Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another Introduction ...

I introduced myself several months ago, then my plans got way-laid and I stopped visiting the site. My husband lost his job in March, so I had to delay surgery. Luckily, our insurance didn't come from his primary job, so I still have access to excellent coverage (Tri-Care). Because my doctor isn't "in network" for my insurance company, he requires a $4000 deposit; with Hubby out of work, that just wasn't possible.

Unfortunately, Hubby is still out of work. My mother made her transition last month and the administrator of her estate (my sister) wants to give me the money to pay for this. I'm so grateful.

Like many of you, I haven't told a lot of people about my decision. I think maybe six! I never told my mother, and didn't intend to. I always felt that she wouldn't understand or that she'd accuse me of taking the easy way out. My weight has been an issue with her all of my adult life (actually, it was an issue with her before I was even really fat!), so I think it's fitting, in an ironic way, that her money be used to pay for the surgery!

I have done almost everything that my doctor's office requires before submitting to insurance. I have a nutritional consult on Tuesday, and I hand in my clearance letter from my PCP. The doc requires a four to six week pre-op diet for someone my size, so I'm hoping for a late August surgery date. I meet the published requirements for my insurance company, so I'm not expecting any problem there.

My major concern about the surgery isn't the pain or the recovery time. My major concern is whether I'm really ready to make the commitment to my health that I know I need to make in order for this to be a success. I talk about it almost constantly with my best friend, and I also talk about it often with my husband and therapist. Reading the posts here help.

Thanks so much to everyone who does post on this site. I have gained so much valuable information and inspiration by reading your posts. Keep'em coming! :thumbup:

Welcome back and congrats! I think it is great that you recognize before your surgery what you weaknesses are. This will be the best thing for you, and if you want it bad enough you will do this 100%. Good luck on your journey and keep us posted!

Welcome back! I am very new here but can not wait to follow your journey!!

Welcome back......I too am new here, just banded 5 days ago. I know that this is going to be the best thing I have ever done for myself. This TOOL that has been given to me is exactly what I need to suceed. I wish you the best and look forward to following your journey!:thumbup:

Edited by Mamarotten

Thanks so much for your kind responses. I had my nutritional consult this afternoon, and now I AM STOKED! I really liked the registered dietitian who did the consult, and I got some good information from it. That was my last "hoop", so after the nurse reviews and signs off on my chart, it will be ready to submit to insurance. When it's approved, I have to go to a nutrition class and then I get my surgery date.

I think I'm going to start on my pre-op diet just as soon as I can get the shakes. Town is about 30-40 minutes away, so it may be a few days before I can do that. In the meantime, I have a couple of "last meals" that I want to have (isn't that sad? but it's true!), so that I'll be psychologically more ready for the pre-op diet.

Thanks again for your encouragement! I look forward to getting to know you all better!