Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long till you're back to exercise?

I've been working really hard over the past month or two - my current rotation includes Leslie Sansone on the rebounder with handweights - you can really UP the intensity of the workout, some spinning, deep Water running classes, and swimming laps, probably a good hour of exercise six days a week. I'm doing ab work and a lot of stretching on the floor in front of the telly at night.

I've made great gains in fitness and affected my blood chemistry quite positively over a 3 month period. Now I'm sad I'm having surgery and will have to disrupt it all :think

Plus I have to have laser refractive surgery on each of my eyes in January and February, that will cause a week's disruption each time.

Now I know to walk around as much as possible after surgery and to probably start going out for reasonable walks as soon as I can, but how long till you get back to vigorous stuff? I'm quite fit, I really like harder exercise and I"m going to miss it, not to mention I'm afraid I'll undo much of my hard work.

Best to ask the surgeon, but I was back in the pool two week after surgery and doing light cardio stuff. You'd probably wanna hold of on the abs and any heavy lifting stuff for a couple of weeks though.

I've been back at the gym doing my normal cardio workouts (salsa dance, elliptical, treadmill, spinning) since a week out. I did wait about 4 weeks after to do the spinning again, and it was a bit uncomfortable to sit bent over for the hour class. I haven't done weights yet, but hit my 6 week mark thanksgiving day....so plan to start in on the weights on Monday. I have really missed lifting, as it made me feel so strong. Just take it easy...and if anything feels uncomfortable just stop that activity and wait another week and try again. I moved furniture the day before thanksgiving and had no ill effects.

Goodluck,

Melissa

I was cleared immediately for walking and fully cleared at 3 weeks for weights and everything else......I think it depends on your fitness level prior to surgery and your recovery rate. Ask your Doc. Even if you can't do your complete routine maybe there is something else you could do for a few weeks......

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches