Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Down About Everything!

Unlike alot of "threads" I am reading on here. I am having a HELL of a time on this liquid diet. Its not easy!

I am obsessing over my weight every min of the day. I weigh my self at least 5 times a day.

I am so worried I am not going to loose enough weight and I will wake-up from surgery with the nurse telling me He couldnt do it b/c of my liver.

I am driving myself complelty insane over this. Day 4 was the easiest. Day 5 I felt like SHIT ran over! I was hot, and had heart burn and my stomach burned and I felt week and dizzy. HOrrible.

This has just been a nightmare. I am ready for this surgery so I know I have the band. I wont have to worry about not getting it. 13 more days of this shit, then I have my surgery. The nurse monday said Dr.Kim like patients to loose 5-25lbs. Thats is a huge sliding scale. I am an "EXACT" person. give me an exact number.

Oh, I just feel like I am loosing it. I am worried all the time about my liver and what's it doing. My husband isnt any help with me at all on this. He is aggainst the surgery. ( but he has always worn a size 32-34 all his life ) He thinks I just dont have any will power, and i need to just get up and move more and eat less.

I am 27!!! if thats all I had to do. I would have done it while I was a teenager and spared my high school years of hell!!!!

sorry to vent guys,Just needed to get this off my chest. :devil_smile:

The liquid pre-op diet sucked. No doubt about it. But if you keep at it, you will get the surgery, your liver will shrink, and in 13 days you will be banded.

My liquid diet was a lot less difficult - I could have one meal a day (I started with a low BMI) and even that was really really hard. I too weighed myself every minute of the day, praying I would lose, so I could have the surgery.

But then it was done! Trust me, after surgery, when you can't eat much for the first month, you're not going to feel great either, you're going to weigh yurself constantly, and you're going to obsess. We all do/did it.

But over time, your mind adapts, your body adapts, your energy levels come back, you stop having sugar-withdrawal headaches, and you start feeling a semblance of being normal again.

Hang in there!

I completely understand it is pure hell. I had a hard time because I wanted to eat things I knew I wouldn't get to eat after the band. I had a last super mentality and I know that is what got me here. I was not perfect. I was really good with my shakes but splurged. I was alowed to eat a 5oz of meat and 2 cups of non starchy vegetables. I lost 9 pounds Are you on strictly liquids?

Thanks guys, Yes. only liquids. EAS shakes, sugar free drink and Jello. I have cheated. I am not going to lie. But, not bad cheats. Only chicken ( baked ) or just a bite or two of supper. NOthing bad or horrible. I just dont know how I can make it another 13 days. How do I shead at least 6-8 more pounds. I need the weight OFFFFF!! Oh, I cant stand to think If I dont do this I cant get the surgery.. its all just too much. I feel that IF i get the band I can let this mental hell go. I will have the band an be able to work with it.

I can handle the two week liquid diet after surgery. B/c I can have chicken or beef broth and other Protein shakes and other liquids. but this is just toooo strict. IF I could just put down the food I wouldnt need this surgery. Oh, I need the next 13 days to go by fast.. but then I dont. b/c I need the time to loose the rest of the weight... oh what hell!!!

Even post surgery, it isn't easy. Until you get a couple of fills, the band doesn't actually help much with restricting the amount of food you can eat. So this is a good time to try to get into the right headspace.

Remember, these difficulties you're experiencing is not forever. Remember why you're doing this. I am now almost 22 months post surgery, and I eat pretty normally, akin to a small eater. This is the hard part - the losing. Then life returns to some semblance of normality after that. This is just a small period of your life, and once you get to goal, the rest of your life will not be so wrapped around your weight, and around food.

Don't look at the whole 13 days ahead of you. You're screwing with your head then. Take one day at a time. Deal with each day on it's own, get to the end of each day and don't think of the next day. One foot in front of the other, step by step.

First, step away from the scale. You are unlikely to loose weight every day anyway so I think it is better to weigh yourself every couple days.

You did'nt mention how many calories you can have on your liquid diet. My surgery had to be postponed due to another health issue. My surgeon had put me on this super strick HMR 500 diet. A 500 calorie diet which was a nightmare. I ended up having trouble with the shakes (allergic like reaction) and I lost 1 pound in 4 days (No cheating and being the perfect patient). I was loosing more on my own regular food/with Protein shake diet.

Are you able to exercise? That is a really big help. In Oct 08 I started swiming everyday (yes 7 days a week) I am preband and since Oct 08 I have lost 75 pounds; and I have only been seriously dieting since 1/10.

I am also doing my pre-op diet and it is hard. I feel so weak and tired especially chasing my 2 kids around. I was told to consume between 750 and 960 calories a day. I have been having 2-3 shakes a day at 130 calories each then at dinner I have a meal. The nurse suggested frozen meals which do not exceed 450 calories. I have found that if I figure out what dinner I am going to have and add those as calories consumed then it is easier to gauge how many shakes I can have. I was also advised to walk 30 minutes a day and I have been. I have been losing about a pound a day. I was told that if my liver is too big they may have to cut me all the way open. I had 2 c-sections and know all about that...I would choose this diet over that!

I think that this is one of the hardest things I have done before. It is rough and having no energy and the demands of life staying the same wow this is rough. I have to work at not being grouch because I am hungry...really hungry and weak. I get that anything worth doing is going to take effort and I have to keep telling myself that this is going to change. It will not be like this forever and this is something I need to do to ensure a safe surgery.

Thanks for giving me the forum to complain also! I do not think it is much help but misery loves company sometimes : )

I wonder if you tried what my doc said to do if you would see results that you would be happy with?

I want to encourage you, this is the path that you need to take to get to your destination....you can do it press on!

Liquids are the devil!!!!!!

I was on them a week preop and a week postop. That preop week was hell. I was in a fog, couldn't concentrate, my head hurt, and just over felt like I got run over. I work 24 hr shifts and it got to the point where I would drive in the wrong direction or stop and look at my partner and say, "you hafta do this." I kept dreaming of chicken :devil_smile:

I only lost a couple pounds in that week because I do not handle liquids well. I definitely go into starvation mode quick. My surgeon said he was looking to reduce the size of my liver, not for weight loss at this point, but I had already dropped 55# by surgery time.

BUT!!!! It is the means to the end. Having surgery is probably the best decision any of us have made for ourselves.

You will get through it and be prepared for an easier surgical experience. It does suck though!!

Good luck!

Edited by abracadabra

Hah! Dreaming of chicken! That's funny because my last dream before surgery was of chocolate cake and the dog running amok in the hospital! Looking forward to full liquids!

Hopefully this will make you feel a bit better- I had my surgery on Monday and according to my Dr., my liver was "perfect" and my preop diet was NOT liquid. I got in about 1000 calories per day.

Stick with it and you will do great!

kagead

The preop diet is hard -- no two ways about it! That sucks that yours is so long -- but you'll make it through and be fine. Why don't you call your doctor and see if there is a variation you can do to make this easier for you (e.g. like one meal a day)? That's part of many people's pre-op diet. I think it would be better to do that than to risk freaking out and bingeing.

You've got to stop weighing yourself 5 times a day. Just do it one time, at the same time every day (I do first thing in the a.m. . . pre-shower, post-loo). That works well for me.

Some things you can be doing to get your mind off the pre-op diet are:

1. Take before photos (you will regret not having a bunch later when you want to compare how much thinner you are to when you started. . I know I do!);

2. Take your measurements and set up a spreadsheet with them, along with the date and your weight. You can update this as you lose.

3. Write out a list of all the things you're looking forward to about being thinner. When you're hating the diet and want to cheat, give it a read. Put down as many things as you can think of. And get ready. . . you are going to actually experience them once you get going on this journey for real.

This is an amazing tool, and it really works wonders when you follow what you're supposed to do. I know this pre-op diet totally sucks and is practically impossible to stick to, but you can do it. It's just 13 days out of your entire life, and in return, you are going to be able to stop feeling bad about your weight, to get healthy, and to improve your quality of life more than you probably even realize right now. I know this because all of that happened to me. My preop diet wasn't as hard as yours, but it was no picnic (ha ha. .) and it was worth every bit of effort to get through it.

I hope that helps! Good luck with the next 13 days and beyond. :thumbup:

Best wishes,

Catherine

Hey tori! Double ck w/Dr Kim's office. I was told we can do SF popsicles. They are my life saver at night when I want a munchie.

I was also told we can mix the shake with skim milk. (It gives me the runs...but maybe you might be ok.)

And they said I could do broth.

It seems they only write out a few things you can have, but once you question them on it, they do add more things.

I think that might help.

We're almost to surg date! Think how great you're going to feel soon!!

I would just put the scale away if I were you. Have your hubby put it somewhere that you don't know where it is. This way no temptation to stress over one more thing.

Hang in there! You'll do great! Keep it up!

Ya know I am just on Day 3 of my 2 weeks liquid diet and yeah it's HARD! But I tell myself it's only 2 weeks out of my life and pretty soon I will be on my way to a new and healthier me! My mom says I'm the type of person that will not allow myself to be uncomfortable and that's why I've reached this point of having to lose 150 lbs. I think she's probably right. Alot of it is "mind over matter" and now is the time to do this as we are going to be spending the rest of our lives making the better choices even though our stomachs may want something different. I believe it to be like an alcholic or ex-smoker. Those cravings are always going to be there but we have to learn to suppress them. I find being on here very supportive and encouraging. Try to find something to fill your day while waiting for this surgery. and put that scale away! I don't even have one. I'm planning on just going by the Dr's until I get to goal and then getting one to monitor myself. Good luck and godspeed to you!

Hey Tori,

Don't Fret, I'm on day 7 and your right it's hell. I just make sure to keep a bottle of Water on me at all times...this seems to keep my hunger pains and heartburn to a minimum. Good luck and remember why you are doing this. Also on a personal note I think your Husband needs to have his head checked, you are going to need as much support as possible, the LAP-BAND® won't solve everything but if he cares about you he should support your decision to want to be healthy. It's not about "Moving more eating less" we have all lost the weight but almost always gain it back plus more, this is about making a decision that will help keep you healthy for the rest of your life.

I cheated but got right back on the bandwagon. Just remember that this is one hurdle in the race to becoming a thinner and healthier you.