Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery while having period?????

soooo...random question that just came up, i'm not on birth control because they didnt want me to be on it for 2 months before surgery. i'm having my lap band surgery this tues 7/13 so in 2 days!!! Of course at this wonderful time, my monthly friend came, any one have any thoughts or had this happen to them? can they still do the surgery? i've looked it up online, and i got mixed answers some saying yes, some saying no they might have to bump back my surgery date. i've been waiting for this surgery for like 2 months now..i can't bump it back..so im a little concerned.:confused:

If the question was "do surgeons ask us to book our surgery around our monthly cycle?' I would have to say that my surgeon never even raised the matter, even though he is a doctor and totally aware that we women bleed (some more regularly than others!!) but if it was a problem then you would think they would all ask us to make sure we were booked in on a 'good week'.

That was the long answer, short one is 'ring your surgeons office and ask'.

Best of luck :-)

hey, i had gallbladder surgery last year and the same thing happened to me. needless to say that didn't stop the surgery, lol. no worries and congrats. i will be having my lap band surgery 7/28th!!!

Me too, with the gallbladder surgery and my "friend". It didn't even cross my mind as a problem until I got to the hospital and they basically said not to worry about it and they would clean me up. I think they said if I had a tampon it would be OK but no underwear in surgery, of course I didn't have a tampon so I was horrified but they weren't. I guess they see much worse!

I had my band surgery 6/16 and was on my period. I told my nurse as I was being admitted. She said no problem I will just get you some disposable panties (that were soooooo not pretty) and a huge pad to wear to surgery!! Don't sweat it!:thumbup:

I had a surgery while on my period. A few years later, the morning of my hysterectomy my friend came to visit one last time lol. Mother Nature has a sense of humor lol. The only bad thing is those giant hospital pads they make you wear.

Yep. Had my period during my surgery. Probably too much TMI ahead, so consider yourself warned:

They let me put in a fresh tampon before I went in (actual surgery was only 45 minutes and that included a hiatal hernia repair!), but I was in recovery much longer than expected so said tampon had to come out at some point.

They didn't have tampons in the PACU, so I was given some "boy short" panties and a huge pad to wear which was not fun, but not horrible in the grand scheme of things.

kagead

If you have ever had a baby Im sure the panties and pads are the same that you would get post-partum. Not pretty but it gets the job done!

Oh yes. Ladies come into the OR all the time on their periods. God Bless them, if surgery isn't enough, they get to wear a large pad and a pair of party panties.

Yep - been there - done that! I told the nurse when I got there and they told me that I had to take my tampon out ant that they would give me a pad to"hold between my legs". NO WAY! I left it in and when the anesthesiologist came in, I discussed it with her and she told me not to worry - keep my tampon in - no biggie. She said the nurses had to follow the rules, but it would in no way be an issue. I was in and out of surgery in less than 45 minutes, and on my way home 4 hours later. Good luck with your surgery!