Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much calories do u consume daily?

I thought this was a good place for someone who is newly banded to ask an honest question, but you're right, maybe a message board of people pretending to be experts isn't the best place to get advice or guidance.

I thought this was a good place for someone who is newly banded to ask an honest question, but you're right, maybe a message board of people pretending to be experts isn't the best place to get advice or guidance.

People can only tell you how their band works and how they are doing things. We cant help you with why you cant consume more then 1000 calories. Do you log your food somewhere, maybe we can take a look at it and give you some suggestions, or maybe you can put your daily food intake here. We are here to help, but in reality you really should be able to consume more then 1000 calories easily.

I think it varies for everyone. Try to mix up your calories and see what gets the scale moving.

I usually eat around 400-700 calories a day, though I've hit 900+ before. As for the "starvation mode," I can't say I believe it. My doctor said no one, especially with the band, needs to eat above 1000 calories a day. I don't eat when I'm not hungry, as that isn't really healthy to me. I did that without the band. I eat 3 meals a day, and sometimes a snack if I need it, which is rare. My food usually holds me over for 3-4 hours, sometimes more.

I can't see myself eating above 1000 calories a day, especially when my food intake is limited to ONE cup of food and I watch my carbs religiously now. I guess some can. :) Either way, find an amount that works for you. Good luck!

As for the "starvation mode," I can't say I believe it. My doctor said no one, especially with the band, needs to eat above 1000 calories a day.

I personally couldnt be more happier that I found a doctor that doesn't think like this.

I believe in "starvation mode" , but i dont think I would call it that. I was limiting myself to 1000 calories a day, didnt lose a pound one week, so for the last 3-4 days I upped my calories to about 1500 and already lost three pounds, without even stepping into the gym for the last 3 days.

I agree with you, find what works for you, but I am so glad I am one of the people that can eat like a normal person and still lose the weight!

I am only 3 weeks post op and I am not getting more than 850 calories a day on liquids and purees. Is this normal? I want to make sure I am doing this right. I see alot of posts saying people are getting 1000 to 1500 calories a day.

I am only 3 weeks post op and I am not getting more than 850 calories a day on liquids and purees. Is this normal? I want to make sure I am doing this right. I see alot of posts saying people are getting 1000 to 1500 calories a day.

I think this is fine, I wasnt getting much during those stages either, but I also wasnt losing anything. Your doing great! Keep up the good work.

I'm six months postop, and have lost consistently and steadily on about 800 calories/day. Some bodies need more, other bodies need less. Mine is one that needs less--it always has, which is why I was banded in the first place.

People can only tell you how their band works and how they are doing things. We cant help you with why you cant consume more then 1000 calories. Do you log your food somewhere, maybe we can take a look at it and give you some suggestions, or maybe you can put your daily food intake here. We are here to help, but in reality you really should be able to consume more then 1000 calories easily.

That is spot on advice. Every body is its own experiment and adventure. What works for some may just as easily fail for someone else. We are here to help like a close friend would offer help without judgement. We were all on an island once but some have managed to build useful, productive, and friendly bridges to others. There are some matters that are better directed to professionals.

Peace out.

Certifiable nutcase! :biggrin: Both you and your witch-doctor. What in the world are you trying to do? Are you like 65 pounds! I just pulled this caveat off a calorie counter website: If your goal is to lose weight by burning off excess body fat, aim to eat 500 fewer calories per day than your daily caloric needs, and maintain or increase your exercise activity. Do not go below 1200 calories per day unless on a medically supervised weight loss program or after consultation with your doctor.

I would at least get a second opinion. I thought we were all here to lose weight and LIVE a healthier and overall better life. I have lost 90 pounds in just under four months averaging just over 3#/week now and I am doing between 900 and 1300 calories and exercising daily. My daily and healthy Snacks alone exceed 300.

You are jiving aren't you?:)

I am being supervised by a Dr. who I trust. People have different caloric needs and as long as I'm losing, have energy and feel good, he sees no reason to have me increase my calories. I do feel good, have more energy than before surgery and am continuing to lose weight, so I'm not worried about it.

I am being supervised by a Dr. who I trust. People have different caloric needs and as long as I'm losing, have energy and feel good, he sees no reason to have me increase my calories. I do feel good, have more energy than before surgery and am continuing to lose weight, so I'm not worried about it.

Enough said! If you are good with it and you trust your doctor, there isn't anything more to add. Good luck. God speed. Wish you all the best, kid.

:tt2:

I personally couldnt be more happier that I found a doctor that doesn't think like this.

I agree with you, find what works for you, but I am so glad I am one of the people that can eat like a normal person and still lose the weight!

I eat normally too :tt2: Anyways, congrats on finding what works for you and good luck.

I'm 5 months post up, have lost 53 pounds and I feel like I'm at a good place, fill-wise (after 4 fills)

I eat about 800 - 1000 calories a day. I was working out EVERY day, burning about 250 of those calories and NOT losing any weight. Seems impossible, right? In fact, I gained 2 pounds one week - so I definitely buy the "starvation" mode theory! Once I backed my workouts down to 3 - 4 times a week, versus every day, I started losing again.

I, too, think it's important to be consuming about 5 super small meals a day. Even if it's just a Protein Bar in between "meals". You've got to keep your metabolism going, especially since we're not eating a lot. If you don't "feed" your metabolism, it doesn't run!

Good luck finding your balance. I think everyone is different!

I'm 5'10", and my nutritionist told me that 1500 was a good daily goal. For me, though, I find that switching it up from day to day is key! I probably average 1250/day, but some days are as low as 900 and some days are as high as 1600. I find that eating the same number of calories every day causes my weight loss to stall.