Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LB Friendly RESTURANTS!

Texas Roadhouse and Chili's have been the greatest. I just asked if it was alright to order from the kids menu and explained the reason. They were very receptive to it and did not have an issue. I have gone to a couple of "mom & pop" Breakfast places and they did not care whether or not (rules were rules for the kids menu). I just ended up ordering sides (which was perfect),

Friendly's

Cracker Barrell

Dennys ( you can order off kids or seniors)

TGIF's

... and these places didn't even make me show the card... haven't really ran into any problems with eating out, either order a kids meal (if there's a healthy choice) or just order Soup or appetizer:)

All restaurants are lapband friendly. Just order off of the kids menu.

If you want to get picky, you can drive down to Dallas and check out this place: http://www.eattheworld.com/. The owner has had lapband surgery. I haven't tried it yet. I am considering setting up some kind of get together there.

Hey we live in the same town:)

I don't have a card and if I did, I don't think I'd ever show it. Firstly, I don't want to discuss private details of my surgery with a waiter. Secondly, it was my choice to have this surgery. Why should a restaurant be forced to bend rules for me? Especially when Im perfectly capable of wrapping the leftovers up and taking them home. The thought of showing a card to a waiter makes me really uncomfortable.

On the other hand, it's probably not a bad idea to have one in case you are in an emergency and you need to be taken to the ER. That way the doc will know your situation if you're unable to verbalize it.

I don't bother with it either - honestly I hate the questions/comments that come with telling people I have been banded, more often it is negative comments from people. Most of the time I order a salad and just eat a bit from my families plates. If we are with friends or coworkers I just order a meal and take left overs home.

i've done it all...

i usually order off the kids menu too. i've only had one local restaurant tell me i couldn't.

i've ordered an adult meal and taken the rest home.

i've ordered just an appetizer.

and i've shared meals with family members too!

Yea think i'd feel weird using it. haha.

I wish we had a thread for restaurants, with ideas of what to order maybe? I'm pretty new at this whole thing, but my family and friends, eat out all the time. I'm concerned about finding things that are more nutritious.

Yea think i'd feel weird using it. haha.

I wish we had a thread for restaurants, with ideas of what to order maybe? I'm pretty new at this whole thing, but my family and friends, eat out all the time. I'm concerned about finding things that are more nutritious.

Before I go out, I try to check the menu before we go. That way I can plan what I'm going to order. I try to stick to the Proteins and stay away from pastas, rice etc. (not that I don't ever eat that stuff, but not at a restaurant because I have no idea how they prepare it). This is what I did with a menu item last week. From the menu: "Fresh fillet of salmon rolled in coarsely ground black pepper, sautéed and seared with a lemon-chive beurre blanc, with potatoes". I asked for the salmon to be broiled without any oil or fat instead of sauteed (I also asked how many ounces the salmon was...I'm anal about knowing these details). I asked for the beurre blanc on the side and I asked for steamed veggies without butter instead of the potatoes. All in all, it turned out to be a really healthy meal. We went out to dinner this evening and I had King crab legs. They were already prepared steamed without butter, but of course the butter comes on the side. Instead of butter, I asked for aioli on the side. I used a coffee spoon and scooped approximately a tablespoon of the aioli (and left the rest) and dipped my crab in that.

Again, many people don't fuss with all of the asking for things on the side, or asking restaurants to prepare foods without oil or butter, and they just eat the food as is. But I prefer to have a little more control over what I'm eating when I go out (I cook decadently but I know what the nutrition facts are of what I make). So thats how I handle it. Now and again I just have what I want (special occasion or whatever). But in general, that's what I do and it works pretty well. If I can't eat everything on my plate, my fiance eats it or we take it home. If there is an appetizer portion of something that is meal-like, I may order that (but often appetizers are not the most nutritious items on the menu).

That's true. I'm not on solid food yet, but I'm guessing i'll just eat what I can and take home or toss the rest. A lot of places have "healthy" options these days, I know in California they started forcing chain restaurants to put calories on the menu, which in turn is forcing some healthier options. Or I guess regardless if I'm having a 1/3 of my entree, or 1 piece of pizza that's still FAR FAR FAR less than i was eating before, I'm sure the calories are fine.

I don't really like most children's menus; they often have many of the same foods (chicken tenders/nuggets, grilled cheese, hamburgers, etc.), things that I just don't care to get at the restaurants I go to. Besides, I love leftovers! :D I typically get a regular entree; once in a while I'll just get an appetizer or Soup.

I haven't tried to use my card either. If my husband decides he wants fast food I just order something with grilled chicken and eat my way around the tortilla or bread. Any leftovers I wrap up and bring home to put in the fridge for the next day.