Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

~*~ Workout Challenge and Chat Thread ~*~

You are exercising and that is the important thing. :biggrin: That is great that you are off some meds too!

I took it pretty easy last week, after I over did it on my knee. I did more upper body stuff and some biking on the reclining bike. I'm back to normal now though. :) I have been doing more on the elliptical and have upped my weights as well.

I decided that rather than do all cardio one day and then almost all weights the next, I'll be more consistent. I'll do more cardio on my weight days and do some weights on my cardio days. I'm also going to start shuffling up the cardio, rather than sticking to the elliptical all of the time. We'll see how that goes.

I hope everyone is doing well!

That sounds like a great idea Mary! Sometimes mixing things up will keep you motivated and not feel so much like you get bored. :lol2:

Does anyone use a kettlebell in their workout? A few months ago it was all the rage, now I don't hear much about it. I had a workout with one yesterday and it was good and made me sweat!!

Mimi

Does anyone use a kettlebell in their workout? A few months ago it was all the rage, now I don't hear much about it. I had a workout with one yesterday and it was good and made me sweat!!

Mimi

Actually this workout has always intrigued me. I think I might go get some eventually. It does seem like some fun!

But for now I think beginning Saturday I'll add in a little bit of Stationary Bike. Baby steps! That's what I'm all about right now... :biggrin:

Actually this workout has always intrigued me. I think I might go get some eventually. It does seem like some fun!

But for now I think beginning Saturday I'll add in a little bit of Stationary Bike. Baby steps! That's what I'm all about right now... B)

I've always thought that sounded interesting too. I've used some weighted balls, but I don't think it is quite the same thing.

I've been working a TON lately. Sunday my family went to the pool and I was able to swim some laps--1 mile in 45 minutes! I didn't think that was too bad, considering I haven't swum that far in years. But, Mon. and Tues. I didn't do anything. Both evenings I did work at home and Tuesday I went to work early too. After yesterday I decided to forget about coming in early if I was already staying late and doing work at home, so I am back at the gym in the am again.

Today I tried a new machine. I can't remember what it is called-it is similar to an elliptical, but it is much harder for me! I was really panting and my heart rate was really up there when I finished my 45 minutes. My legs were still pretty wobbly feeling a couple of hours later. It was great! :rolleyes2:

I haven't been feeling good about my food decisions, or the # of calories I've been burning lately. I've felt like I've really needed to step it up and stop eating. I felt a lot better today after I stepped on the scale. After 2 weeks at a plateau, I lost 3 lbs! I guess I needed to do what I've been doing. :blush:

I'm back at it again in the morning. Saturday I'm taking my Girl Scout troop to a farm to pick veggies and Sunday am taking my kids to climb trees. I'm hoping that both of those activities involve a lot of activity from me. :0

I've always thought that sounded interesting too. I've used some weighted balls, but I don't think it is quite the same thing.

I've been working a TON lately. Sunday my family went to the pool and I was able to swim some laps--1 mile in 45 minutes! I didn't think that was too bad, considering I haven't swum that far in years. But, Mon. and Tues. I didn't do anything. Both evenings I did work at home and Tuesday I went to work early too. After yesterday I decided to forget about coming in early if I was already staying late and doing work at home, so I am back at the gym in the am again.

Today I tried a new machine. I can't remember what it is called-it is similar to an elliptical, but it is much harder for me! I was really panting and my heart rate was really up there when I finished my 45 minutes. My legs were still pretty wobbly feeling a couple of hours later. It was great! :)

I haven't been feeling good about my food decisions, or the # of calories I've been burning lately. I've felt like I've really needed to step it up and stop eating. I felt a lot better today after I stepped on the scale. After 2 weeks at a plateau, I lost 3 lbs! I guess I needed to do what I've been doing. :)

I'm back at it again in the morning. Saturday I'm taking my Girl Scout troop to a farm to pick veggies and Sunday am taking my kids to climb trees. I'm hoping that both of those activities involve a lot of activity from me. :0

Hi Mary and everyone!

Well I'm still not doing too much. I did a mile on the treadmill today and it took me 24 minutes, so it was pretty leisurely.

I do want to get on my stationary bike later so we'll see how that goes! I'll probably just do the 20 minute routine pre-installed on the machine. I've really only been doing about 30-60 minutes of any kind of physical activity per day. I wouldn't even go as far to call it a real workout. Just taking it easy right now. :) However the main thing is I'm doing something... no matter what, that's most important.

Just movin' it one day at a time.

Mary, I'm pretty sure I know which machine your talking about. Was it the one they showed on Biggest Loser this week? It kinda more sways back and forth rather than around and around... perhaps?

Anyway I think you are doing excellent for being so busy! Just do what you can and hang in there. :smile2:

Stay true everyone! Staying active is a huge part of our success. :drool:

How is everyone doing?

I was able to swim 100 laps on Friday! It was much slower than I used to do it, but at least I finished it. :unsure: I did quite a bit of walking over the weekend and a bit today. It will be back at the gym again for me tomorrow. I'm seeing the trainer again on Saturday, so I need to get ready--I haven't seen her in a couple of weeks.

I was so happy today--I was able to run for 23 minutes! I know it doesn't sound like much, but it was an accomplishment for me. I wasn't totally miserable and my knee didn't hurt and I got in a good workout. :)

I was so happy today--I was able to run for 23 minutes! I know it doesn't sound like much, but it was an accomplishment for me. I wasn't totally miserable and my knee didn't hurt and I got in a good workout. :)

Mary AWESOME!!!! You are on your way lady!

Ok so this week I am gonna get back to my workouts big time. I'm going to start adding in 20-25 Minutes of elliptical or stationary bike. I'm back up to 2 miles or more walking 6 days per week (WHOOT!!) and my calisthenics for 30 Minutes 3x per week.

Let's do this!!!!

Mary AWESOME!!!! You are on your way lady!

Ok so this week I am gonna get back to my workouts big time. I'm going to start adding in 20-25 Minutes of elliptical or stationary bike. I'm back up to 2 miles or more walking 6 days per week (WHOOT!!) and my calisthenics for 30 Minutes 3x per week.

Let's do this!!!!

Hi, Everyone!

How did it go LilMiss with the cardio and the increased workouts? That is great that you are walking 2 miles or more!

My big news is that I ran 3 miles yesterday! I ran on Tuesday for 40 mins and did 2.87 miles, so I figured I would just run another 40 minutes yesterday. I went a bit faster and did 3 miles--I was so excited I had to call my husband as soon as I got to work. :)

Now I have to get something so I can walk again. My heels are killing me and I don't know if it is my shoes, which I haven't worn that much, or if I just need some kind of cushion in them. I'm going to the running store tomorrow to check it out.

My new goal is to be able to run 3x/wk instead of just 2.

Hi, Everyone!

How did it go LilMiss with the cardio and the increased workouts? That is great that you are walking 2 miles or more!

My big news is that I ran 3 miles yesterday! I ran on Tuesday for 40 mins and did 2.87 miles, so I figured I would just run another 40 minutes yesterday. I went a bit faster and did 3 miles--I was so excited I had to call my husband as soon as I got to work. :huh2:

Now I have to get something so I can walk again. My heels are killing me and I don't know if it is my shoes, which I haven't worn that much, or if I just need some kind of cushion in them. I'm going to the running store tomorrow to check it out.

My new goal is to be able to run 3x/wk instead of just 2.

Mary BIG WOWS!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: Way to go!!!!! You know you did a 5K right? That's about 3.1 miles... fantastic!!! I'm super happy for you!! That is my dream, girl... so awesome! :huh2:

As for me the answer was no! :plane: I didn't start my workouts but I'm really just making dumb excuses. I really gotta get on the ball again. I haven't even done any walking in almost a week now... *sigh* but I'm having my High Fiber oatmeal for lunch then heading out for a walk of about 2.25 miles. Starting over is harder than one might think.

I will get on my elliptical tonight - even if its only 15 minutes. I'll be back on it full time in no time but gotta build up to it. Once the stamina gets going there's no stopping me.

I'll check back soon because someone needs to keep me real on the workouts by golly!!! LOL :)

Mary BIG WOWS!!!!!!!!!! :huh2: Way to go!!!!! You know you did a 5K right? That's about 3.1 miles... fantastic!!! I'm super happy for you!! That is my dream, girl... so awesome! :)

As for me the answer was no! :biggrin: I didn't start my workouts but I'm really just making dumb excuses. I really gotta get on the ball again. I haven't even done any walking in almost a week now... *sigh* but I'm having my High Fiber oatmeal for lunch then heading out for a walk of about 2.25 miles. Starting over is harder than one might think.

I will get on my elliptical tonight - even if its only 15 minutes. I'll be back on it full time in no time but gotta build up to it. Once the stamina gets going there's no stopping me.

I'll check back soon because someone needs to keep me real on the workouts by golly!!! LOL :huh2:

Thanks! I did a mile today and was really dragging, so I'll take a break from running for a few days. :plane:

It is SO hard to go back to it when I've taken just a couple of days off. I really have to drag myself back. I completely understand. To me, it is almost harder when you stop and try to go back again, than it is just to get started.

I'm sure you will do great tonight on the elliptical! Did you have a nice walk?

Thanks! I did a mile today and was really dragging, so I'll take a break from running for a few days. :thumbup:

It is SO hard to go back to it when I've taken just a couple of days off. I really have to drag myself back. I completely understand. To me, it is almost harder when you stop and try to go back again, than it is just to get started.

I'm sure you will do great tonight on the elliptical! Did you have a nice walk?

Mary, firstly -- CONGRATULATIONS ON HITTING GOAL LADY!!! Great for you! You have done amazingly well. :lol:

Hey, a mile's a mile... at least you did it. I don't blame you, I mean sometimes we really do need a break for a day or so. However, for me it's been tooooo long!! LMAO!! It's all good. I'm back at it though and that's all that matters.

I did super good yesterday!

I did 2.25 miles on my lunch break at work, I did 17 minutes on my elliptical... and 30 minutes with my calisthenics. I work on my upper arms and thighs especially because those are my trouble areas.

Now, as for the elliptical.. I think I did pretty good considering I hadn't been on there for about 6 weeks at least. I did bump it up to resistance 5 though, so I didn't go too easy on myself. I want to be back up to 30 minutes within the next 2 weeks.

Keep up the momentum girlie! You're the reason I keep coming back and sticking with what I'm supposed to be doing. :P Hugs!!!

Mary, firstly -- CONGRATULATIONS ON HITTING GOAL LADY!!! Great for you! You have done amazingly well. :thumbup:

Hey, a mile's a mile... at least you did it. I don't blame you, I mean sometimes we really do need a break for a day or so. However, for me it's been tooooo long!! LMAO!! It's all good. I'm back at it though and that's all that matters.

I did super good yesterday!

I did 2.25 miles on my lunch break at work, I did 17 minutes on my elliptical... and 30 minutes with my calisthenics. I work on my upper arms and thighs especially because those are my trouble areas.

Now, as for the elliptical.. I think I did pretty good considering I hadn't been on there for about 6 weeks at least. I did bump it up to resistance 5 though, so I didn't go too easy on myself. I want to be back up to 30 minutes within the next 2 weeks.

Keep up the momentum girlie! You're the reason I keep coming back and sticking with what I'm supposed to be doing. :lol: Hugs!!!

Thank you! I want to lose another 10, but the Dr. thought that this was a good place to stop, so I'm happy. :P

You did great! I'm impressed you can walk that much at work on your lunch break. You walk a lot faster than I do. You ae doing awesome for beimg off for awhile too. You'll be back where you were before you know it. :smile:

Tomorrow is my day to sleep in an extra hour and I'm really looking forward to it! I am so tired! I was supposed to go to a Girl Scout Leader meeting tonight and I'm even skipping that. I would rather stay home and watch Hannah Montana Forever with my daughter. LOL

I will be back at the Y again on Thursday and hopefully will be able to repeat the 3 miles again.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you! I want to lose another 10, but the Dr. thought that this was a good place to stop, so I'm happy. :smile2:

You did great! I'm impressed you can walk that much at work on your lunch break. You walk a lot faster than I do. You ae doing awesome for beimg off for awhile too. You'll be back where you were before you know it. :(

Tomorrow is my day to sleep in an extra hour and I'm really looking forward to it! I am so tired! I was supposed to go to a Girl Scout Leader meeting tonight and I'm even skipping that. I would rather stay home and watch Hannah Montana Forever with my daughter. LOL

I will be back at the Y again on Thursday and hopefully will be able to repeat the 3 miles again.

Keep up the great work!

Good idea on lowering the goal. I was always told to make a goal and minus 10 Lbs. and the reason is because if you should start to gain some back, you will have time to catch it and make it right again. GREAT JOB!!!

For me I definitely plan to add that extra 10 Lbs. It will seem weird for me being so thin, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. :)

I am officially now back into my 16's. I'm so glad! I had gained back into my 22's *cry* but hey, I had to take my life back and get back into control. I'm doing it now though and feeling super incredible!!! I'm down 33 Lbs. from where I'd gained back from too. Back down into the 240's -- so I'm rocking and rolling here! :thumbup:

Yesterday was my workout off day - so I didn't do much there. But Thursday I really hit a home run! I worked out for over 2 hours all at once. I did my treadmill for over 45 minutes, my Stationary Bike for 48 mins and did 30 mins of Calisthenics. I concentrate mostly on my upper arms and thigh and buttocks areas - as those tend to be my trouble spots.

I plan to do more of the same today! I do believe this girls' routine is finally back on hit! :)

Have a great weekend!!!!

Hey does anyone know about a website that you can put in a route (say Pennsylvania to California) and as you walk/run/go on the elliptical, you can input your miles and it will tell you where on your "route" you are? I saw a website like that once, but can't find it now. I would like to do that and then when I walk the amount of miles to complete my "route", maybe I'll take a vacation to the destination. Seems like a fun challenge, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a website that did something like that. Thanks!