Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I see where Soups are a favorite of many banders, but doesn't it defeat the band the same as a milk shake would? I know Soup is healthier, I just mean doesn't soup pass right thru easily thus not giving the full sensation? I love a nice creamy soup so I'm hoping for positive info, but if it's not good for us, then "no soup for me"!

My surgeon gave me a book that they made for everything I need to know. About soups: it says, Soups should no longer be consumed with meals. These are mostly liquid and should be treated as beverages and avoided with meals.

Hope that helps!

The Soups I make are usually pretty chunky so I ladle very little liquid into my bowl. Then I just make sure the calories fit into my budget for the day. Sometimes I use a chunky canned vegetable Soup to get some extra veggies if I feel I need them. Last night my husband made a gumbo that was lovely...with chicken and fresh andouille...heavenly. I actually took the meat and weighed it to keep track of Protein, and measured out 1/8 cup of brown rice. My half cup kept me full almost 4 hours so it must have worked well with the band.

I eat Soup quite often, both home made and store bought. Like other bandsters I make sure it is really thick and chunky and has lots of Protein. To me it is no different than enjoying a nice cup or bowl of chili which is nice and thick, also, and recommended by most nutritionists, etc.

Mimi

I have 1/2 cup of Soup a day usually for lunch instead of a protine shake. that is really the only "real" food i am eating right now. I feel very full after that. I used the recipe for the chicken enchilada soup i found on the lap band web site. really easy to make and taste great!

I eat a lot of Soup. I make thick, chunky Soups with Protein in them too and dont eat canned soup very often at all. Soup is a GREAT way to get in vegies in a form I can eat them quite easily, its very filling (the liquid/solid combo actually works to my advantage) and if I'm peckish 2 or 3 hours later, I have a small (healthy) snack.< /p>

Band or no band; almost all Soups are loaded with sodium. If you have a history of high blood pressure or Fluid retention you should pay special attention to the amount of sodium in the soups you're eating.

I generally don't eat Soup because it doesn't keep me satisfied like a solid meal does. But, I do really like chicken chili and beef stew (made in the crockpot) and they keep me full even though they have liquid. So, I guess you just have to experiment and see what works for you.

If I'm eating out, I love to order soup and salad because those are two things I know never get stuck for me. And, I can actually enjoy more than one course without feeling overstuffed.

You can sprinkle Protein in your soups.like the stuff you make Protein Shakes with.try vanilla.there might be some neutral tasting protein at GNC.just something to think about.makes your Soups thicker

I make a good Soup from allowed ingredients:

Boil vegetables in beef broth add baked Beans when vegetables are cooked, cool and blend. This gives you vegies and Protein in a thick yummy soup!

For those times (like the last month!) that my band is super tight, Soup is a lifesaver! That is usually all I can get down at meal time.

I try to make my own (I puree butternut squash, or spaghetti squash and blend with a little low sodium veggie broth) for example to cut down on the fat/salt content. What I also do, is add shredded lowfat cheese into the serving bowl. This adds some Protein.

I tried adding vanilla Protein powder to cheddar cheese soup once - and it was nauseating! Note to self: try to locate nonflavored Protein Powder, lol!

The organic aisle at the supermarket sometimes has higher quality Soups with less salt.

For me, my band is tight so I cannot handle any "bits" in the soup (e.g. veggie chunks or potato chunks or meat chunks) so I keep my food processor handy.

By the way, most restaurants, when asked nicely, will agree to puree any soup they have on the menu. I have done this - Outback Steakhouse is one - and it works out great. Their potato soup, pureed in the kitchen special order -- is yummy!

I felt full after eating Soup without the band, so why would I stop eating it with the band? Soup goes down the same way. The kinds I eat are loaded with vegetables, low in calories, and extremely flavorful and satisfying. If you like soup, I'd definitely keep eating it unless you find yourself wanting to eat more food on the days when you have soup.