Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ankle weights for the rest of my life?

I have my very first appt to start this process on Wednesday. I'm very excited. One thing though, I am just under having a 40 BMI (about 5-10 pounds). I think I have co-morbitities (?), but don't want to deal with proving them for insurance. I am planning on wearing ankle weights and even weights in my jean pockets for the entire appt so I'll be prepared for any weigh-ins. I've already bought the weights. My concern is that I don't plan on wearing these weight the rest of my life. I was curious if anyone else did something similar to this, and if so, how did you go about not wearing them for future appts? Did your doctors notice? What did they think or did they care? By the way, I'm going through Oregon Weight Loss Surgery. Thanks!

You need to rethink this strategy... not only are you cheating yourself and lying to your doctors, it may be considered insurance fraud and you DON'T want that label in your medical records. Nor the possibility of legal repercussions, because it is illegal to do that.

Let me reassure you.. that your BMI DOES qualify you, and a co-morbidity can be as simple as Migraines, or acid reflux, insomnia etc.

All I can stress to you is that you need to be 1000% honest with the process. You could seriously hurt yourself by doing something like this.

I agree with Me3, when she says that you need to be 1000% honest with the process. As for the BMI and co morbidities....I think every dr and even insurances have different ideas as to what exactly they are. I wish you luck.

No weights.....if your doc finds out that you were trying to cheat your way to surgery he could refuse service. After all, you are much more of a liability if you can't follow standard protocol. I didn't have any co-morbidities my BMI was enough to get approval in less than 1 business day. Have faith in the system.

Best wishes!

Well, usually with insurance, your starting weight is what they use. So if you do go through with the weights, and then go back without them and weigh less, it won't matter. With my doctor, he requires a 5% weight loss or he won't do the surgery.

I would talk to your surgeons office and see what they say before you lie to them. I don't know why it would be hard to go about proving your co-morbidities. You should have medical records that show you have whatever disease you have. My insurance requires a letter of medical necessity from my pcp, and in it he stated that he had been treating me for diabetes and he thought I would benefit from the surgery. So that right there proved my co-morbidity (even though my bmi is 50 so it wasn't even necessary). I think you are making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be.

you want to weigh more to be approved for surgery? That might work for weigh ins but they also weigh you before surgery ( in hospital outfit) and if you weigh less they might suspect something.

Also you dont want to say you weigh more then you do because they will give you more drugs then your body needs and that can be harmful.

I would say it depends on your doctor. I know my doctor was willing to 'work' with patients if it was that close. I fortunately (or unfortunately) was at a 42 BMI so it was 'easy'.

If you're only 5lbs away from being above a 40 BMI, you may work with your doctor. to either bump up your weight or lower your height an inch or two....that should do it.

Honestly, this is something that could change your life forever! I think it would be worth your while to put together the supporting documentation about your co-morbidities.....you'd regret it if the claim went in and you were denied due to insuffiecient evidence.....

Bella Luna it's simple the co-morbidity's, if they are in fact co-morbidity's are the contributing factors that will make you qualify for lap band. I agree with Jonell 143. It looks lke without them you don't. sleep Apnea, Arthritis, High Blood Pressure, Hypertension, Diabetes, High Cholesterol, Osteoarthritis are all co-morbidity's. The qualification process is sometime lengthy, so be prepared. I am required to do a 6 month medically supervised diet with a nutritionist. Can you imagine having to wait 6 months just to see if you are qualified? Well I have my last appointment on July 8th then my paperwork can finally be submitted. In this case consider yourself fortunate because you have co-morbidity's. You probably won't have to go through this because you may already qualify. Why lie and go through the stress of being found out, when you don't have to?

Once your doctors office gets your initial weight (Wednesday's weight) this is the weight they submit to the insurance company as your starting weight, so if you do decide to wear the weights, it should be the last time you have to do it.

Edited by losethemess

If you have comorbidities such as diabetes or high blood pressure, you should qualify at your current weight. But just another thought, if you are only 5 pounds away from qualifying, why not just gain 5 pounds? Others probably won't agree, but I think that's what I would do. As far as the weights, if you do use them, you will probably only need them the first visit. But I don't know if I would put weights in my pockets. They may make you empty them.

:thumbup:Girl do what you have to do! If you need to go to starbucks four times a day to gain those 5 extra pounds, then by all means go for it! Some people forget how hard it is to get approved, especially the ones that are banded already. Insurances will find the most meaningless excuses to deny you. Good luck and hope all goes well.:)

I agree with had enough, do what you have to do, just don't tell anybody. Eat something extremely heavy before you go for weigh in.

I'm too chicken to do weights BUT another lady at my docs office was 6-7 pounds shy of the necessary weight and they REALLY worked with her. They do not require us to take off shoes, empty pockets, etc. She had instructions to drink constantly all morning before she came in to weight and eat a heavy meal right before getting there, and not to pee before she got weighed. She didn't do weights but gained a pound or two before her official weigh in, did all of the above mentioned things and wore heavy heavy clothes and heavy shoes....I think she was 2 pounds over what she was required to be if I remember correctly.

I know drinking a lot and not using the bathroom can make my weight go up as much as 3-4 pounds a day....Good luck!

I really wouild re-think this decision. A friend of mine actually went in to my surgeons office before I had and she didnt weigh enough for her height to get accepted for surgery with the insurance she has. Her plan was to then gain weight and stop trying to lose weight to be eligible to have surgery.. Something wrong with that??? Yes I think so, why would someone go through all of the trouble to gain the weight only to have to try and lose it all in the long run... Its hard to lose Im not kidding. I have been banded for almost 4 months now and I am struggling. my friend has this philosophy that once she gets the band she can eat all she wants and she will lose weight.. It doesnt work like that. She just needs to stop being lazy and it will eventually work with or without the band.

Everyone is telling Bella Luna to lie, but if she doesn't have to she shouldn't. Don't encourage it. Try to qualify with the co-morbidity's first. That makes more sense. If that doesn't work, do what you have to do. I know I did, need I say more, yes I did and I'm not ashamed. I still haven't been approved, but I did what I had to do. Still completing my 6 month diet. If you don't have to go through the stress like I had to go through, don't. The co-morbidities, at this point are you friend.

Edited by losethemess