Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Going in July 6th: Are you glad you did it??

Im all approved and going through the torture of all of these tests and classes - I will be so happy once this is done.

With that said I am really nervous. Did you get a lapband? Are you glad you did? How fast did you start to lose?

Do you drink alcohol? I'm not sure I am going to be able to stop that altogether.

What are the main things I should not forget?

Please tell me this becomes second nature.

Thanks!

Billy:thumbup:

I heard it's not good to drink beer with a lap band (I'm not banded yet but will be). I think it's because it makes you burp lol.

Just a little something I learned yesterday :)

Getting banded is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

I have not given up alcohol, though I don't ever have martinis anymore because my tolerance is so much lower at this weight that one would do me in for the night!

Don't forget to take your measurements and before photos asap. You will want them later, I promise you!

Yes -- this does become second nature. And, you can have a life, enjoy good food and wine with the band. In fact, I enjoy food more now because I don't have guilt feelings associated with it and have to feel bad about myself if I eat something that is high in calories.

Check out my blog if you have a minute. It will give you a good idea of what it's like being banded, and I have some links in there to other bandster blogs that I really like.

I hope that helps! :thumbup:

Catherine

Hey Billy.

I was banded a little over a year ago, and I had the same concerns - Agh!! No beer!!

No problems drinking anything - except somethings like dry white wine can make me feel a little acidic in my throat. Beer is sweet, you might have to drink at tiny bit slower (and definitely don't attempt it for the first month while you're healing!) the only problem I have found with beer and alcohol - is that it has really slowed my weightloss down. Doesn't mean that it's still not happening but I do like to get on the booze on the weekends, and if I compare to the rest of my bunny bandsters who were banded april 09 like I was, they are all quite a bit thinner than I am now, in saying that, I've lived my life and had fun and still lost weight.

I cannot believe how happy I am that I made this choice, I love my life now, and I still have a BMI of 37 - but its coming off bit by bit each week and I feel like there is hope again for me :thumbup:

Good luck - you won't know yourself a year from now! Enjoy the new life !!

Thanks for this post Billy, you took the questions right out of my mind! I will be checking back for more replies.

Good luck to you!

Hi Billy-

I was banded on the 19th of April, and can only try to express how grateful I am for the chance to get healthy. I've been on a steady loss run since the pre-op diet. This morning I stepped on the scale to discover that I am down 27lbs since my surgery, and when I factor in my preop plan its an even 45! That said, it was tough in the begining, and its a continual learning process. I work hard to follow the rules and the positive affirmation the loss provides keeps me on track. I wouldn't change a thing! It will all be worth it.:thumbup:

Best of luck to you!

I am thrilled with my decision. I was banded April 7 and have lost 49.8 pounds total, 26.8 of it since surgery.

I have followed the guidlines pretty much as written and have had pretty steady weight loss. I have been lucky to have some restiction from the surgery itslf and now with two fills am continuing to lose.

I would not change a thing, except maybe to have gotten it done sooner. My band has had a positive effect on my appetite and is definitely helping with the weight loss and abililty to stick with it.

CATHERINE 55 - You look fabulous! WOW! I can't wait to lose more after seeing your pix! :thumbup: