Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 10-14 2010 Bandsters

Hey yall- I had my surgery Friday, and I can finally sit in front of the computer without it hurting me :redface:)

Everything went smooth, but when I woke up, my mouth was so dry I wanted to vomit. The nurse gave me some ice chips, but that really didn't help any, and after about 4, I felt too ful to have any more.

Gas pains have been my biggest obstical. They flippin SUCK! Lol-

I weighed this morning, and I'm down to 228 (from 240 last Thursday) Not bad huh? Woke up this morning with my first hunger pains. Either that, or I needed Water.

Is anyone else having a hard time getting their bladder to empty? I have to sit there and fight mine. Never had this problem with any other surgery, so I dunno :smile2:/

Anyhoo- Hope everyone else is doing well!

We are all on our way now!!! Yippee!!! :lol:)

That's great that you can sit up to your computer after only two days! Congrats on the big weight loss already too, that's incredible! I am getting banded on Tuesday and starting to get a little nervous. It helps to hear about you doing so well so shortly after your surgery. Good luck, I hope you continue to feel better.

That's great that you can sit up to your computer after only two days! Congrats on the big weight loss already too, that's incredible! I am getting banded on Tuesday and starting to get a little nervous. It helps to hear about you doing so well so shortly after your surgery. Good luck, I hope you continue to feel better.

Thank you :)) I freaked out before the surgery. So much so, that I almost backed out (I didn't tell anyone how freaked out I actually was) BUT, it was all for nothing. The worse part was how dry my mouth was. Definitely take some chap stick! The gas pains are not nice, but really aren't that bad. The more you can walk, the better!

Since I've been home, I've only had to take one of my pain pills. I've only had one bout of nausea, and the more the day goes on, the easier it is to move- I even slept on my stomach last night!!

So- Don't let it freak you out too bad. It's no walk in the park, but it's not near as bad as I had my self believing it was going to be!

Good luck!!!

You're so sweet. Thank you for the encouragement. I must admit that I'm beginning to get nervous. Not back out nervous, but "I'm about to electively go through surgery" nervous. I can't wait, like you to come out on the other side!

We're starting at about the same weight and going through it at the same time so it would be great to keep in touch! How long were you at the hospital? I'll bet that Friday feels like a lifetime ago now, huh? Do you work and if so, how long before you go back?

I hope that for you... it's all easy from here!

I have to say I had thoughts of backing out too. Although mine were more mental issues. Like how am I going to survive with out my security blanket of food. No that I am through surgery I have a much better attitude about it all. :)

Hi Sydney. Yes, I keep thinking about that too. I almost felt a little panicky (and I am SO not panicky) when I started my liquid diet, like "I'm going through this stressful, life changing event, and I can't turn to food to comfort me" You know? Like you said, it's our security blanket. No more!

I'm glad that you already feel better about it. I can't help but think that the change in your physical stomach, along with the side effects, will help with that mental change.

When did you have your surgery? How did it go? How long did it take before you felt well enough to do normal around the house things?

I had surgery on the evening of the 13th and came home the evening of the 14th. I feel pretty darn good. I only took 2 doses of pain meds when I got home and have been fine since. I could probably head back to work tomorrow but will wait until Wednesday. My gas pains are pretty much gone at this point and I am fighting to get all my liquids in, cause I don't feel hungry. :) Oh, and my stomach is making CRAZY sounds.

So how do you feel about the whole experience? Are you excited? I'll bet that feeling better makes you more enthusiastic. One day at a time at this point though, right? I'll bet it feels incredible to not be hungry! I'm happy for you that you are feeling good.

I hear once the swelling goes down, that feeling changes. I am feeling pretty good about it now. I am anxious to see results and experience the journey, when are you being banded?

How are all my may10-14th bandsters??!!!

5 days post-op and for the first time, I can truly say...I feel GREAT!

I hear once the swelling goes down, that feeling changes. I am feeling pretty good about it now. I am anxious to see results and experience the journey, when are you being banded?

Oh no.... probably the first time in your life you've benefited from the swelling! I get what you're saying though, you've finally made it to surgery, made it through surgery, almost through the first few days of recovery... now you want to get on with it! It's always amazing to me how fast time flies... days, weeks, months... Let's just hope for a little of that fast flying time once we're banded!

I get banded on Tuesday May 18th. I'm very excited.. and nervous. I can't wait until it's over and I'm home safely with my kids. :) Just like you!

You're so sweet?

I hope that for you... it's all easy from here!

I got to the hospital Friday around 9am- Had my surgery at 10:30, and left there just after 6pm- I could have left a little earlier, but I got nauseous, and they gave me something for it. I couldn't leave for 2 hours after that-

I have noticed that I can feel my stomach more today- I feel hungry, but full at the same time. It's weird, and I don't know how to handle it. If I don't eat (drink actually) then the feeling stays, and if I do, I feel over full even though I only drank a bit- I'm sure it will get easier as I learn what all of these feelings mean. Right now, I just don't know what my body is telling me- Regardless, I just weighed, and I am at 226 already!! I can't believe how fast it's coming off!!

I totally understand what yall are saying about the comfort of food not being there. Having the band doesn't make the urge and want to eat go away. My son had pizza for lunch, and I wanted it SO bad- It's all part of battling the addiction- It's not going to be easy, but it IS going to be worth it!!!!

I work at a kitchen of all places! LoL- Talk about torture! We cook for senior citizens, and then deliver the food to senior centers. I worked in the kitchen for 4 years, but the last year, I have been in the supply room counting out stuff for the centers. So, basically, I am locked in a room with all of the potato chips, and Little Debbie cakes I could eat! It's going to be tough to go in there and sip on broth while everyone else is eating burgers and drinking sweet tea and chocolate milk!! I could probably go back tomorrow, but I am going to wait a few more days. Just to be safe :))

Alrighty- Time for a walk- Talk to yall later :))

Maylsa,

Thanks for your comment about feeling hungry but full at the same time. I am so there. I have been fighting all day to get my fluids in and some Protein. I think I may have regurgitated at one point, but I am not sure. I am thinking this is all normal. And I keep reminding myself I had a hernia repair as well.

Sydney

I am 6 days post op and feel great. My swelling has definitely gone down because I am hungry every 3-4 hrs sometimes sooner if I don't eat something with substance. Yogurt doesn't stick for very long. Egg salad does well and refried Beans sticks a long time but kind of sits there kind of heavy. Mashed potatoes and well cooked vegetables are next on the menu.

I can now sleep on my left side where my port and hernia repair are so that is nice. I feel almost back to normal. I tried driving yesterday to the bookstore and was tired. I go back to work in two days so I need to work on that.

It does get better every day. The more you can move around I truly believe the better you will feel.

I was scared before surgery but it really was not as major a deal as I made in it my own head.