Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How important are the rules really?

I don't understand why you even got banded?

I find this info a little strange because I use sweet-n-low and it is saccharine. I think with the band the carbination and sodium play more of a roll.

Diet soft drinks bad for your waistline?

February 22, 2008

Clark's executive producer Christa recently gave up soft drinks for Lent. She had been drinking about 3 or 4 beverages a day.

A recent Purdue University study found that soft drinks with saccharine actually make you gain weight, not lose it. Researchers believe the saccharine alters your appetite and makes you want to eat more.

An older study suggested that diet sodas trick your brain and body in a bad way. While they're sweet to your palate, they don't offer any real sugar for the body to metabolize. There's a real disconnect between what your body expects and what it actually gets. That's why some people think drinking even one diet soda a day actually increases your chances of gaining weight.

source: google search

Edited by Humming Bird

The way I see it, why would I have surgery if I wasn't serious about following the rules. Personally, I follow the "band rules" to avoid complications. Sometimes complications are unavoidable but we should do everything in our power to control what we can. Like another poster mentioned, please don't blame the band down the road for any of your shortcomings, if the real problem is your commitment level. Regarding "sheep mentality" I don't think that has anything to do with it. To me it's common sense. If you want to avoid getting burned, then don't play with fire. Be kind to your band, take care of it and yourself.

Best,

Lauren

I don't understand why you even got banded?

my thoughts too.

Ok, so I admit to being hard-headed & needing to learn things the hard way. This being said, I have to admit to not following the surgeons instructions: I drink caffeinated diet soda & have had the occasional alcoholic beverage. Also, I have not followed the liquid, puree, soft then regular foods after fills regime. Because I have not had any adverse affects, I can't help but wonder why all the restrictions.... (I can see how it could be an issue for some)... I guess what I am wondering is, outside of the empty calories in alcohol, can any of this behavior hinder how effective the band is? If there is anyone who can offer some concrete info I would sure appreciate it!!

Hi, when drinking caffeinated diet soda or any carbonated (bubbly) drinks, you are stretching your "new" smaller pouch. By stretching your pouch you will have difficulty losing weight.

Hope this helps...

Wow, starting a thread like this is like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire! It's either incredibly gutsy - or stupid... :(

I'm in the group who's surgeon pretty much uses the trial and error method, because everyone has different tolerances to begin with, not to mention adding endless variables (stress, sleep, exercise, hydration, restriction, etc, etc etc,)...

I drink beer and soda from time to time - and coffee many times EVERY day. For me it's not cheating because my surgeon allows it if his patients have tolerance for it. BUT... it would be a mistake to come here looking for justification to break your doc's rules. If you disagree with them, take them up with your doc and hash it out....

When it comes to progress there are much bigger "rules" that will effect your success than drinking soda or beer. Success doesn't mean weight loss because that's not accurate - it's more like fat loss that we desire. After all, what good is starving yourself and losing pound after pound of lean muscle tissue?

I am curious, however, that several people have inquired when you were banded and how much success you've had - but I havn't seen the answer.....

Brad

I follow the rules for the most part. I think I've had one soda, a few beers, lots of wine (although for the last two weeks none), since being banded. My doctor says that if you can tolerate it you can drink it. My daughter, who was banded in March, does break the rules. She probably is giving 60 % to her diet and doesn't exercise. She does work at Home Depot so she walks a lot. And she IS losing. She drinks with meals, eats chips occasionally, drinks soda, drinks alcohol all occasionally, She told me she has about 5 sodas a week and they"re not diet. So here you have an example of a sheep and a rule breaker, both successful. I do think attitude has something to do with success though and committing to something makes us feel better and lose weight. So you can't go wrong with the right attitude! Best wishes on your journey!

Edited by illuminationlady

Oh my gosh... Well I'm not perfect, and Doctor's aren't Gods- so I try to listen to my body! I switched to mushies without my Dr's approval b/c I knew it was the right thing to do for MY body- I continue to lose weight successfully! This is YOUR tool to use with YOUR body- everyone is different! That being said, medically, soda is not recommended b/c of the carbination which can expand the pouch AND because it is very acidic and your risks of developing ulcers after banding is increased b/c acidic foods (which can cause ulcers) have a smaller pouch area to penetrate and concentrate in (same with coffee and alcohol). Further, the number 1 cause of band slippage is vomitting. Thus, if you are tolerating the foods you are eating, you should be fine- regardless of the seemingly baseless comment made by another user.

You asked for facts, so, I hope this was CONSTRUCTIVE feedback.... p.s. I'm not a baaaaaaa either!

Edited by sloanjd

Have you had any fills yet?? Definitely do what the doctor says or this will not work long term. I have worked my @ss off to get where I'm at right now. I am at 45 lb weight lost post-surgery. I work out at the gym 3-5 times a week. I admit, I do eat bad when I'm out with friends, but after this last fill, I am very restricted to what I eat. I have learned to eat healthier this way too. Diet soda was hard for me to give up before surgery, but I drink one every once in a great while. Water is the best thing for your body!! I also drink iced tea with no sugar. This definitely requires a life change and it is difficult but do what your dr says, and in the long run, you will be thanking them later on. GOOD LUCK!

I dont know why you wouldnt follow his instructions. My doc looked and at me and told me " tori I can get you donwn to your goal, but you are going to have to follow the rules that I give you to get you there." I am all in! liquid diet is kick my ASS!! but, I only cheated the first day and that was crutons and baby carrots.

I am willing to walk to the moon and back for man who tells me he can get me to my goal... out of my fat suit and back into life. Just my opinion. good luck

My daughter, who was banded in March, does break the rules. She probably is giving 60 % to her diet and doesn't exercise. She does work at Home Depot so she walks a lot. And she IS losing. She drinks with meals, eats chips occasionally, drinks soda, drinks alcohol all occasionally, She told me she has about 5 sodas a week and they"re not diet. So here you have an example of a sheep and a rule breaker, both successful.

Sorry.... I can't let this one slide by without comment... :(

First the disclaimer... the following is my opinion only... You know what they say about opinions... Okay... that part is done...

Now... I don't want anyone to think that you can just get banded, eat chips, drink alcohol, and full sugar soda and lose weight so long as you just walk around the Home Depot all day... :eek: Oh if it were only that easy...

She was just banded in March? She may be losing weight right now... Well guess what, come along August or September she's going to be due for a big a$$ wake up call... She'll be complaining that she's plateau'd and stalled out and this damn band thing isn't working at all... that'll be followed by "maybe I should go get a fill."

If she isn't exercising, but has a good calorie deficit from intake alone (diet), then the weight she's losing is, percentage-wise, far larger Fluid and lean muscle tissue when compared to someone who is sufficiently exercising. What's the difference? The exerciser is maintaining a healthy metabolism by keeping as much lean muscle tissue as possible, which will keep the FAT loss going. The other is slowly but surely crashing their metabolism, losing lean body mass, and when the equalibrium is met - the plateau arrives.

And walking around the home depot, or anywhere else for that matter, is a part of a good active lifestyle, but that aint exercise.

Ok... I'm done...

Brad

I couldn't agree more!!! Thank you!!

sorry.... I can't let this one slide by without comment... :(

First the disclaimer... The following is my opinion only... You know what they say about opinions... Okay... That part is done...

Now... I don't want anyone to think that you can just get banded, eat chips, drink alcohol, and full sugar soda and lose weight so long as you just walk around the home depot all day... :eek: Oh if it were only that easy...

She was just banded in march? She may be losing weight right now... Well guess what, come along august or september she's going to be due for a big a$$ wake up call... She'll be complaining that she's plateau'd and stalled out and this damn band thing isn't working at all... That'll be followed by "maybe i should go get a fill."

if she isn't exercising, but has a good calorie deficit from intake alone (diet), then the weight she's losing is, percentage-wise, far larger Fluid and lean muscle tissue when compared to someone who is sufficiently exercising. What's the difference? The exerciser is maintaining a healthy metabolism by keeping as much lean muscle tissue as possible, which will keep the fat loss going. The other is slowly but surely crashing their metabolism, losing lean body mass, and when the equalibrium is met - the plateau arrives.

And walking around the home depot, or anywhere else for that matter, is a part of a good active lifestyle, but that aint exercise.

Ok... I'm done...

Brad

Sorry.... I can't let this one slide by without comment... :(

First the disclaimer... the following is my opinion only... You know what they say about opinions... Okay... that part is done...

Now... I don't want anyone to think that you can just get banded, eat chips, drink alcohol, and full sugar soda and lose weight so long as you just walk around the Home Depot all day... :crying: Oh if it were only that easy...

She was just banded in March? She may be losing weight right now... Well guess what, come along August or September she's going to be due for a big a$$ wake up call... She'll be complaining that she's plateau'd and stalled out and this damn band thing isn't working at all... that'll be followed by "maybe I should go get a fill."

If she isn't exercising, but has a good calorie deficit from intake alone (diet), then the weight she's losing is, percentage-wise, far larger Fluid and lean muscle tissue when compared to someone who is sufficiently exercising. What's the difference? The exerciser is maintaining a healthy metabolism by keeping as much lean muscle tissue as possible, which will keep the FAT loss going. The other is slowly but surely crashing their metabolism, losing lean body mass, and when the equalibrium is met - the plateau arrives.

Ok... I'm done...

Brad

Can't argue with you BamBam- the proof is in the pudding (no pun intended), you look awesome! Everything you said is also accurate about building muscle mass to burn fat vs. burning off Water and muscle when you don't eat right or excercise. :eek:

Edited by sloanjd

I was told that drinking carbonated beverages would stretch out my pouch and could cause my stomach to get a ulcer. Well I know that the ulcer thing is true because before I had the band I had stomach problems because of carbonated beverages and caffine, both will wreck havoc on your stomach. My doctor told me that after a fill you stomach swells a little so thats why the liquids and puree's for 2 days. Your stomach needs to heal. I have seen first hand what not following the rules has done to another bandster. A man I worked with had lost close to a 100 lbs then started drinking the soda's again and snacking between meals. He even bragged that he could eat almost anything he wanted. Well guess what, he has gained most of the weight back. I don't want to go down the path he has. I love feelin good again and I refuse to give that up. I feel a 100% better since giving up soda's and I really don't miss them at all. I wish you all the best and I hope you are successful with your weight loss.:(

You know there are lot of good points in here and the op was very brave. My surgeon here in australia does NOT ban carbonated drinks or drinking with meals, they even did a study with patients (not sure how like a barium I expect)and proven that it made no difference at all drinking with meals. Actually with my issues I find it easier to eat and keep food down if I sip a glass of Water, or I have something with a lot of gravy or some form of sauce.

I do drink full sugar coke of occasion (which my doc knows about), I now have only 2ccs in my 11cc band and have lost heaps of weight and kept it off. It has not stretched my stomach. I am coming upto 3 years banding. I have trouble some days keeping food down. I do have issues with my band but my doc assures me that its not due to what I eat but due to my MS. You can only go by what you are told is acceptable and there does seem to be a wide range of 'rules'.

I think some of the comments are a bit rough to the OP though.

Jo