Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

this just isn't working for me

I had my lap band in june 2008. I lost 40 pounds right away after surgery mainly because of the liquid diet. then I had a few bad experiences with overfills. now my band is really really tight in the morning and it feels looser as the day goes by. I get so tired of having everything get stuck or gurgle its way down like a clogged drain. the only things that really go down ok are Cookies and cakes and ice cream. some days I mess up and some I dont, but I exercize at least 4 days a week at the gym and I am even taking diet pills again. this is unreal. I guess i'm just not meant to be thin.

The only thing that goes down is Cookies, cake and ice cream? If you can get that down why not Protein Shakes, Soup, eggs, yogurt? You said I guess you were not meant to be thin, however having a defeating attitude and not eating the right things, is not helping. However it is not too late to get back on track.

I had my LAP-BAND® in june 2008. I lost 40 pounds right away after surgery mainly because of the liquid diet. then I had a few bad experiences with overfills. now my band is really really tight in the morning and it feels looser as the day goes by. I get so tired of having everything get stuck or gurgle its way down like a clogged drain. the only things that really go down ok are Cookies and cakes and ice cream. some days I mess up and some I dont, but I exercize at least 4 days a week at the gym and I am even taking diet pills again. this is unreal. I guess i'm just not meant to be thin.

DON'T GIVE UP!!! I haven't lost much either and was banded a month after you. If you are too tight then go to your dr and get a small unfill. Get off the diet pills!!!! They may be changing how your body is reacting to food and making it more difficult to eat. Drink shakes, they will go down just as easy as the slider foods you are eating. Try pudding with Protein powder mixed in, or cream of chicken Soup. Puree it if the little bits of chicken are bothering you. Kick the exercise up by 10 minutes a day, then increase it again in 2 weeks, This is what I'm trying right now. You CAN do this!!! You chose the band knowing that it would be hard work, you believed in yourself then, do it again!!!!! You are wise to be on the boards here asking for encouragement and help. There are many people who can help!! PM me if you want to chat more about it. Just don't give up!

I feel the same way that you do and have lost 50 lbs since 10/08. I was filled under flouro and was told that would probobly be the last time I would have to get filled. Well 5 days later I was back at the Dr. office getting a complete unfill because I couldn't swallow anything. I am as frustrated as you! Now I am back at square 1 and this stupid band thing is bringing me down! The new bandsters don't have a clue what we have been through. I have been seriously thinking about taking the band out and having the sleeve done, if my insurance will pay for it! Keep your chin up, get a slight unfil, because if you don't your stomach can errode, and take an acid reducer until then. Good luck!!!

I called my surgeon a few days ago because I was having some issues. He told me it's not uncommon for the stomach/band area to swell first thing in the morning, and to try drinking some warm herbal tea. I understand icecream going down easier than, say, Cereal, but Cookies and cake shouldn't easily go down if that's the problem you're having. I know it's probably a comfort food, which makes it a lot easier to get down than, say, brussel sprouts. If the band is too tight right now, why not ask for a partial unfill?

If Cookies and cake go down, so can yogurt, lowfat cottage cheese, Beans, Protein shakes, tender steamed veggies, and any number of healthier options.

An incorrectly adjusted band certainly can make it difficult for some of the "good stuff" to go down---but an improperly adjusted mindset is often just as big an obstacle to weight loss. I suspect it's at least a factor in your long-term stall.

If you really are so tight that you can't get dense Protein and veggies down, then a slight unfill may actually jumpstart your loss.

It's really important to give yourself the best odds for successful loss; the first step is working with your doctor to achieve the right level of restriction.

Then, the ball's in your court. The band can't make food choices for you. And it can't make sure that your eating behaviors are compatible with the band--that you're eating slowly, chewing well, and so on.

Be sure you're doing your part.

Well....yes, but I struggle mightily with Soup, its one food I love and eat (because home made, its so healthy!) but it's a go slow food for me, pb's are highly likely with soup. Cake goes down no problem though. And you know what? I cant eat yogurt for the life of me, I pb every single time. Its not a given that because you can eat cake, you can eat x, y z.

But the general point is spot on, you dont NEED to choose Cookies and cakes, there are other healthier less difficult foods you can eat.

However, I do agree, when someone ends up eating these slider foods, its generally a good indication that they're too tight. You should be able to fill up on healthier foods.