Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

While I've had a carbonated drink every now and then since surgery, my doctor repeatedly tells me on fill visits to have NO CARBONATION. It hasn't killed me, but the explanation he gave me on my last visit finally made sense...the carbonation from the drink expands your small pouch, thereby needing more food to feel full. I'm dancing pretty close to restriction right now (8.5cc in a 14cc band) and it is AWESOME. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my portion sizes, my full feeling, weight loss, etc. So while I'm not going to beat myself up from having an occasional Diet Coke (I was a DC whore pre-band), and alcoholic drinks have always been in moderation (although now I stick to screwdrivers instead of carbonated beer)...I'd rather let the LapBand work the way it's supposed to instead of potentially screwing myself.

Bands are going to slip, erode, tear, etc. for a BAJILLION reasons - why not just kick the habit? Will one Diet Coke every now and then (I'm talking once a month, maybe), kill my progress? Maybe not. But the old addiction of 100+ oz. of Diet Coke a day isn't worth any potential risks, to me.

My surgeon had not said no soda, but I've only seen him once so far, I have an appointment on Tuesday, so will ask then. I have not had surgery yet, still doing the pre op tests. I will be quite sad if I can never drink soda again. Well since I started not drinking with meals it has drastically reduced my soda intake, because I used to drink a can with lunch and dinner and wylers the rest of the day. I still have one every few days and don't want to give it up completely. I don't drink coffee or anything, so if I am really tired and I need some caffeine to wake me up a diet coke is all I really have for caffeine.

What about iced tea? I drink it by the bucketful now, whereas it was an occasional delicacy pre-band (because I preferred and drank Diet Coke). I drink it unsweetened, have a lovely iced tea maker at home, and find that it's a great alternative to soda when I'm out and about and need to dash into a gas station or fast food drive through for something to drink. Water and iced tea have definitely replaced my addiction to Diet Coke. :smile2:

My dr said no soda,, i stopped before i even had my surgery - 2 months before acutally - I thought i was dying for a soda a month or so ago and had a sip of hubbys and ya know what -- I HATED it.. tasted horrid,, made my burp like crazy even after only one sip.. definitely not something i miss.

My mouth is watering just thinking about a diet coke.. I miss it so much!!!!!!!!

I haven't had one since surgery which was on January 8, 2010. Although I wasn't a chronic drinker(maybe a couple in a week) I don't enjoy tea, coffee or many things besides a diet soda(I like a few but if its brown it has to be a diet coke because diet pepsi is way too sweet)

Every day I probably want one especially if we are eating out. I love Water and all but get bored. Fruit drinks and fruit-flavored drinks are carb-ridden so I drink Powerade zero, Fuze low carb or flavor packs in bottled Water. I make a pitcher of sugar free koolaid, like Crystal Light. Every day I want a soda and think about it, I just remember well I've already gone this long without one, why break the streak.

It's more of a competition with myself. I have fought my willpower all my life and it is just one more area in food where I will triumph and not live to eat rather than eat to live. Now icecream is another story.

Plus I have something to brag about....."so your not drinking a soda", "no, I haven't had one in over 6 months", "oh that must be why you are glowing so much", "thank you so much".

Plus now that my sugar is stable, I am not as thirsty as much and completely hydrated due to all the water I inhale.

Weird...since surgery, no sodas and weight loss, I don't even have a desire to really drink alcohol, I think I might have had a beer or 2 in six months and one or two cocktails, it all has just left me.

God, I feel your pain. I was SUCH a soda addict pre op. When I found out about the no carbonation rule for bandsters, I weaned myself before instead of doing it cold turkey after the surgery, but JEEZ was it tough. Some days it still is. But as some of the other posters mentioned, your tastes do change after a little while. I did try one and it was kind of salty to me. Mind you, I was one of the ones that HAD to have that heavy carbonation, that burning sensation in the back of your throat (ah, what a feeling), but it's not the same to me anymore.

After my one moment of weakness having a couple of sips of soda, I immediately looked online about the repercussions carbonation could cause for the band and I found a couple of things saying it could stretch the pouch. I am sure that's after many incidents of regularly drinking it though. Once you get past a certain point, I imagine it would be okay to have it as an occasional treat if it still is that hard for you. Luckily, it took that one taste for me to realize that I prefer Wylers's caffeine free raspberry iced tea now :-) Hang in there! It does get better!

oh and after surgery I had a dream about a nice cold diet coke, fizzing and crackling (like you see in the movie theatre greetings) It was almost sexual.

I was surprised to find out I didn't like it anymore!! I drink a small one occasionally and it reminds me I just don't like it anymore!! The only thing I like is Water and wine!! :bolt: hugs!!!

I personally have switched to Iced tea, but when I first saw my MD, they gave me a DVD explaining all the bariatric surgeries, patient success stories and myths. One of the "myths" discussed was that carbonation can hurt your band or stretch your pouch. The surgeon explained that because sodas are liquid they pass right through the band and therefore cannot stretch the pouch on top of the band. Of course they said no regular sodas because of the sugar. Prior to my surgery I drank most of my diet coke with meals and now that I haven't been doing that for a month, I think I have kicked the addiction. In the future though, I won't worry if I want to have a soda.

Remember that people who drink soda, diet or otherwise weigh 20% more than people who drink water!!!!

I drink soda, maybe 1-2 a week. I pour a can into a 20oz bottle and shake the crap out of it repeatedly until it's almost fizzless. I still drink a crapload of Water, though.

I was a Diet Coke addict, gave it up a couple weeks before surgery and haven't looked back. I also gave up artificial sweeteners. Really, its the best thing for you. Your body wants Water, just plain Water. All those chemicals and artificial sweeteners deaden your tastebuds to the good taste of real food and make you crave more sugar and stronger tasting (highly processed) foods.

My chronic high bp came down so fast after surgery. I've lost a lot more weight before and my bp never came down. Sometimes I wonder if there is any connection between all those chemicals in the Diet Coke and my high bp. I actually developed high bp around the same time that I started drinking a lot of Diet Coke. Anyway, there's no way I'll ever know if there is a connection unless someone does a real medical study on this. But, it does seem possible since high bp can be caused (or made worse) by inflamation in the body and our bodies do have an inflamation response to chemicals and highly processed foods.

I'm so glad to hear that I was not the only Diet Coke addict out there. I gave it up when I started on the insurance plans "6 month" diet plan before my surgery in May. I do miss it but I'm too afraid to try it.

I had my port to flip on me so I had to have a 2nd surgery 2 weeks ago. I didn't do anything "wrong" I have been following orders and it still happened so I'm too afraid to push the limits and cheat and really have something bad to happen.

But yeah...I miss my old friend... for sure, oh well glug glug sucking down the Water will fill it. :)

I was a Diet Coke addict, gave it up a couple weeks before surgery and haven't looked back. I also gave up artificial sweeteners. Really, its the best thing for you. Your body wants Water, just plain Water. All those chemicals and artificial sweeteners deaden your tastebuds to the good taste of real food and make you crave more sugar and stronger tasting (highly processed) foods.

My chronic high bp came down so fast after surgery. I've lost a lot more weight before and my bp never came down. Sometimes I wonder if there is any connection between all those chemicals in the Diet Coke and my high bp. I actually developed high bp around the same time that I started drinking a lot of Diet Coke. Anyway, there's no way I'll ever know if there is a connection unless someone does a real medical study on this. But, it does seem possible since high bp can be caused (or made worse) by inflamation in the body and our bodies do have an inflamation response to chemicals and highly processed foods.

It totally could be the diet coke. I had to be salt free with my first pregnancy and was told not to use diet sodas because of the sodium!! Hugs!!!

I may not be around to see it but I would like to be able to sit back and enjoy the 'canned soda equivalent' of the tabacco litigation thing that is going on currently. They thought smoking wasn't danerous for us and now folks are wanting to sue for damages and blame someone for their lung cancer.

There has never been a generation that has consumed this much artificially created drink from the cradle onwards and it shouldn't be much longer before we start to see the effects of it.

Lambs to the slaughter, move over ciggies...another evil villain is about to be recognised, another wolf in sheeps clothing.

Then it will be: blame the government, blame the ad men, blame everyone else....heaven forbid we should work it out for ourselves...Noooooo, not our own fault, how should we know it's not safe...we're only people with brains and the ability to think freely, how could we possibly have worked it out.

Make your choice folks and then you get to live with the consequences. Take your pick 'better safe than sorry? or 'whatever'.

TTFN