Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused about eating and calories

Good Evening Folks- I'm in a bit of a dilemma and confused and thought maybe you could clear things up for me. My instructions from my Dr. says to eat 3 meals a day with no snacking in between. And also not to eat if not hungry. Okay today I started on real foods after 2 weeks of Clear Liquids and 1 weeks of full liquid. I don't have any fill yet. This morning I made a nice garden omelet with 297 calories. Wasn't hungry for lunch so skipped it. For dinner I had a homemade salad with some romaine, veggies, shaved chicken deli meat and cheese. So my total caloric intake for the day is about 715 calories and only about 30 grams of protein! I ate it even though I wasn't hungry. Chewed it up thoroughly. I'm to do the high Protein, low carb diet. I can't see where I'm gonna get the recommended protein every day. And these low calorie diets make me gain weight! My body probably thinks it's starving and hangs onto every ounce of fat! If I'm to get all this stuff in everyday shouldn't I be doing more frequent, smaller meals? Even though the Dr's. office says no eating between meals? Any suggestions?

Two words: Protein shakes.

You have to get at least 50 grams of Protein in whether you are hungry or not. Most Protein Shakes have between 15 and 30 grams of protein per serving. Try a few and see which ones you like and which you don't.

Your appetite will return and you'll probably be able to get the protein you need with little of no shakes.< /p>

I agree with the Protein shakes but also always eat your Protein first. Shaved chicken and cheese is fine, but you have to eat 3-4 ounces of it and then eat the low carb veggies. My doctor recommended no lettuce the frist 3-4 months just because it takes up valuable space that needs t be filled up by protein so you heal well. You have to get your protein in first. That and Water are the essentials.

When I was first banded I had the same experience and was only getting in about 600 calories a day. I worked on getting all my protein and getting in a bit more at meals so I got up to 800-900 per day.

You probably have some restriction from swelling from the surgery and that will slowly go away, most likely. I had restiction for the first 5-6 weeks. I actually have less restriction now after three fills than I felt I had then. Still working on finding the "sweet spot".

Good luck to you! Keep reading these posts - lots of valuable info here!:unsure:

When I was first banded I was told 3 meals but now my surgeon is recommending 4-6 small meals. They say this is the new way of thinking for Lapband. It is hard at first and then you will be able to do it and need fills. Yes, Protein shakes will help a lot at first. Then you will progress to needing to get solid Proteins.

Good luck!

I dont agree with eating only 3 meals a day. My body also holds on to every ounce of fat and the low calorie diets just dont work for me. I eat every 2-4 hours, I never allow myself to get hungry but I never allow myself to get that full feeling in my stomach. I was eating about 900-1100 calories, but it doesnt work for me, So far eating 1300-1500 calories works for me. I refuse to let my metabolism slow down from eating 3 meals a day.

I wasnt hungry at your stage either, I had a good 12 weeks where I just didnt care about food and it was GREAT, I lost heaps of weight.

I didnt worry about Protein at all, we're not really told to here, but if you're worried, then I guess shakes are the go, hungry or not.

As to eating when not hungry long term, in principle I agree with this BUT - big but - I find I dont feel physical hunger as in stomach rumbling and empty but I've learned to recognise by body sending strong signals that it is hungry and needs nourishment.

For example, yesterday I called in a the supermarket after work. I'd had an egg and some prunes for Breakfast, some cut up raw vegies at morning tea time, tuna on four crackers for lunch. It was maybe 400, 500 calories. I was buying Snacks for the kids and something for dinner and I actually grabbed a packet of chocolate biscuits, knowing I'd rip into them in the car before I even got home. I just had that insatiable I want sugar feeling. I stopped, took a deep breath, told myself to recognize that it was time for something nourishing to eat, and gave myself permission to eat when I got home (I have trouble stopping eating in between meals, 3 meals works for me but I cant take in enough at each meal to get me through). I'm glad to say I put the biscuits back and had some Peanut Butter on wholegrain crackers at home, with a cup of coffee and that insane sugar craving did go away.

So once banded, you might not get the empty stomach hunger signal but you have to learn that your body still needs healthy fuel and it will tell you so, but maybe not in the way you expect.

and I really do believe that much as 3 meals and no Snacks is really a very good and easy way to keep calories down, with good restriciton, you're very unlikely to be able to eat enough to get you though five, six or seven hours which is how far apart lunch and dinner can be for me.

When I was first banded I was told 3 meals but now my surgeon is recommending 4-6 small meals. They say this is the new way of thinking for LAP-BAND®.

Once you achieve satisfactory restriction, this is the way to go!

I dont agree with eating only 3 meals a day. My body also holds on to every ounce of fat and the low calorie diets just dont work for me. I eat every 2-4 hours, I never allow myself to get hungry but I never allow myself to get that full feeling in my stomach. I was eating about 900-1100 calories, but it doesnt work for me, So far eating 1300-1500 calories works for me. I refuse to let my metabolism slow down from eating 3 meals a day.

Upping the calories and exercise simultaneously is a great way to get your body to give up the fat!

Good luck and keep moving!

Brad

don't forget that you are setting up your way of life after surgery. if you continue to "snack" now, you may not change the way you are eating and be right back at your start weight one or two years after reaching goal.

My Weight Loss Control Center still says 3 meals plus a shake to ensure you get 90gms, yes 90 gms of Protein every day no matter your body weight/size They also tell us to get 80 to 100 oz of Water every day. If you are doing that, you shouldn't get hungry between meals. It is an all day challenge, let me tell you!

That plus Vitamins, and it takes me all day to get there. Some days I don't make it. I just try to do better the next day.

My surgeon and I had a discussion about "snacking."

His definition of snacking is brainless eating. Mine was eating between meals.

So, when he said no snacking, what he really meant was no brainless eating, but that I could eat healty, well-planned foods between meals if I was hungry.

So, generally my between meal foods contain Protein.

You are still early on, you may find your hunger increases as you continue to heal. Check with your surgeon as to what to do if you are not consuming enough calories and you are not hungry.

There are also Protein Shots that come in what looks like a large test tube. They containa about 30 g Protein. They have less volume than Protein Shakes so they may be easier for you to drink.

what is the name of them and where fto get them

My surgeon and I had a discussion about "snacking."

His definition of snacking is brainless eating. Mine was eating between meals.

So, when he said no snacking, what he really meant was no brainless eating, but that I could eat healty, well-planned foods between meals if I was hungry.

So, generally my between meal foods contain Protein.

You are still early on, you may find your hunger increases as you continue to heal. Check with your surgeon as to what to do if you are not consuming enough calories and you are not hungry.

:unsure: Your body needs a complete Protein source - one which provides all 8 essential amino acids - in order to avoid a catabolic state (your body will break down its own lean muscle tissue in order to supply itself with the amino acids it needs). Your body has no storage mechanism for protein except its' own muscle.

For this reason I strive to eat at least a small amount of a complete protein source every 3-4 hours or less. Some examples of complete Proteins are poultry, eggs, fish, animal meats, and dairy.

Brad

don't forget that you are setting up your way of life after surgery. if you continue to "snack" now, you may not change the way you are eating and be right back at your start weight one or two years after reaching goal.

My Weight Loss Control Center still says 3 meals plus a shake to ensure you get 90gms, yes 90 gms of Protein every day no matter your body weight/size They also tell us to get 80 to 100 oz of Water every day. If you are doing that, you shouldn't get hungry between meals. It is an all day challenge, let me tell you!

That plus Vitamins, and it takes me all day to get there. Some days I don't make it. I just try to do better the next day.

Cookie cutter approaches are pointless IMO. There is no way a 160 pound woman who is sedentary has the same Protein (or any other nutrient for that matter) needs as say a woman of the same weight who is leaner and leads an active lifestyle. Everone has to determine their own total daily energy expenditure and nutritional requirements. The principals are the same but the numerics will be different.

Brad

Cookie cutter approaches are pointless IMO. There is no way a 160 pound woman who is sedentary has the same Protein (or any other nutrient for that matter) needs as say a woman of the same weight who is leaner and leads an active lifestyle. Everone has to determine their own total daily energy expenditure and nutritional requirements. The principals are the same but the numerics will be different.

Brad

I understand that everyone wants to do it their way; however, we've all done it "our" way and gotten into the position of needing this life saving surgery.

My weight loss center is one of 5 in the nation noted for their success with patients as well as the quality of care received pre and post operative.

They really do individualize treatment, having said that; they have found in their research that all "bariatric" patients require certain things to succeed and thrive. As I chose this method out of my situation, I will defer to the experts. Just saying.

what is the name of them and where fto get them

Wal-Mart Sells some for only a couple buck each. They are called "Body Fortress Super whey Protein". They are 2.9 Fl Oz, 110 Calories, Zero Sugar and 26g Protein.

I always have a few laying around in case I'm in a sticky spot.