Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My band has slipped. :(

I'm sorry, but I'm sticking with Leatha. You should get a couple different opinions. I've had 5 band surgeons all agree on the same thing, but then I had 3 different opinions on another issue. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best - keep positive.

You lost me, love =) Which post of Leatha's are you referring to? Tell me what to do, and I'll do it, like a good boyfriend.

Seriously, it's a slipped band. What's the 2nd opinion for? Right now, I can't even get a doctor to call me BACK, much less offer an opinion on anything.

Waiting only a week seems like too short of a time to me also. If the point is to shrink your stomach it sure seems like 10-14 days would be better. And... okay, I know this sounds crazy, but how about standing on your head? Okay... that's hard on the skull, but how about hanging upside down on monkey bars a little? Maybe even put the foot of your bed up so you're sleeping slightly downhill. If your stomach shrinks and you give gravity it's best shot maybe it WILL slip it back into place!

Hey, can't hurt.

So, so sorry Jonathan. This has been SUCH a hard year for you! I promise in ten you'll look back and be grateful for all you learned during this time and I know what an even MORE compassionate and strong man you'll become.

I am not a "religious" person, but I am a deeply spiritual person and I truly believe pain is often a vessel that makes our spirits grow. If you've asked God to help you be a better man I'd say your prayers are being answered.

Hopefully it helps you to think of it that way. It often helps me.

Jonathan, first of all, please allow me to ad my name to the long list of people who are extremely sorry that you are having to go through this. It's not fair and it's not your fault. Remember, you have done nothing wrong.

You lost 40 lbs on your own, without the help of the band as it wasn't working. You are an outstanding inspiration to all of us here, for which I thank you.

I also feel that you should report this doctor to the AMA and any other professional organization he may belong to, such as the American board of gastroenterology or bariatric medicine. This information is usually printed on their business cards. I am a strong believer that all medical students should be required to spend two weeks in the hospital as a patient as part of their medical training. Then perhaps they would learn what it's like to be treated without respect or dignity. Some of these doctors think they are Gods and don't have to account for their wrong doing. We should absolutely make them accoutable for wrong doing or they are never going to stop. Most people get angry and just want the problem resolved. I understand that, but I also understand, that as long as we allow people to get away with doing the wrong thing, they will continue to do so. Fortunately not all doctors are like this. I hope you find a sympathetic doctor who will repair or replace your band and accept your insurance. That's my prayer for you.

You live in or near a large city, so you should also check with your local news stations to see if any of them have investigative consumer reporters. This is a consumer issue, and nothing will get his attention faster than a reporter asking him to give his side of the story, and you can bet he won't be charged for the interview either. If they pick up your story, you may even hear from a doctor who will agree to take your case and your insurance.

Finally, I would look into getting a contingency attorney, that only collects if he wins the case. This doctor is wrong and he should be called on it. I am not a sue, sue, sue person, but there is nothing frivilous about messing around with people's health and well being.

Sorry for the long post, I hope you get this resolved soon. I will be praying for the liquids to correct the band and that you also find a doctor who can help you and take your insurance.

Take Care

Cindy

On my knees praying for you my friend. Welcome to the slipped band club. Although I'm glad to hear there is a possibility yours might be righted and 7 days is a small price to pay dear. I would have gladly done that if I could have gotten liquids down when mine slipped.

Keep us posted, okay? We care.

Thank you all. I'm hanging in there... by a thread, but hanging. I'm on day 3 of liquids, and I haven't killed anyone yet, so I think things are progressing well. (And yes, Darcey, it's a small price to pay, and I'm happy to do it, just for the chance.)

Jonathan

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

Ohhhh Man!! All these band problems just suck. Hope everything works out for you. I agree that you shoud definately talk to a lawyer. If it was told to you that it slipped because the band was to small to begin with then that is a dr. mistake and should be taken care of at their expense. I would call back and ask to talk to him and if they give you the run around then tell them you have contacted an attorney(even if u haven't yet)

and the Dr. can either talk to you and get this worked out or they can go through your attorney. You will more than likely get some results.

Let me know how it goes.

This is unreal. I cannot get a doctor to take me. Dr. Powell's office never even had the courtesy to call me back. I had to keep calling and leaving messages, and finally got ahold of Myra again, and she told me that they couldn't take me because they didn't have a reliable hospital to perform the surgery in. That sounds like 100% bullshit to me.

I'm looking for a lawyer today, but in the mean time, I can't even get a doctor to TALK TO ME ON THE PHONE OR SEE ME IN THE OFFICE to tell me if I'm in any danger. I have a slipped band. Surely this isn't something that I can just live with, is it? What am I supposed to do?

Veninga didn't take you? He took me with a slipped band and previous other doctor. :D Darn. I completely understand where you are right now. I had the same problem. I was calling and begging and fearful of what damage might be going on inside, but as long as you aren't having any serious vomiting/pain etc. If you are unfilled, you are probably fine and though the matter does need to be seen to, it is not an emergency situation.

You need to contact Inamed to let them know you have been diagnosed with a slip and now you can't find a physician who will take you. They need to track your band and document what goes on with it.

This is the lady who contacted me at home : denise.maddalon@inamed.com

Feel free to PM me if you need to talk about it or if I can help you in any other way. Also, I'm available on Yahoo IM - lethalwoman2003

Johnathon. If nothing else, you need to request your medical records from the doctor that won't talk to you. You need to MAKE SURE it has the operative record in it, with the size and serial# of your band. You also need to get any xrays/flouro that you can get your hands on.

Veninga didn't take you? He took me with a slipped band and previous other doctor.
He doesn't take BC/BS. I'm understanding that I may end up having to pay for this out of pocket. It's infurating since I have insurance that would cover it now. (Not to mention, I actually *can't* pay for it out of pocket. I have no credit cards, and I'm not going to be able to get any. I took an 80% cut in pay when I left my software development job to go into ministry.)

Dear Jonathan

I am just recently back on the boards & have now seen your post. Hopefully your band has now slipped back into place & your Christmas miracle has come early. If not have you tried Dr.Pleatman here in Michigan?? The office manager is KAren or Joe(a Lady) They are both helpful. They do exept BC/BS & he is sometimes also on the boards here. I attached his website & hope your situation straightens itself out soon. I am truely sorry your going through all of this. head up:0)

http://www.laparoscopy.com/pleatman/index.htm

Didnt his band slip back into place?

So are you ok? Did the liquids work? Really, if they put in the wrong size band they should replace it at no cost to you. Also, if your insurance may pay and you can't find a surgeon, they will find one for you. They are obligated to.