Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, call me a freak..

but I am on my FIRST day of my liquid diet. And I am starving to death! befre you judge let my give you my liquid diet:

Optifast shakes 5x a day

any sugarfree drink

sugarfree jello

and that is it!!!!!! no broth, no small meals. that is it.

It is day one and holly hell!! How will I make it 20 more days of this!!! How did everyone else get through this?

I mean come on!! I am fat I like to eat!!:tongue2: and you go and give me Jello? ?? hello!!:eek:

I had a similar pre-op diet. I was allowed 3 Bariatric Advantage Protein shakes and all the broth and sugar free Jello I wanted. Whoo-hoo!

All I can tell you is that the first 4 days are going to be rough. After that your body (and head) will start to ease up on your stomach and it won't be so bad. The only thing that got me through this phase was seeing the pounds drop really quickly.

Don't cheat........But if you do find yourself starting to cheat on your pre-op diet you should give your surgeon a call. Maybe they can work with you to incorporate some solids into your diet. I stuck to it, but another lady that was going through the surgery on the same day as me had trouble. She started to cheat, but chose the absolute WRONG things to cheat with. This is a time to pretty much eliminate carbs from your diet which will help shrink your liver for a more successful surgery. The surgeon postponed her surgery when she finally fessed up to what she ate pre-op. The second time around they allowed her to have some chicken breast (without anything on it or any sauce). She stuck to that and was successfully banded.

Stick with it....post often for support....and find some new time consuming hobbies! Good luck and I hope that the next three weeks goes quickly for you!!

HappyMom is absolutely right. It takes about 4 days and you will be fine. We all did it and we're still here. Mine was 3 Protein Drinks, sf Jello and sf popsicles and clear strained Soup. Love the pops, they got me though it. Lots of Water helps. But you'll do it, I just know you will. Think farther down the road, you'll do fine

Carol

I was allowed 4 shakes a day and Water. NO diet Jello or broth or anything else. After about 3 days the physical hunger gets better because you go into ketosis. But the head hunger is there. Set your eyes on the end prize. I found out after surgery it was all for a good reason. I was much better prepared for the post-op diet by going thru the pre-op stuff.

I'm with you, I'm on day 5 and am not doing so well. I must admit I did 'cheat' once with an animal cracker, but I'm not beating myself up about it.

My surgeon has me on a liquid diet limited to 800 cals. How I get those calories are up to me, but they highly reccomend Protein shakes. I've been doing three shakes a day and a Soup for lunch with Water to drink.

There is NOTHING good about this stage, except maybe when it's over!!

Good luck!

I'm right there with ya, sister!!! This is my last week of food and next Tuesday I start the exact same diet as you. I noticed you're in TX too. I wonder if we're seeing the same dr! :tongue2: When is your surgery? Mine is the 29th.

I hear after the 3rd day it gets better. I wish they could just knock us out for a few days!! haha

By this time next week, I'LL be starving and you'll already be a week into it...so I'll be coming to YOU for support!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!! BIG PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am thankfully on the last day of my pre-op surgery tomorrow YAY! I think my first 2-3 days were the worst and then i got alot better, I was blessed to be able to eat 1 no carb meal a day so I know yours is worse. But on the upside I have lost 20+ lbs in the 12 days I've been on the diet....scale motivation

I'm on my first day of my pre-op diet and I swear the only thing I'm thinking about is FOOD!! I'm NEVER like that!!! My diet consists of 2 Protein shakes and 1 meal (4 ounces of Protein and 1/2 c. of non-carb veggies). I can also have Jello, broth, and popsicles.

I am having surgery on the 22nd and I think every emotion I have is popping up! Excited, scared, nervous, etc.....

Good luck to you all!

I did 4 straight weeks of only 5 Optifast shakes a day and don't recall being hungry once.

It's mind of matter. Get your mind off of food!

PS. Do they tell you sugar free Jello was ok? Mine was strictly Optifast and Water.

I had a hard time at first with the mental part of it, the first couple of days being the hardest. After that it was gravy, pardon the pun. the weekends are hardest, because you have more time to think about eating, try to concentrate on something else or start typing and keep a log, you wont be able to eat if you are typing, just put down all your thoughts and feelings and keep track of your progress - dont cheat - this is one time when it only hurts you

Thanks everyone for the support. today was sooooooo hard. I did cheat a little. I had too. I felt really bad and so hungry. I had 6 baby croutons, a 1/2 of chicken broth and 4 baby carrots.

I guess I missed the boat on carrots having carbs. I always looked at calories and fat. Never at carbs. Now that I am watching carbs. Holly Hell!

but, back on track tomorrow. I am looking at it like this. I could have stopped by McDonalds or some other fast food. I choose healthy cheats so I am not going to beat myself up over it. I will continue tomorrow. i am thinking of getting low fat low carb beef Jerky. Just to put in my mouth and chew on when I hit those " I AM GOING TO EAT MY COUCH IF I DONT GET SOMETHING" moments. :eek:

Dr.Kim in the ft.worth/dallas area is my doctor. Surgery is June 29th.

Mellisa ( from dr.kims office ) sent me a letter saying what i cant eat. Optifast, sugar free drinks, tea kool aid etc. and sugar free Jello. I havent had any jello yet. but I am done for the night. b/c I cheated I am not going to have my last shake. And I will go walking for an hour tonight. :tongue2: to make sure I walk off what I ate.

ugh! I hope by day 4 this will be much easier!!!! I wish they made a pill or a surgery where I was never hungry again. I would love to go through lfe and never want to eat!!!

Don't skip the shake because you cheated. You need to pump up the protien to help flush the carbs and carb addiction. Once you get past day four and have cleared the carbs you will feel better. Your body is detoxing from your carb addiction. You feel bad and hungry, but if you follow things as your Dr. laid out you will be over the addiction to carbs soon and feel better as well.

You can do this, but you must stay away from the croutons and baby carrots!

Dr.Kim in the ft.worth/dallas area is my doctor. Surgery is June 29th.

I just made my surg the same date w/the same DR! Do they do more than one surgery a day? Guess so. That's so awesome!

Are you going 6/14 for the orientation mtg or whatever it is? I'm going at 10:00. then get to pick up our lovely shakes!

I just made my surg the same date w/the same DR! Do they do more than one surgery a day? Guess so. That's so awesome!

Are you going 6/14 for the orientation mtg or whatever it is? I'm going at 10:00. then get to pick up our lovely shakes!

Dr Kim had 6 scheduled the day I had my surgery.

Get the Optifast! It is worth the extra money.

Dr Kim had 6 scheduled the day I had my surgery.

Get the Optifast! It is worth the extra money.

thanks! thankfully from reading everyone on here, I told her yesterday I wanted the Optifast.