Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WORST PERIOD of my life!!!

I just started first cycle since being banded on june 5th 2010 and it has been so EXTREMELY painful. I soent the entire a night in pain and spent the day in bed with a heating pad and went through a ton of Midol with NO relief. My bleeding is very heavy and I have even passed a few small clots. :thumbup: I TRULY hope this is not something that is going to happen every month now that I am banded. I am just thankful that this happened on a Saturday and not on a workday.

my first month after being banded was a little rough with the period. Also after losing the first 100 pounds, it through my period into a crazy cycle. I used to be the same day every month, and it would last for 5 days. Now its all over the place and only lasts for 3. If you still feel that bad in a couple of days i would get checked though! Better to be safe then sorry! Feel better hun!

I just started first cycle since being banded on june 5th 2010 and it has been so EXTREMELY painful. I soent the entire a night in pain and spent the day in bed with a heating pad and went through a ton of Midol with NO relief. My bleeding is very heavy and I have even passed a few small clots. :) I TRULY hope this is not something that is going to happen every month now that I am banded. I am just thankful that this happened on a Saturday and not on a workday.

I had this same experience. My first period after the surgery was late 4 days and then when it came on--BAM! I was absolutely miserable. I experienced these horrible sharp pains in addition to stronger than normal cramps. I could not even function the first full day of that period cycle. It was awful.

I was dreading my next period, but I'm happy to report, even though it sucks, it was NOT as bad as last month (my first period after surgery). Hopefully your next cycle won't be as bad. I wonder if the first period after surgery is bad because the body is still recovering from the surgery. Maybe that's why, for me, the next cycle wasn't so bad.

Your period could have been affected by blood thinners you were given at surgery. As part of a blood clot remediation I was put on coumadin for 9 months. My periods were horrific. The first two days I just wanted to lay down and sleep. Very heavy and very painful. I am hoping now that I am off bloodthinners things will get better.

You are not alone. My first one after being banded on June 4th was the most painful I've ever had. The next one should be coming soon and honestly I am a little nervous about it.

I also had an extremely painful period within five days after surgery. Heating pads, painkillers, heavy flow, the works.

My first one post op was terrible as well- I am one of those lucky people who barely gets a cramp... just some bloating and tiredness- well holy crap- All I could think was "This is what those Midol commercials are talking about" "This is why people complain"-

I am happy to report that today I began my 2nd post op menses and while still crampier than I am used to it is nothing compared to that horrific first one!!!

Mine was terrible too!:)

I even have Mirena in place, and rarely get a period.

I have been banded since April and have noticed the same thing! Not only are my periods super painful, I also get the worst mood swings with my period which never used to happen! I have read on other posts that hormones are impacted with weight loss and am interested if anyone knows anything more about this. My Dr. also says no ibuprofen which sucks because that was the only pain killer that worked really well.

After comming of Coumadin my first period was kind of back to normal for me. Harsh on the third day and after the third limited. Keep in mind I am still on a 325mg of Asprin.

I had my period a week before surgery. Then a couple of days after, I got it again. This time it lasted for 15 days with the last 7 days being the heaviest. I think it was the anestesia.

thank you for whoever posted this! ...mines due to start and i feel the bloatedness onset...ughh. what can we take for pain? im a motrin girl! ugh. for the love of mash taters, please tellme it doesnt go on for ever.....

I haven't been banded yet, but I have been reading everything I can on this forum.....I never once thought about the band affecting my periods. I already have painful cramps, bloating and very heavy bleeding. Now you all say the first one after surgery can be even worse!!!

OH MYLANTA! I don't know how I'll get through that! I guess I better just be prepared and get ready to power through the pain.

Oh what we women go through! And they call us the "weaker" sex.....WHATEVER!

OMG! Mine was insane with having one right after the other! It wasn't painful. It was just like my birth control pills weren't being absorded or something. I had my period just before the surgery too. Then two days after the surgery I had another one. Then two weeks later again! I mean good grief!!!!!!! Now it seems to have to leveled out and back on track this month. We'll see!