Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm sorry but I think it would be wrong to join without them knowing you have the band. You could join but say you dont want the prize if you win. It isnt the easy option but it still is a pretty good boost with a much less chance of failure than a normal dieter. If the role was reversed I am sure you would be ticked off if someone did that.

Jo

Well joining without disclosing would be dishonest. But the people voting to not allow a banded person to participate are assuredly misinformed about the band process as well. Losing FAT with the band is still very hard work. It doesn't just magically disappear. You don't have too look far on these forums to find scores of people stranded mid-journey who are not proceeding closer to goal - it is very hard work indeed. What about people taking weight loss prescriptions or OTC weight loss drugs? Are they disqualified?

Brad

I don't think it is so much a case of not allowing as full disclosure. What are the rules, if any? Do they allow the use of medications? Must you disclose their use? Same questions for WLS. Most people in a competition expect an even playing field. Yes, we have to work to lose, but I still think we have an advantage.

I personally feel that you have an advantage over everyone else. I guess if you were up front with them and they were ok with it then go for it. You have to know that you eat less than everyone else and that you stay fuller longer because of the band. There is a guy that I work with that has had lapband and joined a 12 week biggest losser challenge and won. then they found out that he had it done and it upset a lot of people and they considered pulling his prizes so I guess it is really something you had to decide. We can all tell you our opinion but in the end it is up to you. Personally I would not join with out telling everyone and then you still run the risk of people being mad if you win.

People with a personal trainer have an advantage.

People who take diet pills have an advantage.

People who have a gym membership have an advantage.

Men have more muscle mass and lose weight faster than women ... that is an advantage.

The list could go on and on.

For me personally, there will be no contests and no compairing myself to others to "win".

I have not worked hard to take off 95 pounds. Just by getting banded has been at least 75% of what I've done. Does that mean I would have an advantage over someone who got banded and is working hard at it? Who cares? All I care about is my own method and that the weight has and is still coming off.

Edited by Humming Bird

To me, it's only cheating if you fail to disclose it. I definitely believe that all weightloss surgeries are designed to give you an advantage or an edge over losing weight the "traditional" way. I wonder if someone would be eligible to join the actual biggest loser show after having a wls. I'll have to google that one.

Best,

Lauren

To me, it's only cheating if you fail to disclose it. I definitely believe that all weightloss surgeries are designed to give you an advantage or an edge over losing weight the "traditional" way. I wonder if someone would be eligible to join the actual biggest loser show after having a wls. I'll have to google that one.

Best,

Lauren

Yes. there has been someone on the biggest loser show that has had weight loss surgery.

yes ..... the guy on The Biggest Loser had gastric bypass ...... can't remember his name ..... Ron?

Good to know... my boyfriend was actually talking about trying out for it before I had surgery and wanted to do it w/ me.

Best,

Lauren

I don't do the biggest loser at work because I feel like others would consider it cheating. Really from my perspective it would not be, I do work for every pound I lose. In other's eyes, those that really think WLS is a quick fix, would not agreee with my view; it isn't worth explaining. I just figure I'll keep challenging myself, but really that big ole pot of money they all compete for every 20 weeks isn't worth it--they all gain it all back in between challenges and then start all over again.

I think you should join it and KICK EVERYONES ASS!!!

My work voted that I could NOT participate. :-(

Mine too!!! Seems quite unfair since I have absolutely no restriction right now and could gnaw my own arm off most of the time! :unsure:

I think you should join it and KICK EVERYONES ASS!!!

And if they won't let you join that's all the more reason to work even harder and still kick their ass! :unsure:

Either way it's extra motivation!

Brad

I really do not see why you wouldn't be able to participate. If it's because the band helps you not eat as much then everyone taking diet pills, doing JCraig and WW shouldnot be able to do it either. They don't understand that we HAVE to stick to a eating plan and exercise. We still have to do the work. We have to make the right decisions. We have a

"tool" not a magic wand and IMHO I think it's unfair not to let you join. Had to get that off my chest!!! LOL

If you join and don't disclose it I think it's dishonest. Think about the people that are doing it without the advantage of the band. Speaking for myself I know I wouldn't have lost this weight without it. If I could have I wouldn't have gotten it. If you were not the one banded would you think it was fair to be competing with someone that was? Maybe you could just do it with them and not officially be in the contest. I just think it's an unfair advantage. As banders we do struggle and work very hard but in the end we still get the extra help from the band.If I won I just wouldn't feel like I won it fairly and if I couldn't win it fairly there would be nothing to be proud of. Just my opinion. And I also think if you have to ask the question deep down you already know the answer.

I think it is cheating. but that is only my opinion.

Ron, on the biggest loser had regained a huge portion of his weight, and one can only guess that he had in that time stretched his stomach, or whatever happens with gb patients.