Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Esophageal Pain/Spasms?

Thank you Band_Groupie. I am trying drinking my coffee first.

Another question: Is it normal to have pain with the first couple bites of food during most meals? I chew chew chew, and as soon as the food gets into the pouch, it hurts. It could be soft food, but its like I have to plug it up (sorry, not able to describe it with a better term) before I can continue eating. Once the pain subsides, I can usually eat approximately a cup of food, and then I feel full.

I hope i'm not sounding crazy, but I would appreciate any feedback. :thumbup:

Wondering.... if it was slippage, wouldn't the problem be consistent?

Deborah:confused:

Deborah- First, I'm not sure about the hernia, but did they tell you that could cause that much pain? Your pain sounds exactly like what mine was like...awful, and like I said my banded friend who's a nuclear cardio doc went to the ER thinking she was having a heart attack too. I confirmed with all the docs I saw during the x-ray that esophageal spasms are this bad.

Next, I'm surprised that the endo (I'm assuming you mean a EGD) didn't confirm whether or not there's a slip as they can visualize the size/shape of the pouch when they're in there and it would be easy to see if a big section of stomach was up through it (you might just ask your doc to check the pics from this). I also had the xray/barium and everything was perfect (get it if you need it).

The most common symptom of a slip is a sudden change in restriction, sometimes with pain...the prolapsed stomach folds over the new stoma and essentially blocks it. I have heard that some with a slip have restriction that varies, but this isn't typical. You didn't mention it, but I'm guessing you've had some vomiting lately...the mistake I made was not going to liquids after a vomit as it will swell the stoma. And remember, reflux is the most common side effect of banding and if it's bad then you're probably too tight...so I'm hoping your small unfill will solve all this. Take it slow and let the swelling go down from the (assumed) vomiting. Keep me posted!

Thank you Band_Groupie. I am trying drinking my coffee first.

Another question: Is it normal to have pain with the first couple bites of food during most meals? I chew chew chew, and as soon as the food gets into the pouch, it hurts. It could be soft food, but its like I have to plug it up (sorry, not able to describe it with a better term) before I can continue eating. Once the pain subsides, I can usually eat approximately a cup of food, and then I feel full.

I hope i'm not sounding crazy, but I would appreciate any feedback. :thumbup:

There's even a name here for this...it's called 'first bite syndrome' (I'd suggest you do a search here to see others experiences). Some find that it's best to take that small first bite and then wait a min. or so before eating the rest. Keep an eye on the pain though and keep your Doc informed as well. These bands are such a learning curve LOL.

Edited by Band_Groupie

I had my UGI done last month the radiologist is very good, he has done about 8 of these on me sicne I was first banded four years ago. He told me and showed me during one of the swallows that my esophagus was having spasms at each swallow, he also told and showed me tha the esophagus was very narrow and even the barium was not going through like it should, he said I had reflux built up in my esophagus, causing it to be greatly dialated. He said that he felt removing some of the Fluid might help but it will not fix the problem. I also have a hital hernia where at or how large who knows because I don't and was never told, the hernia was discovered a few weeks ago and well it was found on last years UGI and now I am being told of this. My band was diagnosed as mechanical failure for this is a re occurring problem with me and the Dr. treated me by only removing fills and then re filling me, over and over again. I am now waiting on insurance approval to have revision surgery to RNY

I've been living with these God awful spasms for over two years now. Doesn't matter how much is in my band, what I eat or drink, how fast or slow I eat it, it's there. I vomit just about every single day. I burn whether I take Prilosec, Kapidex, Tums, Pepto...I truly worry about what this will mean for me down the road. (Luckily, I am in the process of getting insurance authorization for the band to sleeve revision.) Three years of having this thing, less than 40lbs lost, and also now cannot actually EAT anything if I am leaving the house within an hour. Heck, some days I can't even keep down a Protein drink. GRRR!!! (Today is such a day...water and Gatorade....YUM...NOT. lol)

Just PLEASE, keep up on those spasms. If you're having reflux issues, I say DOUBLE your efforts and keep up on the swallows and EGDs. That much acid is NOT good for your esophagus.

http://www.formerlyfluffy.com/lap-band-and-realize-band-do-your-research/

http://www.formerlyfluffy.com/lisa-sargese-gastric-band-nightmare/

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ASMBS/20919

I had those severe spams last year. Actually went to the hospital thinking it was a heart attack. Better safe than sorry right? That was June of last year. In May of last year I started having those acid reflux incidents at night. Couldn't figure it out at all. Had a CAT scan and was told I had a hiatal hernia. Than had a laproscopic exam. NO HERNIA. The person who read the CAT thought my pouch was a hernia.

Turns out my allergies were the problem. The mucus produced causes a 'plug' in the band. My dr. did a fluroscope and checked my band position. All was fine. He recommended mucinex, prilosec and a decongestant. Also a liquid diet until the irritation/inflammation got better. It worked.

This year when my allergies started, I began taking the mucinex and decongestant. I already take protonix. I did the liquid diet for a few days. I also increased my Water intake.

So far so good.

Deborah

Good to know that your problems have been sorted out and that it has been a relatively simple solution.

I am so glad I found this forum!

I have encountered difficulties since my lap band two years ago! It's been about ONE YEAR since my band was emptied due to reflux (I would wake up vomiting on my pillow). Upon draining it, I got my first good night's sleep without reflux in a LONG time.

It first appeared that my surgeon had done my last fill too aggressively and made my band too tight. After a swallow study, my NEW doctor (the original had changed hospitals) discovered that my esophagus had stretched and dilated. He had me wait three months to see if it was healing. Three months later it was smaller but, too large still for him to safely begin filling again.

Finally, after almost a year of waiting, I had another swallow study and my esophagus has hardly healed at all. I had esophageal manometry which showed my esophagus functioning MOSTLY normally and, two days later, I underwent an upper endoscopy which revealed what my doctor believes to be a "fundoplication." It appears that during the lap band surgery my surgeon affixed part of my stomach to the back of my esophagus! This, apparently, is a surgery sometimes done to relieve GERD but, why did he do that?!?! I had NEVER suffered reflux and, after further research, this procedure MAY LEAD TO A STRETCHED/DILATED ESOPHAGUS AND WORSE REFLUX!

I am so frustrated and depressed now. After dropping over 75 pounds I've gained about 35 back.

Has anybody else heard of fundplication being done with lap band insertion and, if so, have you had similar problems?

the last 2 spasams i had i fainted

Thanks all for such good information. Banded for over 2 years, 70 lbs down 40 to go. All of sudden when I walk fast or exercise I have shortness of breath and have problems getting food down but does go down within a few min, with that awful pain in chest. And my shortness of breath goes away. I thought maybe has to do with esaphigus after reading blogs. I did have an upper GI and fine but strange after 2 years am experiencing this. I think the shortness of breath is better but will keep an eye on it. Any thoughts? Thanks

Thanks all for such good information. Banded for over 2 years, 70 lbs down 40 to go. All of sudden when I walk fast or exercise I have shortness of breath and have problems getting food down but does go down within a few min, with that awful pain in chest. And my shortness of breath goes away. I thought maybe has to do with esaphigus after reading blogs. I did have an upper GI and fine but strange after 2 years am experiencing this. I think the shortness of breath is better but will keep an eye on it. Any thoughts? Thanks

i found out that the vagus nerve is what can make you faint and alot of other things if your esphogus gets irratated also blood pressure i would always get bad pain in my chest first it does not happen that offten if im driviing atleast i get a warning first but make sur it isnot your heart first

Did the doctor tell why the fundoplication was done?

I had my band installed almost two weeks ago and the doctor also did a fundoplication at the same time. She said that upon opening me up she discovered that my upper stomach was abnormally small and had to do the fundoplication so she could install the band.

So can anyone tell my WHY some of us get reflux and/or gerd after the surgery when we didn't have it before? Mine is so bad right now that I am on liquids only and taking mucinex & a decongestant. Allergies kill me. And the mucus seems to plug up the band. I get that. But it also appears, for me anyway, that I have the same problem when I am stressed. Anyone else notice that?

Hi all! Haven't been on here in awhile and I having some issues. Can someone exlpain the difference between an upper GI and a EGD? What type of doctor would I go to for these? I am 4 years post op and my surgery was in Mexico so I want to go in and insure all is still okay. When I request these procedures do I tell them I was banded in Mexico? Also, is a scope, fluroscope and barium swallow the same thing? Thank you for any insite you may have.

Sorry you're all going through this, but glad I'm not the only one. Right now I have this pain right in the middle of my chest ever since I had a smoothie ealier. Other times, it's just because I ate, or coughed hard. I have gained back the little bit of weight I lost from having the lapband put in Jan of '09, and I want it out. My plan is to revise to a sleeve. I'm meeting with my PCP to start th process on Monday. I've been a member of this forum for 3 years, but haven't posted in a long while.

Hi all! Haven't been on here in awhile and I having some issues. Can someone exlpain the difference between an upper GI and a EGD? What type of doctor would I go to for these? I am 4 years post op and my surgery was in Mexico so I want to go in and insure all is still okay. When I request these procedures do I tell them I was banded in Mexico? Also, is a scope, fluroscope and barium swallow the same thing? Thank you for any insite you may have.

barium swallow is a nasty chalky drink before x-ray. Fluroscope is a dye they inject to see whee things are going.