Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm three weeks post-op and my port is still protruding a lot. I had some significant bruising from internal bleeding initially that's for the most part gone now. The port still sticks out though and feels like a large hard lump just under the skin.

It's still really uncomfortable too. I can't bend over without significant discomfort and sitting in one position for too long is also really uncomfortable in the port area.

I saw my surgeon today and he says that it should alleviate. He actually said that he wasn't worried about it. I've not seen anything here or elsewhere to suggest that this is normal.

Is it?

Thank you.

Hi! Actually, my port "stuck out" for several months post-operatively. I too was worried, I thought, if I lose all this weight and I have this port bulging out of my side, it's going to look ridiculous. BUT, after about 4 months, it really seemed to get better. Now that I'm 10 months post-op it can't be seen at all.

I'm sure it will get better. :bored:

Thank you for the reply Tish. Did yours hurt a lot too? Mine throbs almost all the time and even wakes me up at night. All my surgeon recommended was to continue using ice packs and liquid Motrin.

Logic tells me that if it sticks out now it is going to be even worse when I lose weight as it almost feels like it's attached to the outside of my ribcage.

I actually have the exact opposite. My port is actually really tricky to locate, unless I am laying down. When I have my fills ( I have had 2 so far), They have to position the needle on an angle to get it in the port. It is not the most comfortable and I usually have some bruising and port pain afterward.

I am about 10 weeks post op and recently they had to go back and open my port area because it had flipped. so I am soar again, but as the weeks go by sometimes I can feel easily sometimes it is hard to locate. It just takes time to heal.

That's what I read so much of here is in regard to difficult to locate ports. I could inject my own saline at this point as mine sticks out a good 1/2". My surgeon said yesterday that it "is pressing against something" and that "something" feels like my rib cage. I can't imagine that this is going to resolve itself, but I'm trying to stay positive.

I honestly looked like I had a kitten under my skin for a long time! There was this huge mass (about the size of a kitten), and I just kept thinking "Oh God I'm deformed!!" It went away, and just like another poster, my port is actually deep and takes some digging when I go for fills.

LOL Stacie, I hope it wasn't the kitten in your avatar!

Do you recall how long your port stuck out?

Thanks for lightening my mood. I have been very worried.

I honestly looked like I had a kitten under my skin for a long time!

My port sticks out horribly. It's been 2.5 years and I can't bear to have people see it. It's hard under my skin and my kids can feel it when they hug me. sigh...

Has it been that way since surgery? What did your surgeon say about it?

My port sticks out horribly. It's been 2.5 years and I can't bear to have people see it. It's hard under my skin and my kids can feel it when they hug me. sigh...

He says some are different than others. Mine appears bruised all the time I think. It really grosses my kids out. Mine is on my side, where is yours?

Mine is below my left breast at the bottom of my rib cage. Is yours still painful? Mine is and especially hurts when I bend over.

He says some are different than others. Mine appears bruised all the time I think. It really grosses my kids out. Mine is on my side, where is yours?

My port is actually on my side on the right. My biggest problem is from the car seatbelt rubbing it when I'm driving. I have an ugly scar there as well. When I had lost 50lbs, it really protruded out. It's embarrassing. It looks like a tumor.

Sounds horrible Sandy. Mine looks like a tumor too. Really creepy, but the worst part is the pain. Thanks again for the details. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. If this doesn't get better and my surgeon doesn't start taking it seriously, I'll be getting a 2nd opinion.

My port is actually on my side on the right. My biggest problem is from the car seatbelt rubbing it when I'm driving. I have an ugly scar there as well. When I had lost 50lbs, it really protruded out. It's embarrassing. It looks like a tumor.

I just returned from my 4th post-op doctor's visit with my surgeon to address my port pain and discomfort. It's still pretty swollen even now almost 5 weeks post-op. The other reason for my visit was to (hopefully) be approved to swim and bathe again.

My doctor examined the port area and determined that there was a suture under the skin causing at least part of my problem. He 'operated' on it right there with no real preparation at all and basically got under the skin, found the offending suture, removed it and caused a great deal of bleeding. He said that much of that blood looked to be old and the result of the suspected original post-op hematoma. It hurt a lot, but once he finished and bandaged me up the pain had subsided.

He's hopeful that this will resolve the port problems that I've been experiencing. Unfortunately, opening it up today even just a little bit means no swimming until at least my next follow-up on 6/9.