Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am losing my hair!!!!

I am sure that this topic has been discussed already, and I apologize if I am being repetitive, but I am very upset about this. I was banded nearly 4 months ago, and for the past two months, I have noticed that my hair has been falling out. It has become really bad the past few weeks. When I wash my hair in the morning, I have noticed clumps of 10-20 strands (yes, I counted them) coming out at a time. Same thing when I brush my hair. Every day I am sweeping small piles of my hair up off of the bathroom floor! This is really upsetting me and my husband doesn't seem to understand. His attitude is "you chose to have the surgery and you knew this might happen." And while this is true, I am still really freaked out about it!

So far I don't think that it is noticiable, meaning that you can't see my scalp or anything, but I am really worried about that happening.

How many of you has this happened to? Will it stop soon? Should I tell my stylist and stop highlighting my hair? Any advice (and consolation) would be very much appreciated!

:cry

Unfortunately that is one of the side effects. I know a friend from work who was banded about 2 years ago and her hair is very thin. You can see her scalp. Dr told me to make sure and eat enough Protein and maybe even Shampoo with protein in it will help. Look on the bright side. It's looks like you have lost 60lbs and that is a great victory for you . Maybe you can consider getting some tracks if it does happen to fall out to where it is noticeable. Or ask your dr what you can take to help prevent it. Maybe some kind of Vitamins or something

This is so werid I was just about about to post the same thing. I actually saw my doctor today and he recommended flax seed oil capsules. However, when I bought them they are huge and I do not think they will pass through my band. I was wondering if anybody punctured the capsule and just mixed it with something and drank it. I do not think it would do any damage, but god knows if it did it would happen to me. They also recommeded sugar free Gelatin, this will strengthen the hair roots. Any other suggestions out there in band land?

A lot of things can cause your hair to fall out. And not just loosing weight from wls. If you loose large amounts of weight, it can happen, hence why its common in wls patients. I was shedding tons of hair, and was really freaking out about 8 months ago. I wasn't loosing weight, but I did discover I had a thyroid promblem. Get your blood work done and make sure everything is on par. If it is, your hair probally just has it "cycles" messed up. You see normally we shed hair, but not alot at one time, because our hair folicules are on cycles. When the cycles get messed up you might have 2 or 3 groups on the same cycle...hence lots of Hair loss at one time. The good news is...shedding hair this way is not a permanant side effect, and it will grow back.

I know how scarey thinking you are going bald is...try not to worry to much. Make sure you are getting enough protien (min 45 grams a day) and are taking your viatamins. My hair thickened back up...I'm sure yours will too.

Melissa

I pierce flax seed oil capsules and put them in juice for my son, that is if I dont just have a bottle of flaxseed oil itself, which he will take off the spoon, it tastes pleasantly nutty. It helps a lot with his eczema. I only keep capsules becuase the oil goes off really quickly and we often get caught short. You can just take the oil, about a dessertspoonful a day. Its fabulous for you.

With regard to hair loss, you have to remember eating with a band is like feeding a baby. You absolutely cannot afford to waste your stomach capacity on rubbish foods more than occasionally. You will never get in the nutrients you need if you eat too much processed foods and dont think carefully about nutrition. You will need to supplement. It's that simple. Waste your Breakfast on white toast and jam and you've missed a valuable opportunity to get in wholegrains, fruit and milk. Combined with the pre-op diet and the post op month of liquids and mushies, I'd say its highly likely many new bandsters get pretty malnourished pretty fast, especially since a lot of obese people werent eating well to begin with.

You can use regular flax seed oil, the pills are just convenient for some. I know of folks make Salad Dressing or other food flavoring out of it by mixing it with lemon juice, garlic etc... Hair loss at 2-4 months is a common side effect of anesthesia. It should stop in a short time, lasting only a few weeks. The hair generally grows back.

Guest carmentorres

I Went To The Consultationand I Am Very Happy With All The Information I Walked Away With

Flaxseed Oil Is Also Sold In liquid Form And Is Available Anywhere Vitamins Are Sold And My Clinic Actually Recommends Starting On It 2 Weeks Prior To Surgery, To Avoid Alot Of Hairloss, And According To The Women In There With The Band, It Works!!!!! Very Well

Good Luck And God Bless

I'm six and a half months post op and my hair has been falling out for about the last 2.5 - 3 months, I never had a problem with this before now I feel like I'm going to go bald soon, good thing I had a lot of hair to begin with, my doc assures me that it will grow back.

Thanks alot fellow bandsters, I feel much better now that I will not be completely bald by christmas. It is weird I feel better about talking to you guys then I do sometimes my doctor. I think it is because you have lived through it and he is going by text books.

Thanks again and good luck with your weight loss.

It will all grow back! it's a fair tryed for your health and better health for tomorow. My cousin died of Breast Cancer and she would not leave her house, It got so bad she would not let any one in . So I was just sitting around talking to three friends they asked me what I was going to do this day "i Said Im going to shave all my hair off and go visit my cousin.

Next thing I no all of my friend's had shaved there head's and we went knocked on her door "lifted' are hat's and said we diden't want you to be the only bald one in the family. You should of shaw her face!

I know it not the same thing it suck's that helpless feeling but it will grow back! Good luck and most importent healther you!

Hey Apryl---I was banded on April 15th of this year and my hair has also fallen out a lot!! So much so that a few people have commented (close friends) about it. This is what I have done and it seems to have helped tremendously. I started taking a Vitamin for hair, nails, and skin called Biotin. I had originally started with 1-800ml tablet each night then I went to Wal-Mart last week and was excited to see the Biotin Extreme and it is 1600mlg. I also started shampooing with Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner. This you can get at your local Wal-Mart beauty shop. When I bought it I think I paid $35 for a big bottle of shampoo and conditioner and have only bought that one. I think you have to continue using this shampoo and if you stop the Hair loss will start again (supposedly). I also tried the Rogain for a couple of months---I HATED this stuff and had to stop. It made my hair yucky feeling and made my scalp itch like crazy. But the first two things have worked well for me. Now for a little intro (i know you can't have an intro at the end but sorry i'm a little backwards that way!! HA!!) I had my surgery in Tijuana in April. I am 36 years old with 3 children and a husband. I have lost right at 75 lbs and am about 30 to 40 lbs from my goal weight (120--this may be a little unrealistic but I am short so I think I can pull it off). I have had three fills with my 'magic' one as they say being on June 23rd. I have slowed way down on my weight loss and just noticed that I have been within the same weight (4 or 5 lbs) since 11-5th so I am going to have to do something different. I have considered getting one last fill but I am still very restricted--somedays much more so than others. I have been reading all the posts and they have been great and very informative for me. I did go to Mexico for my surgery for money reasons--my insurance did not pay--but I have not been back there for any of my fills. I have went to a local dr in Dallas for all of those. I don't have a support system and would like to make some friends that I can discuss band stuff with on this page. Thanks for letting me ramble on and I can't wait to visit with some of you.

Misti

(please don't make fun of me but how do you get all the cute stuff at the bottom of your name?? I am new at this so please be patient!! HA!!)

I have had Hair loss every time I have lost alot of my weight. I had my surgery in Feb and I noticed alot of hair loss at 4-5 months out. Then it evened out for a couple of months, but it is coming out again. And the new hairs that are coming in stand straight up, LOL!! I try to get in enough Protein, but I probably dont everyday.

Patty

Misti, go to your search bar on the forum and put in trackers and you will get all the info you need. You edit your signature under user cp on your option bar at the top of your forum page.