Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

~*~ Workout Challenge and Chat Thread ~*~

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to come in, say hi, and encourage everyone to keep up the great work.

After I was banded nearly two years ago, I started walking with a purpose - I did go to the gym, did some walking, but obviously not nearly enough! :wub:

Now I walk a minimum of 2 miles a day, and often more than that. My DDog is my walking partner and never fails to go with me - rain or shine! Last October I ran my first 5K after completing the Couch to 5k program. I repeated some weeks and took my time. Having a race to prepare for really helped with motivation.

I've been running a couple of days a week, but increased my running lately because I've been having trouble maintaining my weight after a slight unfill in April - I'm having the fill put back in, but my appt isn't for about 3 more weeks.

Best recommendation I can give for new and continuing runners is to get GOOD SHOES! I can tell the difference in my good running shoes and my cross trainers - especially during a 3-mile or more run!

Have a great week everyone! ;)

GG: Heal quick! I know you are feeling like you want to run again, but please PLEASE let your stitches heal. And darnit if your Hubby is makin ya wait J He’s doing the right thing, but I’m sure you already recognize that. The stitches will be out in no time and you will be running once again.

The eating sweets thing, well, its one of those awful things! I’ve actually been able to manage mine. I’ve even been eating them from time to time, but after I just move on and I’m back to being good. I don’t really know why lately but I’ve had an excellent handle on my eating habits.

I know you have heard this a million times, but if I can do it – anyone can!

NicVio: Welcome!! It sounds like you are jumping right in with both feet! Check in and let us know how you’re doing. Working out is a huge part of the success of weight loss and maintenance J

Hi Ebony!! Nice to see you! Thanks for the uplifting message. I’m likely never going to be a long distance runner, as my genetics has carved my future for that. However I do what I can J I hope you can get your fill soon! I know first hand how crazy that can be…

Mary, thanks for checkin on me! I’ve been doing my thing. I’ve mostly cooled off a bit. The whole 3 hours of workout left me with no time for myself or nothing fun at all! LOL Sure, I like working out but that was just way too much. In looking back though it has helped! I’m down 6 Lbs from total last month. Not bad!

So right now for my workouts I’m doing a 1.25 mile walk at work in the early morning. So, no more 3 am wakeups to do a workout. I think it started to give me bags under my eyes, and I can’t deal with that! LOL Then when I get home and have some dinner, and afterwards I put in about 30 minutes to an hour some cardio and some calisthenics or weight lifting. Not bad. J

Someone gave me the idea to set tiny goals for myself. I started to do that, and I think that was probably the best idea I’ve heard in a long time. It does set things into perspective for me. It makes my weight loss way more manageable and relaxing. When I only look to the long goal it seems like its a million miles away. …Very discouraging. I must only use manageable and encouraging tools to get what I want.

Good Morning, you all are amazing - I just started commiting myself to working out every day, its not much right now - i do a work out dvd that equates to 3miles of walking. Its hard as hell and my muscles are telling me... YOU HAVENT WORKED OUT IN A LOOOONG TIME. lol. But i like the way its making me feel. I feel better, more alive like i can tackle anything. I am doing these dvd's every day 6days a week. Some days its hard to get the 3 miles in, so i can only do 2 @ times. But as long as im doing something, i guess its better than sitting on the couch watching TV or eating. Im going to keep this post thread in my favs and check back to see how you guys are doing... Keep up the good work....:)

Welcome NicVio!

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to come in, say hi, and encourage everyone to keep up the great work.

After I was banded nearly two years ago, I started walking with a purpose - I did go to the gym, did some walking, but obviously not nearly enough! :thumbup:

Now I walk a minimum of 2 miles a day, and often more than that. My DDog is my walking partner and never fails to go with me - rain or shine! Last October I ran my first 5K after completing the Couch to 5k program. I repeated some weeks and took my time. Having a race to prepare for really helped with motivation.

I've been running a couple of days a week, but increased my running lately because I've been having trouble maintaining my weight after a slight unfill in April - I'm having the fill put back in, but my appt isn't for about 3 more weeks.

Best recommendation I can give for new and continuing runners is to get GOOD SHOES! I can tell the difference in my good running shoes and my cross trainers - especially during a 3-mile or more run!

Have a great week everyone! :thumbup:

Hey Ebony! Good to hear from you! It's been a while. Keep up the great workouts!

GG: Heal quick! I know you are feeling like you want to run again, but please PLEASE let your stitches heal. And darnit if your Hubby is makin ya wait J He’s doing the right thing, but I’m sure you already recognize that. The stitches will be out in no time and you will be running once again.

The eating sweets thing, well, its one of those awful things! I’ve actually been able to manage mine. I’ve even been eating them from time to time, but after I just move on and I’m back to being good. I don’t really know why lately but I’ve had an excellent handle on my eating habits.

I know you have heard this a million times, but if I can do it – anyone can!

So right now for my workouts I’m doing a 1.25 mile walk at work in the early morning. So, no more 3 am wakeups to do a workout. I think it started to give me bags under my eyes, and I can’t deal with that! LOL Then when I get home and have some dinner, and afterwards I put in about 30 minutes to an hour some cardio and some calisthenics or weight lifting. Not bad. J

Someone gave me the idea to set tiny goals for myself. I started to do that, and I think that was probably the best idea I’ve heard in a long time. It does set things into perspective for me. It makes my weight loss way more manageable and relaxing. When I only look to the long goal it seems like its a million miles away. …Very discouraging. I must only use manageable and encouraging tools to get what I want.

I am being a good girl and abiding, lol. My hubby is a sweetie....he's looking out for me. I go back Aug. 10th to get the stitches out and I should have my lab results by then. Hopefully everything comes back normal. LilMiss, setting small goals is really smart. I think that's what I need to do.

I just completed day 2 of no sweets. So far so good. I have had a little sugar in certain foods (yogurt, Cereal, etc.), but not much refined sugar....that's the stuff that gets me in trouble. I'm getting a much needed fill tomorrow and they are still measuring my fluids every 2 weeks and documenting how much is missing. Hopefully they can get what they need and fix it soon!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Hi NicVio and Ebony!

I am being a good girl and abiding, lol. My hubby is a sweetie....he's looking out for me. I go back Aug. 10th to get the stitches out and I should have my lab results by then. Hopefully everything comes back normal. LilMiss, setting small goals is really smart. I think that's what I need to do.

I just completed day 2 of no sweets. So far so good. I have had a little sugar in certain foods (yogurt, Cereal, etc.), but not much refined sugar....that's the stuff that gets me in trouble. I'm getting a much needed fill tomorrow and they are still measuring my fluids every 2 weeks and documenting how much is missing. Hopefully they can get what they need and fix it soon!

Hope everyone has a great week!

GG, I hope you are able to get your stitches out on 8/10. That is so great to do days with no sugar! I need a lot more willpower than I have now to do that, although I need to. :cool2: I hope that your fill goes well and they are able to fix the issue soon.

LilMiss, Working out less and having more time for a life sounds good to me. :blushing: You are still doing great!

I just got back from my family reunion. I didn't do well eating wise, although not as bad as I had feared. I didn't track any of my food, even though I brought a notebook to do it. I did go on a 30 min (27 minute, my sister corrected me) power walk with my sister one day. Other than that, there was a lot of wandering around, sitting around and playing in the pool with the kids. I lost 3 lbs in the last week, so I was pretty happy about that.

I"m back to working out tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I Can get through my hundreds of emails quickly and finish up so I can get to the gym fairly early. I'm leaving again on Sat. am to NJ to visit my BIL and family. I'll be there until next Wed, and I know I won't be doing much exercise there either. I'll have to cram it all in, in 3 days!:tt2:

How is everyone doing?

Yesterday I did 10 mins on the stair climber and then 45 mins of weights. Today I did 30 min walk (at work), then 20 on the elliptical and 30 on the bike doing hills.

I'm going to go to the Y before work tomorrow--5 am!!:) (i'm not as good at getting up early like you are LilMiss ). I'm going to try the spinning workout they have. I was going to do it today, but there were a lot of people there and I have no idea how to adjust the bike! :) I'm going to try it in the am when there is no one around. Then, I'll do a few weights, squats and lunges.

I need to get home after work and start packing for our trip. I don't know why my husband can get by with one little backpack and the kids and I can take a HUGE suitcase of clothes and still run out!

According to the condo information, where we are staying, they have some kind of gym there, but no description of it. I'll bring my workout clothes in case I get ambitious. That 2 hour time difference on the East Coast kills me though. I'm thinking if I have time to work out--I have time to sleep. :smile2:

I hope everyone is having a good week and has a great weekend!

Mary

Mary, you are doing great! Keep it up! BTW, I'm not so great at getting up that early either....I struggle to get up at 7am, lol.

I'm getting my stitches out today! One of stitches came out in church yesterday, lol. It kinda freaked my hubby out! I am going to try to run tonight, if it's not too hot outside. I'm sooo ready to get back at it. I am going to start on week 4 again and see how it goes. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

How is everyone else doing? Let's keep encouraging one another!

Good morning everyone!

I have been doing pretty good with my routine. Yes, I’ve still been getting up at 3 am to get that early morning workout in. I have to or I won’t do it at all. I really can’t say why that is the case, it’s just the way I am. It gets me set for the day! I’ve been doing about 20-25 minute routines first thing in the morning, and do about a 30 minute routine at night. Very light evening routine as well. It seems to be doing pretty good so far! I haven’t lost any weight but at least I’m doing what I need to do! My blood pressure has been up and exercising does address that.

GG, glad to hear your stitches are out! Now you can get back to your C25K again… I know you’ve been missing it. J Let us know how you’re progressing!

Mary, good for you on keeping us posted! I know I have not been doing that as much as I should, but I’m doing my workouts promise! It’s a light duty version, but I’m doing them! That’s all that matters.

Until next time everyone! Where are the new posters who popped in? Leaving us already? Hope not!!

LilMiss, 3 am? Wow...that's dedication! Good for you!

I got my stitches out today...whoo hooo! My labs came back okay, nothing cancerous. The place on my arms is a little of a concern. She called it Linear Porokeratosis. She froze it today, now it looks like I have a big worm under my skin....ick! She is going to have to keep a close eye on it though. Linear Porokeratosis is very prone to developing into cancer over time. As long as we watch it, it should be fine.

I didn't get to run tonight. It will probably be Thursday morning before I can do it. Tomorrow is a crazy, busy day!

Hope everyone is doing okay!

LilMiss, 3 am? Wow...that's dedication! Good for you!

I got my stitches out today...whoo hooo! My labs came back okay, nothing cancerous. The place on my arms is a little of a concern. She called it Linear Porokeratosis. She froze it today, now it looks like I have a big worm under my skin....ick! She is going to have to keep a close eye on it though. Linear Porokeratosis is very prone to developing into cancer over time. As long as we watch it, it should be fine.

I didn't get to run tonight. It will probably be Thursday morning before I can do it. Tomorrow is a crazy, busy day!

Hope everyone is doing okay!

GG, that is good news about the labs and it must feel great to get those stitches out! I hope everything is ok on your arm! Were you able to get your run in yesterday am?

LilMiss - 3 am?? You are REALLY dedicated! :)

I worked out 1x this weekend. :) I did spend most of the day Monday at a Water park with 6 kids though. It was on the side of a steep small mountain. So, I went up and down a lot! We also did quite a bit of walking on Wed am. We flew out that afternoon and finally the kids are old enough to walk around NYC. After we saw more family, we were able to walk around for about 4 hours before we had to head to the airport.

I was going to get up early on Thursday and go to the gym before work, but we didn't get home until after 9 pm on Wed. night and I had NO energy, so I skipped it. I didn't even do my walk at work because I had over 700 emails to go through!

This am I was able to get to the Y by 5 am and did 30 mins on the elliptical and 30 on the bike. Tomorrow I'll see the trainer and I have time to get in some cardio before then. Sunday, we are going to see an exhibit at the museum and the Y opens late, so I don't know if I'll make it or not. But, on Monday I can get into my routine again.

I need to start stretching again too. I can really tell that I haven't done it in a while. It has been a week!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

I hope everyone is doing well!

I have really been slowing down a bit. Guess I've been a little pre-occupied but I know I will need to bump it back up again! I can't slip up now!

mary, I hope you are doing good as well! Thank you for keeping me motivated. If no one posted here I probably would just drift off far, far away. So thank you!!

gg, hows the injury coming?? Have you gotten back to the C25K??

Hows everyone else?? Do your workouts! Your body and the scale will love you for it! :thumbup:

I have really been slowing down a bit. Guess I've been a little pre-occupied but I know I will need to bump it back up again! I can't slip up now!

mary, I hope you are doing good as well! Thank you for keeping me motivated. If no one posted here I probably would just drift off far, far away. So thank you!!

gg, hows the injury coming?? Have you gotten back to the C25K??

Hows everyone else?? Do your workouts! Your body and the scale will love you for it! :smile:

Thanks, I wish I could always keep myself motivated--esp.at 5 am! :biggrin: How are you doing LilMiss?

I've been trying to alternate between all cardio workouts and workouts with cardio and weights. This am I did 30 mins on the bike and then 70 mins for weights and abs. Yesterday it was only 5 mins or so of cardio, and another hour of weights (different ones). Tomorrow the kids are with a friend of ours all day so my hubby and I are going on a long bike ride in the morning--before it gets super hot.

GG, I've been thinking about that C25K that you are doing. Was it hard to get started and motivate yourself to begin? I hate running now, but it would be nice if I could like it--it is such good exercise.

GG and LilMiss, I hope you have a great weekend!

Hey all!! I'm going to get up early tomorrow and do my thing. I haven't been being good like I should be, and now its time again. I need to get my workout mojo back. I have been slacking...

Wish me luck! I'll come by tomorrow and let you all know how I did.

Hey all!! I'm going to get up early tomorrow and do my thing. I haven't been being good like I should be, and now its time again. I need to get my workout mojo back. I have been slacking...

Wish me luck! I'll come by tomorrow and let you all know how I did.

How did it go? I was SO tired this morning it was really hard to drag myself out of bed at 4:45! I knew if I didn't work out though, I would be beating myself up all day. I did a pretty easy workout though. Only 20 minutes on the bike and 35 mins. on the weights. I got to work 30 mins before I normally do on days I work out.

Tomorrow I'm seeing the trainer, so I'm sure it will be a good workout!

GG how are you doing?

How did it go? I was SO tired this morning it was really hard to drag myself out of bed at 4:45! I knew if I didn't work out though, I would be beating myself up all day. I did a pretty easy workout though. Only 20 minutes on the bike and 35 mins. on the weights. I got to work 30 mins before I normally do on days I work out.

Tomorrow I'm seeing the trainer, so I'm sure it will be a good workout!

GG how are you doing?

Hey Mary! :thumbup:

Well, I did get up that morning and only pulled a 20 minute workout and have done nothing since. I don't know what is wrong with me, I've been on the downswing this last few weeks. I have been spending a lot of time reading and reading and reading and can't seem to tear my eyes away from it! I know I'll get back into it when it matters most so I'm not all that worried.

Good for you on getting up early! I'm super proud of you :wub: You did lot too, I never usually do more than a 30 minute cardio session. I've never been able to do any type of weights or anything like that so early in the morning. So you have outperformed me even!

GG, how are things going?? Miss you lady!

Until next time workout buddies. :)