Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3rd Year Band-Annivesary Today 7/17

Lizzo - You can do it - like I said - take away the diet mentality - replace it with I'm going to eat healthy and I am going to get some exercise..

Log your food - pay attention to being full - it takes a while and maintain your band - just like a car you gotta maintain it for it to work - you have to do the same thing w/your band

LBT is a great place for support - It has been mine..

You can do this !!!!

Hugs - Janet

I am so lucky that my band hasn't had any problems in the 2 years I've ignored it. I've lost about five pounds in the last couple of weeks, and I've been exercising regularly, so I'm feeling pretty happy about that.

I agree that going on LBT is a great way to keep motivated. I'm gonna do better about logging on!!

Thanks so much for your support.

Liz

Congrats IndigoGirl55!!

I 've never posted to you before but I admire your posts and that you are always willing to help us newbies.

I'm finally going to be banded on 8/16 and I can't wait.

Our stats are about the same. Same age, same weight starting out.

I'm hoping to follow in your footsteps too and be at goal by this time next year. I know it will take a lot of hard work and I'm ready for it.

I can't wait!!

I am so lucky that my band hasn't had any problems in the 2 years I've ignored it. I've lost about five pounds in the last couple of weeks, and I've been exercising regularly, so I'm feeling pretty happy about that.

I agree that going on LBT is a great way to keep motivated. I'm gonna do better about logging on!!

Thanks so much for your support.

Liz

Liz - WTG !!!! LBT has been my support system from day 1 - I'm here almost everyday ;o) - It's the accountablity factor and also being a mentor I feel that I have to practice what I preach - so it helps me & you :0) - Keep up the good work

Congrats IndigoGirl55!!

I 've never posted to you before but I admire your posts and that you are always willing to help us newbies.

I'm finally going to be banded on 8/16 and I can't wait.

Our stats are about the same. Same age, same weight starting out.

I'm hoping to follow in your footsteps too and be at goal by this time next year. I know it will take a lot of hard work and I'm ready for it.

I can't wait!!

msdv - I was a newbie once too - I had great ladies who helped me in the beginning - I use to post to the newbies all the time - not as much anymore - but I am here for anyone who wants help - I am a tough love bander (operative word is love) and there are a few who don't want to hear what I say - So if any of you don't have a home thread - come to the I'm here to help thread (Mentor) - Glad to have you..

You can do this - like I say all the time I am no diff than anyone else - I don't have magical powers - I was just sick and tired of being of being morbitly obese - I don't want to die an early death because of it..

Congrats on your Date - Prayers for a safe surgery and speedy recovery..

Good Luck on your journey....

I am very happy for you. I was banded on July 15th (10days ago). I am struggling already. I went camping without my blender and had to eat and chew food so now I am having a hard time with what to eat to be satisfied knowing in the back of my head I could physically eat something instead of having to blend up my lunch.

Can I ask did you ever go to a counselor or dietician? What do you think has helped you the most?

I am writing everything down, and drinking my Water. Any insight I would truly love. I personally only know one person with a band and she is not local and not all that willing to talk.

Thanks

Jessica

I am very happy for you. I was banded on July 15th (10days ago). I am struggling already. I went camping without my blender and had to eat and chew food so now I am having a hard time with what to eat to be satisfied knowing in the back of my head I could physically eat something instead of having to blend up my lunch.

Can I ask did you ever go to a counselor or dietician? What do you think has helped you the most?

I am writing everything down, and drinking my Water. Any insight I would truly love. I personally only know one person with a band and she is not local and not all that willing to talk.

Thanks

Jessica

Well i think it is crappy that person you know is willing to talk.. I have not had it yet but I can tell this site is pretty awsome, check out the nutrition part and write some ideas down.

Thanks

Jessica

Jessica

I posted this morning - but I don't know what happen to it..

Well, just cuz you can - doesn't mean that you should. Heck if you can drink a pt shake - you can drink a regular milk shake..

You ate real food 5 days out - what were your doc's instructions - the reason you aren't suppose to eat is that your stomach is healing (you band is stitched to your stomach) you have to let it heal - you don't want problems down the road..

#1 if you want your band to work you gotta follow the rules

You will always be able to eat around your band - it's only a tool and yours isn't most likely filled now.. If I remember right I still had swelling/restriction at 5 days out - I was full on 1/2 cup of Soup..

No I didn't see a counselor - My doc's office has a nutritionist that you see every visit to go over your food that you ate the day before and your exercise - But can't say that I needed that - from all my years of dieting I could be one my self (nutritionist) I knew what to do but I didn't apply it to my life..

For me having major surgery was a big deal - that I went to the extreme of having an operation to help me loose weight.. So I made up my mind to follow the rules - they band our stomachs and not our heads and the real problems with food lies in our heads and not in our tummies.. Just cuz you have a band doesn't mean you are going to lose weight

Its only a piece of plastic - you are the one who makes the food choices - The band just makes you feel fuller on a smaller amount of hard Protein - you will be physically full - but your heads going to tell you that you are still hungry - I still battle head hunger issues..

The secret imho is that you don't diet - you just start eating healthy - I think for most of us - it's not just that our portions of food is way too much - it's the foods we eat.

I ate very high fat and high sugar and lots of starches - very little veggies - fruit - etc. I can't say I ate tons of food (yes I over ate but like at a buffet I couldn't eat 3 plates of food at one sitting)- it was the combination of types of food I ate eating too much and I did no exercise..

Now I eat healthy - lower fat (I still include a healthy amount in my diet) limited starches (I still have some but it's after my Protein & veggie) mostly sugar free (but again I still have a piece of cake etc occasional)

You gotta plan - sit down and make a menu for the week - You can take almost anything you ate prior to banding and teak it to be healthier - I use to eat fried fish - now I bake it

This is a journey Jessica and you may not get it the 1st week - it takes alot of soul searching - really paying attention to why you want to eat - is it head hunger or real hunger (as fat chicks we really don't know what real hunger is) and you know what - it's ok to be hungry - it's normal to be hungry right before your next meal - and a little hunger isn't going to kill you - the fat will..

If you need to see a counselor - go for it - some pple do - there is nothing wrong with that - talk to your doc too.

Your band isn't really helping you yet w/portion control and it make take a while to get to your sweet spot - but being at your sweet spot isn't going to make you lose the weight - You are the one who's responsible for that by your choices..

Good luck on this journey - if you need me - come to the I'm here to help thread (Mentor) and we will gladly help you

Hugs, Janet

I

Janet,

That was a wonderful response.

I have not been banded yet (8/16) however, I feel like you.

I have done every diet under the sun. I even sent a woman that was on Oprah a few years back that had lost weight $1,000.00 over the internet to help me lose weight. Yes, embarrassing but true. I did every and anything to lose weight and I had some success but could never keep it off for long because I didn't change my habits or thinking.

I feel like you I am not going to risk my life having major surgery to lose weight and then 5 days out I'm having the same junk I'm used to having or going against my Dr's instructions.

I feel that would be like a drug addict or alcoholic coming out of rehab sober and then falling back into the same bad habit that will eventually kill him.

I don't mean any disrespect to Jessica. I know how she feels I have been there done that. I have the fear too that I will have the surgery and not lose weight ...just fall back into eating whatever not a binge or volume eater just eat whatever, whenever. Like you fish but not baked ...fried. I was having a drink every night there for a while. I realized that I have to change those habits starting now. So I cut out the drinking and I'm stopping eating earlier. I used to sit in bed and eat as late as 8,9pm.

I hope I never forget the fact that I had surgery to lose weight and let that be a motivating factor to help me to do what I'm instructed to do and to do my best to conquer this horrible weight problem once and for all.

Dee

You are an inspiration. You look wonderful. You should be so proud of yourself!

Janet,

That was a wonderful response.

I have not been banded yet (8/16) however, I feel like you.

I have done every diet under the sun. I even sent a woman that was on Oprah a few years back that had lost weight $1,000.00 over the internet to help me lose weight. Yes, embarrassing but true. I did every and anything to lose weight and I had some success but could never keep it off for long because I didn't change my habits or thinking.

I feel like you I am not going to risk my life having major surgery to lose weight and then 5 days out I'm having the same junk I'm used to having or going against my Dr's instructions.

I feel that would be like a drug addict or alcoholic coming out of rehab sober and then falling back into the same bad habit that will eventually kill him.

I don't mean any disrespect to Jessica. I know how she feels I have been there done that. I have the fear too that I will have the surgery and not lose weight ...just fall back into eating whatever not a binge or volume eater just eat whatever, whenever. Like you fish but not baked ...fried. I was having a drink every night there for a while. I realized that I have to change those habits starting now. So I cut out the drinking and I'm stopping eating earlier. I used to sit in bed and eat as late as 8,9pm.

I hope I never forget the fact that I had surgery to lose weight and let that be a motivating factor to help me to do what I'm instructed to do and to do my best to conquer this horrible weight problem once and for all.

Dee

Thanks Dee...

I'm not a big drinker - Yes I drink - but really only when I go out to a concert or party (sometime way too much ;0)

Good for you to quit drinking on a daily bases - those are empty calories - I rather eat my calorie instead of drink them :0).. My doc say a drink is fine it's not against the rules - you just have to budget for them..

I'm still a night eater - but what I have done is budget my calories to compensate for it - I am allow 3 meals and 2 Snacks - I would eat lite for bf & lunch and no Snacks in between - I saved them for evenings - during the day at work I can ignore my hunger - but at nite and at home forget about it - so I always kept about 300 cal for evening snacks - healthy choice sf fudgesicles - sf choc puddings - dannon lite & fit yogurts & 100 cal snack pack popcorn

You have the right mindset - I think this will help you to be successful on your journey..

Suggestion - take hope & try out of your vocabulary - replaced it with I WILL !!!! Posititive Affirmations really do work !!!

Hugs Janet

IndigoGirl! Wow! I love this post and like the others you should toot your own horn. You are amazing and definitely an inspiration! Thank you so very much for sharing your story, your wisdom and your hard earned success with us! You are a hero honey!

Many blessings,

Elizabeth

Awesome! I need to read this today--glad someone bumped it to the top so I would see it :)

Thanks Peeps !!!!

I just want the newbies to know that they can lose the weight - it's still work w/the band - but it's doable..

If an old chick like me can - you younger ones really can !!!

Hugs to you all...