Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys.

I just had my surgery this past Wednesday. I'm just curious when it's safe to go swimming after surgery. I know showering is OK, but I'm concerned about the chlorine in the pool. Any help would be great!

Jason

My surgeon told me no swimming or even baths for 2 weeks. Showers are ok but I assume the standing Water creates the possibility for infection. I love to swim and am having the hardest time avoiding the pool for another week and 2 days!

My surgeon doesn't want any swimming in public pools or spas until 6 weeks post op. Their take on it is that no matter how clean they say a public pool may be - it could have all sorts of bugs that could get into your port and create havoc.

I hope and pray that my MD says only two weeks. It is going to be a long hot summer if that is the case! The port should be closed over so I can't see a problem....boo hoo

I was allowed to submerge at my 2 week post op visit.....bath swim whatever...I am in love with swimming now...

Meg

my doctor said 1 week no swimming... we're in Arizona so it's almost a necessity of life here. haha

My doctor said 6 weeks, but obviously the answer differs so just ask. I'd at least want to wait until my incisions were closed.

My surgeon's general guideline is no submerging in Water of any kind until at least six weeks post-op and then you need to be examined by him to give final approval.

Thanks all. I'll see Dr. Enochs this tuesday and ask.