Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise Schmexercise (or Liar, Liar, Plants for Hire)

Hi all,

Erika have tried any exercise videos. They come in various lengths (from 10mins and up).

I think a good idea would to be to try to find a few bandsters who use videos and maybe we could rotate them for 4 to 6 six weeks for some variety and then by the end of a particular cycle you would have your originals back if you wanted.:tongue2:

I have balked at formal exercise my whole life. I have joined a gym a few times and I have joined curves a few times. I do not like exercising with other people at all so I usually quit in a few months. With the band, I knew I needed to find something I like. I have walked more consistently than anything else in my life, so I decided to start there. I just walked down the road a little ways and walked back to begin with. (keep in mind that my kids are grown now) I knew myself well enough to know that if I didn't do it before work, I wouldn't do it at all.al. I started getting up a little earlier, and walked a little further as I felt like it. Soon I was up to 2 miles and I thought it was a terrible long way, because some of it was up hill. I just went every day and something amazing happened. I started getting a euphoric feeling from it!! Then I started increasing my distance. Now two miles is like a little stroll, and I am really enjoying it every single day. I vary my route so I don't get bored and I walk two hours a day and look forward to doing it again. I didn't think I had time to do it at all, but now I just figure out a way to get it done. The difference is that now I really want to do it. It is amazing what you do when you actually want to. I am not suggesting that everyone walk, I just think everyone can find something enjoyable if they don't start out by over doing it. If you either decide it is too much work, or you get sore, you won't keep doing it.

:thumbup:a few more suggestions

if you have netflix they have exercise items viewable on your computer that way you can do them whenever and mix it up without starting a library

also ebay has many used items as does craiglist that can reduce your cost

my library also has free loaners

I have just dance for the wii and love it so do the kids

Erika,

I think you're doing great considering what you have to deal with. I'm an Asperger's mom, too and during those years, I barely could find time to shower and brush my teeth. Then when my oldest was 8, my younger son was diagnosed with Type I diabetes. It's all you can do to get through your day and I understand the daycare issues. Everyone was so afraid of their issues, I couldn't even get their grandparents to watch them.

I think your plan to get into things when your 6 year old goes to kindergarten are good. That's a reasonable goal and you may be able to fit something in then. For the summer, I'd try exercising with them. My kids always loved when we'd put on a silly CD and dance around. It's not as organized as the gym, but it get's you moving. The other thing that worked well for us, was a pool membership. We joined a small hotel pool and we went during the day when the tourists were out and about. I don't think my son ever could have managed the public pool, but he did like to swim. The physical activity really helped with some of his anxiety issues. I know you probably won't get much actual exercise at the pool with 3 kids, but you need to start small.

I need to let you know that everything will get better. I know these kids vary widely. It seems that when you have an autistic kid, you get to meet alot of them (and their parents!). The whole school thing will be stressful. Change is always hard for them. Elementary school was tough for Justin, but middle-school was OK and in high school, he did great. Now he's in college and has a job. He truly is a great kid and I'm very proud of him. These kids have many challenges to deal with, but they can do great things. Please PM me, if there's anything you want to talk about.

Cindy