Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone's Dr NOT sew your incision shut?

Mine used some protective glue and it came off 5 days post op. It took about 6 weeks for it to fully close up (he said that's normal), but it popped open a few days ago (luckily the day before a fill appt). He said it's normal and looks fine. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this type of healing.

I also have one question about it, it it might sound stupid. I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks and wanted to know how bad saltwater (ie: sea water) would be for it.

For this surgery, I had staples, and they were kept in long enough that the incision did not pop open.

I have had, in the past, experiences like yours---and everything healed up just fine.

It is disconcerting, though, isn't it?

I had 3 very loose stitches on the larger incision that came out on their own about 5 days after surgery. The smaller ones were just glued.

Windus

I have no stitches either. Nothing has popped open though...

I had surgical glue too. I had a bit of trouble with one site (infection and popped open 2x). It's healing well though, not worried at all about it. Scars don't scare me:wink2:. As far as the salt Water, I would just cover it if you aren't sure. A good large bandaid or waterproof gauze pad of some sort should do!! Enjoy your vacation!!:)

No stitches. Must say, he did and awesome job. The scars are really minimal~

I am not sure about the sea Water but I can tell you I had an open wound and went swimming in a salt Water pool. The worst infection I ever had. 3 weeks in the hospital. The beach water is really filthy if you think about it. I would def ask your doctor about that idea.

:)

Edited by angermom

Hello! I was banded April 30th 2010 and my doctor used Dermabond glue....it is STILL there....itches like CRAZY, but still there.....they used a good amount!

I have glue, steri strips and a large clear Water proof with a large waterproof bandage covering all of the above and I was told to leave them all on until they came off naturally.

My doc used glue also. As far as salt Water, I wouldn't chance it. I wouldn't want my vacation to be memorable because I got an infection that caused me problems.

Whether you swim or not, have a great vacation.

Hi I was banded on 3/16 my doc used staples but I wish that I was given a choice because this was very painful to me. As far as scars I'm not worried about those either. I do have a LOL about scars. I have a male friend that said to me after he saw my 5 scars, 'You will never be able to wear a bikini becuz of those scars'. Well my reply to him was I started out at 336 lbs when I drop a 100lbs & get in a bikini Yeah let those scars be my problem!!! I've been 300lbs so long and this idiot thinks I'm worried about sum freakin scars, me personally I will wear mine like a badge of Courage!!!!

Banded 3/16. 336 lbs

Today 5/07. 308 lbs

Same thing for me.

I'm told to wait six weeks to submerge in Water by my surgeon - includes bathing and swimming. No special instructions for sea Water.< /p>

I have no stitches either. Nothing has popped open though...

Edited by Katy517

Besides, what if there is a small leak/hole and you sink to the bottom of the sea?

hahahhaha!

Call the doc's office. I am sure that they have been asked that lots of times!

Have a blast on vacation~

Hi I was banded on 3/16 my doc used staples but I wish that I was given a choice because this was very painful to me. As far as scars I'm not worried about those either. I do have a LOL about scars. I have a male friend that said to me after he saw my 5 scars, 'You will never be able to wear a bikini becuz of those scars'. Well my reply to him was I started out at 336 lbs when I drop a 100lbs & get in a bikini Yeah let those scars be my problem!!! I've been 300lbs so long and this idiot thinks I'm worried about sum freakin scars, me personally I will wear mine like a badge of Courage!!!!

Banded 3/16. 336 lbs

Today 5/07. 308 lbs

Me too! In fact, I show my scars to everyone. I am pround of them and my 37 pound weight loss in 2 months!!!!!!!!!

My surgeon used Dermabond and I loved it! The 4 little ones are barely there, and the port incision isnt that big maybe an inch. I liked the fact that they used Dermabond rather then staples or stitches. It took about 2 weeks for my bond to come off, and that was it I had no problems I washed with Anti-bacterial soap everytime I showered .

I, too, was glued shut - had one open up and get slightly infected, but some thorough attention closed it up pretty quickly. I ended up buying some butterfly bandages and holding it shut while it healed to give the new skin some time to get established.

RE: the saltwater...while I know we are not horses, when I was a kid, we'd always take the horses to the beach and walk them in the Water if they had any kind of infection on their legs (and they healed quickly and with less scaring). My father INSISTED on gargling with salt Water for a sore throat (and it really did help). When I had an infection in my finger, the doctor told me to soak it in hot salt water to draw out the infection. Salt water is nothing but good for healing wounds (though I admit it CAN sting a bit)...it's the nasties in the water you need to be careful of - if you are going to a place where the water is pretty clean, I would encourage you to get in the water:thumbup:!

Of course, MY only PhD is in BS, so I can only recommend what I would do. :confused:

Edited by building_a_new_temple