am sure that if you need something to relax you it will be prescribed so that they can take that into account when determining your results.

I have a follow-up test this saturday - yes, I was found to have sleep apnea. So, I will be thinking about you and hoping that all goes well with you! Good Luck!! You'll be fine!

~Lisa

Edited by Lisa_MC

Oops, I didn't see any other sleep study threads when I started mine.

I was given Ambien ct. I watched an apnea video and did a little channel checking but felt a bit of a sleepy drift and decided to turn off the tv. I didn't feel heavily drugged, and was up 2 times to use the bathroom.

Hopefully I wil be tired, I will be at work 8am -6pm that day, and I have to get there at 9 pm, so hopefully I will be tired, or maybe they will give me something. I am glad to hear they have TV's in the room (I hope it is in all centers) My job asked me to work at 8 am the day after (or the day I wake up) and they said yu leave at 6:30, so I had to say no, because by the time I get hme and take a shower and walk the dogs, I won't be able to get there in time (Well I didn't tell her that, I just said that I could not) and I am not sure how restful the nights sleep will be.

I am kind of a light sleeper sometimes Though I do live near train tracks and that doesn't wake me up, but when I am in a different place, I am.

I have to go in tomorrow night, so I hope it goes well. I better not have sleep apnea, or I am going to go crazy. Heck I went for my stress EKG today, and surprise it cam out normal. What a shocker considering I am 27 and don't have a huge risk factor for heart disease.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, Jess! Do your best! And know that it won't be that bad....:cursing:

Thank you Lisa_MC. I have to go in in about an hour. I hope I can sleep alright, but the fact that I did not sleep well last night, no caffeine today and I have been tired for a few hours, I am hoping I can fall asleep relatively easily. I am worried about having all those wires on me. I can be a rough sleeper.

My sleep study (s) test were nightmares. I dont snore but I never slept thru the night. I also had some facial nerve damage and during the first sleep study at about 2:00 am the nurse came into my room and told me I have to put the mask onfor the 2nd phase, Other than the nerve damage I am very claustraphobic so the mask lasted about 30 seconds before i ripped it off. long story short I left and drove home around 2:15 am in the morning.

after getting the results my doctor ordered this million dollar specialy made mask for me to wear and some valium to take before hand. I take two valium at 9:00pm and I get there at 10:00pm and pop another valium and it takes about 45 minutes to hook up all the wires . then I put on the mask. and I keep telling myself relax. I last about 10 minutes before I go crazy and pull the mask off. at 11:30pm my wife had to come and get me cause I couldnt drive. I was so afraid and worried that because i failed the sleep test(twice) the were going to call off my surgery. I didnt sleep for 3 days at all until I went back to the doctor. Then he told me that they wouldnt cancel my surgery cause of the sleep test..I felt much more at ease after that. I just had tyo make sure the anesteshologist knew about my sleep apnea before the surgery so he could take extra precautions............ but now I sleep like a baby right thru the night. not having all that weight pressing against my lungs also helps out...lol

I have to do one as well. Just because of my weight and because I dont feel like I got any sleep at all even after 8 or 9 hours of sleep! Luckily I wont have to go anywhere, someone will come to my house and hook me up for the night and come back the next day!