Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

POST OP infection? ie. Mexico

The nurse at my work just told me about "a bunch" of people who have come back from Mexico with post op infections and end up eating out of a tube and peeing out of a tube?

Now they dont do the surgery in my city and she said she called the hospital to find out more information.

I told her if nobody died then im good to go. I think shes trying to scare me.

Has anyone heard of this?

How did she become privy to the experiences of a mysterious "bunch" of people? And with what authority did she obtain confidential information from the hospital that is allegedly providing sub-par care?

It sounds like she's one of the people who likes to discourage others---who knows why.

If you've done your homework and are comfortable with your decisions, ignore the woman.

If you believe you need more information, do your best to gather it----from sources other than the nurse at work.

I agree she may just be trying to scare you. The first place I would expect to see these reports from these "bunch" of people would be right here on LBT.

However, I considered Mexico but made my decision to travel within the US for a great self-pay program. And I got referred to a local surgeon in my city to assist with adjustments under the direction of my personal surgeon.

I agree with Becky, if you are comfortable with your decision, do not let others try and convince you about a "bunch" of people peeing out of tubes.

I had revision from band to gastric sleeve in Mexico. I had the best care there. Actually the care I received there was better than I've ever received in the U.S., England, The Middle East, Singapore.

I would go back to Mexico in a heart beat. You just have to be very careful about who you choose. Do your research.

I've worked in hospitals all over the world and my experience in Mexico was fantastic. The surgeon I used is in the top 5 physicians I've ever met in skill and knowledge.

I've been on this site for over a year and have never heard of anyone who ended up eating or peeing out of a tube because of the band. And, we have plenty of people here who have had their surgeries in Mexico. I would say that it is extremely important for you to do your own research on the surgeon and hospital you plan to use, whether it be here or Mexico or anywhere. There are plenty of bad surgeons and hospitals around the world. You might even poke around in the forum here for complications to see if anyone w/problems has gone to the surgeon you are choosing.

yep, she is definitely trying to scare you. i went to mexico with Dr. Aceves and i had done all my research before that and i chose them because i felt they were my best choice. just make sure you do your research. goodluck and tell your friend to get her facts straight.:)

I don't know about "bunches" of people, but there is another forum online where there was extensive discussion about people who had returned from Mexico with infections, including some 1st hand stories...wish I could remember the site....

Well, the fact is that infection can occur regardless of who does the surgery---I haven't had a postop infection, but I know plenty of people who have. Usually, they are minor and respond well to oral antibiotics.

OTOH, I don't know anyone who's wound up with a urinary catheter or tube-feeding as a result of postop infection related to gastric banding.

There may well be some. There certainly is a wide range of doctors with a wide range of skills---I am sure there are plenty of hacks. Here, in Mexico, wherever surgery is performed.

But if you've done your homework, all you can do is pray for the best. You do your best to place yourself in competent surgical hands---knowing that there are risks associated with any surgery.

Infection is a potential every time the skin is breached---no matter who does the cutting or where.

My mother went to Mexico and had the lap band surgery done about 6 years ago. She lost 140 lbs and everything was fine until it slipped and had to be taken out. She gained 50 lbs in a year and went back to Mexico and had the sleeve done. She is doing fine, has lost 20 lbs in 3 weeks and would go back in a heartbeat. She has nothing bad to say about going there and would do it again.:)

I had my surgery done in Mexico by Dr. Ortiz in March....I couldn't be happier with the results. They picked me up from the airport, took me back and forth to the hotel, and took me back to the airport. No infections or any kind of complications. I would go back in a heart beat...

Awesome thanks guys!

One of her collueges actually came in the room and i told her and she was like AWESOME!

The nurse looked at her and said "im trying to tell her not to go"

The other nurse was like why?

Soooo i just think she doesnt want me to miss work .. ugh She even tried to make me take the surgery dates as vacation instead of sick days.

People can be so crazy lol

Gastric tubing and catheterizing happen for reasons I cannot see being caused directly by infections from the banding.

You can get infections anywhere in the world if you don't follow the rules or don't have a strong immune system. I for one have a throat/mouth infection/oral thrush post-op. I had the same thing after getting my tonsils out 12 years ago.

I personally think Mexico and Thailand have some of the best medical/dental care and practices. And for way less than the escalated, crazy prices elsewhere.

ETA This is about you, not anyone else. Screw what other people say. Good luck!

I asked the guy that does my fills about Mexico and he says that they do amazing work.

That being said at my dr's office a friend and their port moved and is now dealing with a port infection. Infections happen everywhere!

Awesome thanks guys!

One of her collueges actually came in the room and i told her and she was like AWESOME!

The nurse looked at her and said "im trying to tell her not to go"

The other nurse was like why?

Soooo i just think she doesnt want me to miss work .. ugh She even tried to make me take the surgery dates as vacation instead of sick days.

People can be so crazy lol

She is just green with envy knowing you want to better yourself. She'll probably find bad things to say about the US doctors if you decided to go that route. I was banded in MX two months ago. Super doctor, super staff! I would return in a heartbeat.

Heres a new update on my potential death.

I was told by the nurse who worked in the hospital... that she woulnt recommend it to anyone. cause one girl came back from Mexico with "the ultimate infection" Eating tube, pee bag, now anorexic, depressed, and lost her family because of it all.

So scared seeing how i go next week for surgery! I think she hates me.