Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me with arguments for Lap Band, not gastric bypass

I went to my introduction seminar today. I really like their approach (Hahnemann Bariatric in Philadelphia). After the seminar, I was helping them put their chairs away and I was talking to the program manager. When I said that I wanted a lap band, she said that I should look into having a gastric bypass. I told her that I had done my homework and wanted a lap band. I got the strong impression from her in our short conversation that followed that she was trying to push a gastric bypass on me. I DO NOT want a gastric bypass. Maybe I am reading something that wasn't there, though.

Has anyone else encountered this? What is their incentive for doing this (that is, do they get more money for doing a gastric bypass)?

Info, please. Thank you!

How about the fact that your chances of dying are significantly lower with the band than the bypass?

How about "Its my body and I have to live here for the rest of my life so I am going to listen to your professional opinion and then do what I think is best for me."

"Never ask a car salesman which car you should buy."

• Lower chance of issues with malnutrition
  • Adjustable & removable, unlike GB
  • Better paced weight loss (lower chance of saggy skin)
  • No dumping syndrome
  • Faster recovery time
  • Lower mortality rate post-surgery
  • Fewer complications post-surgery

I am sure that there are many more, but my brain is a little slow today...I know that there are many more, though.

Best of luck to you!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you, one and all. I'm good at standing up for myself, but I know when I need a little boost.

Hugs!

gastric bypasses are more expensive and as far as I am concerned it is not even an option. I find the bypass barbaric. If you are wanting to lose a lot of weight then it may be a better choice, but if you are wanting to have something help with the amount of foods you eat, to hopefully become healthier, the bad is the way to go (in my mind). Why anyone would go for a bypass is beyond me. It makes it so you cannot absorb nutrients and so I am wondering how that could really be a healthy option. It is also like an amputation where as the band is an addition

I was in the same situation, my doctor originally insisted that I should do the bypass. Main reason being that because I weigh so much the excess weight will fall off me much faster with doing very little.

I personally preferred the band, not only because of less complications but because I wanted to change my life style (eating better and exercising) and not just let the weight fall off, then I wouldn't learn anything.

I was in the same situation, my doctor originally insisted that I should do the bypass. Main reason being that because I weigh so much the excess weight will fall off me much faster with doing very little.

I personally preferred the band, not only because of less complications but because I wanted to change my life style (eating better and exercising) and not just let the weight fall off, then I wouldn't learn anything.

My doctor recommended the bypass for me also but he was very agreeable when i told him i wanted the band. He wanted me to get the bypass because i had so much weight to lose and that would be easier done with the band. But it always struck me as kinda extreme to change the way your body absords food. With me my problems have always been food portions so getting full with less food is very ideal for me. My doctor pointed out that ice cream, milkshakes and stuff like that won't be stopped by the band but that has never been a issue with me. And so far i'm very happy about my decision to get the band. I say its your body and get what you feel comfortable with:biggrin:

There are also plenty of people with gastric bypass that do not lose weight - I had gastric bypass in 1994. Lost about 20 pounds that's all but I did manage to stay within the same 5-10 lbs for about 10 years (i had never stayed the weight over time, it was always lose some, gain more back, etc.)

After the ten years, i added 5-10 each year all the way back to 290. It did cure me of the eating sweets and sugary liquids (dumping syndrome), but I could eat bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes with no problem - I had no restriction when I ate, things just flowed right thru.

I was banded in May and feel as if I have been given a new chance. So for me - the band is the best way to go!

My SIL had the bypass many many years ago, when it was first popular and before the band...she lost 150 lbs. but has put it all back on because she believed that she could eat whatever she wanted and so she ate and ate very unhealthy and gained it all back plus some. She currently weighs 496 lbs. and now wants the band, but is having trouble finding someone to do it since the bypass wasn't successful for her.

Personally, I wouldn't do the bypass unless other options had been tried...

Blessings, Michelle