Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Eval - What are they looking for?

Just wondering...what do they ask, and what do they want to hear?? :thumbup:

They ask basic questions to ensure you are ready for the life changing surgery.

I wouldn't worry about the "what do they want to hear" part of the question. Speak the truth about everything so you are going into this with "eyes wide open."

It isn't a quiz or anything, but it is a life changing surgery and they need to make sure you are ready for the challenge. I've never heard of anyone being turned down because of a bad pshych eval..but that's just me

My psychologist made it clear she wasn't there to have me turned down for surgery. She just wanted to help the team get to know me. I was totally honest with her. Don't stress about it- just be honest during the eval. You will be fine.

I didn't have a psych eval, but it makes sense to me for them to look for and ask about the mental part of losing weight. It is a big issue for some so I am sure they will touch on that at least a little.... I agree it will be fine!!!

I had to feel out a lot of surveys--then he talked about all the changes and life adjustments that would come and to be prepared mentally for those changes. You will be fine--they really are not there to get you turned down--it is more for your preparation if anything!

I actually had a friend that was turned down for gastric bypass surgery about 2 years ago. After further talking to her I found out that it probably had a lot to do with her 1) smoking 2) drinking and 3) not being medicated for an adequate amount of time for her recent bi-polar diagnosis.

She was on a time crunch because she was about to be booted off of her father's insurance and wanted to rush the surgery. I think if she had been sober from smoking and drinking for about 6 months and on a steady regiment of medication for her bi-polar disorder she would have been okayed for surgery.

I'm almost certain the bi-polar issue was the deciding factor in your friend being rejected. From what the psychiatrist that questioned me said, they are looking to weed out anyone that wouldn't or couldn't accept the responsibilities of the surgery and new lifestyle. Basically, so it wouldn't be a waste of the insurance company's money to put someone on such a drastic course.

I've known a few people who were diagnosed as bi-polar and some are very grounded, provided they take their meds. But for those that do not, expecting them to adhere to their nutritional needs is just too much. If they aren't responsible enough to take their meds, how responsible will they be to eat right, exercise, and follow the rules?

They're looking for gross psychopathologies that would prevent you from being compliant with the postop way of life. (Things that would prevent you from, for example, remembering your Fluid needs, or that you need to eat slowly and in small volume.) They also assess for eating disorders, because they can be tremendously aggravated by bariatric surgery, and need to be addressed. (This is not to say that people with a history of eating disorder can't have surgery---just that it raises red flags and suggests a need for therapy before and/or in conjunction with surgery.)

That sort of thing.

It's a PITA, but it isn't something to worry much about.

Tyler,

This may be so, but I have read several accounts of people diagnosed with BPD that are on meds that were okayed for the surgery. I really think what it comes down to is person as a whole, not just one reason specifically.

Rachel :laugh:

Tyler,

This may be so, but I have read several accounts of people diagnosed with BPD that are on meds that were okayed for the surgery.

I completely agree. My point was that your friend was not (as you stated) "on a steady regiment of medication for her bi-polar disorder." I did not intend to insinuate that your friend wasn't taking the meds diagnosed or that bi-polar disorder automatically disqualifies you. But (and this is just a guess on my part) I think they want candidates with a verified record of being on the proper meds for a significant amount of time so the surgery will benefit them most. Laparoscopic surgery may have a great success rate but it's still major surgery and the benefits should outweigh the risks.

I also agree with Betsy that they are also looking for behavioral patterns like compulsive overeating, bingeing, and things like hiding food. My guess would be those with more issues would require therapy before surgery or in conjunction with it. However, I'm not at all suggesting the band cannot benefit people of any diagnosis, provided they are given the proper support and healthcare.

I misunderstood you, and I completely agree with you. I don't think she was ready for the surgery at all. The sad thing is she gained about 30lbs just to have the surgery and cannot lose it. I feel bad for her, but i really think she needs to focus on herself before she goes and gets a life-changing surgery.

Her mother had great success with the gastric bypass and I think she wanted to achieve the same happiness that her mother has. I think she mos def has other issues to conquer before she tackles the weight issue right now. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding! :laugh: