Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone mentioned in a different post thal Old Country Buffet does not honor the lapband cards.

I was wondering how often people show them, do most waitstaff know what they are, and how long does it take to get the card. I ordered mine the beginning of april and haven't got it yet

I use mine everytime I go out to eat. i always order from the kid's meal, put half of it in a takeout box as soon as it arrives at the table(even the kids meals suffer from portion distortion!), and eat what is left. That keeps me from overindulging, and sets out just what the portion should be for me. Whenever I present the card to the server and ask if i could order from the kids menu, they either scrutinize the card, reading the front and back, or they say "whatever" without a glance at the card. I have yet to be told "no", and the nicest response I had was at Logan's Roadhouse. The server was very attentive to the special dietary restrictions, and was sure to offer any condiment she thought i might be able to have with my food. Definitely use the card, it just might make that particular server more aware for the next person who may be too shy to try to use the card.

You should call Allergan and ask them where your card was sent. I got mine about 3 weeks after surgery, and I ordered it as soon as I got home and was feeling well enough to read the info packet that came home with me from the surgical center.

I've only used mine in Vegas at the Paris buffet. I was overly tight on this trip and could barely eat anything. There was just no way I was gonna pay $35 to hardly eat anything and no champagne either (bubbles). So, I showed them the card and asked to be charged for the child's price buffet and it turned out to be no big deal. The hostess acted like she must have seen these cards a million times before and immediately rang me up as a child.

Ok, stupid question, but I'm 4 weeks post op and have heard nothing about lapband cards! What are they and how do you get one?

Someone mentioned in a different post thal Old Country Buffet does not honor the LAP-BAND® cards.

I was wondering how often people show them, do most waitstaff know what they are, and how long does it take to get the card. I ordered mine the beginning of april and haven't got it yet

That was me! :) Wow, mine came very quickly. I would talk to your surgeon's office. See if they can help you order another one.

Ok, stupid question, but I'm 4 weeks post op and have heard nothing about LAP-BAND®® cards! What are they and how do you get one?

You can either ask your surgeon's office for the packet to order it, go on allergan's website and request it, or call the number for allergan listed on their website. You will need to know your date of surgery, the surgeon's name, where you had your surgery, and the type and size of band you have(your surgeon's office can tell you this last piece of info.) The card is great because you can not only use it to order smaller portions in restaurants, but if you go to the ER for another non LAP-BAND® related issue, all of the info about your band is on the card(the reason they need to know the type and size), including how to reach your surgeon.

http://www.lapband.com/en/live_healthy_lapband/the_first_weeks/patient_id_card/

(try the above link to get the card, or google "LAP-BAND® patient id card). Good luck to you!

Edited by chicklittle68

My doctor says there isn't one for the Realize band but they are contemplating a card.

Someone asked the nutritionist about this in one of my classes and her response made sense to me. This may help someone else out there, too.

Very often the kids menu is chock full of unhealthy options- chicken fingers, mac and cheese, burgers and fries and the like. In addition to this, there really isn't much variety and the food isn't very tasty. She suggested simply getting a regular entree and packing up the leftovers. If this is not possible, order an appetizer and a side of something like a salad or Soup or vegetable.

She added this point, "You'll be eating smaller portions so make sure that every mouthful is a great one. Get food that you will ENJOY." For many people, eating out is a treat, so go for something delicious.

I am on the road approximately 2 weeks out of the month and eat out very frequently. I generally do Soup and an appetizer now so I imagine that will continue after I am banded.

Good luck to everyone!

kagead

I applied for my card on the Allergan website and it came quickly.

Has anyone tried to order the "Senior" option at restaurants like IHOP? The portions are smaller, but still adult fare rather than kid-style food.

I'd love to be able to order from those choices instead of the regular Entrees or kids' choices. :tongue2:

My husband wanted to go the the buffet with his friend so I said we could go. I dont like going to buffets ever even before I have been banded. But I wasnt paying full price for something I wasnt going to eat.. The woman at the register was very rude ,.. she didnt understand what my card was for or what I was even asking. Some people can be sooooo ignorant.. Needless to say I havent eaten out and used the card since. But I dont eat out anyway.

My husband wanted to go the the buffet with his friend so I said we could go. I dont like going to buffets ever even before I have been banded. But I wasnt paying full price for something I wasnt going to eat.. The woman at the register was very rude ,.. she didnt understand what my card was for or what I was even asking. Some people can be sooooo ignorant.. Needless to say I havent eaten out and used the card since. But I dont eat out anyway.

This is the first time I'm hearing about the card, but UGHH that would be my nightmare, for the waitstaff to not know what it is, and cause a huge disturbance!! I feel for you....

I originally heard about the cards here and asked my doctor about the card and he knew nothing about it. He's is looked at as "the best" in this area. I was stunned. I contacted Allergen and received my card in a week. I have tried using it several times and been turned down. I really think it's the lack of knowledge about the cards. I've been told on all occassions to order and take home, "we don't honor them" and they will NOT let you order off the children's menu under any circumstances. I live in NJ and don't know if it's just that they don't want to honor them as the economy is so bad they need to make every dollar they can or what. I am going to try again. It's discouraging since it seems also to cause a scene in the restaurant and can get embarrasing. Good luck to all and God Bless. Just remember to ask our guardian angel to help us make the right decisions and to help us not eat the wrong foods. :thumbup:

I'm suppose to go to a buffet with my family this weekend, I have had the card for a year now and have never used it. I was going to use it this weekend but after reading about your guys experience I don't know if I want to. I don't want to make a scene or have the counter person be rude or anything. How do you guys over come that?