Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who is having surgery this week (May 3-7)

Think we're all in the same boat there - but let's just take it one day at a time. I know I have a gel stool softener to take and it kind of freaks me out. So just talked to the nurse and she says take it with hot tea. Thinks most important right now is to stay hydrated.

K.

I had my surgery Friday. I'M BANDED YEA!!!

It was quite a day...

I had surgery at 9:30 AM but I didn't get released to come home until 8:30. The nurses were debating whether to keep me overnight or not because I just couldn't get the pain under control. DH was supposed to be to work at 9:30 and I didn't have anyone for my 12 yr old to stay with and he was home alone so I had to just suck it up and come home. DH went to get my RX filled while I was still at the hospital which saved some time, or so we thought.

We got home and DH helped me get a comfy nightgown on and was setting up my meds and tissues on the end table when we realized that one of the meds was a PILL...ARGHHH!!! So, DH had to run back into town, 20 minutes one way, to get the RX fixed. Almost an hour and a half later he finally gets back. And he tells me that he has to call the insurance company in the morning....and he's in the mood for guessing games...pissed me off big time!! I finally just told him to tell me what the hell happened. Evidentally on the way back he hit 2 'big' dogs that ran out in front of him. The front end of my new car is gone! DH had to get to work so my oldest son went to see if he could find the dogs or the owners. He couldn't find them.

About 5:30 in the morning my son comes upstairs and tells me he'll be back in a few minutes because he has to go pick up my husband...WTF??? Evidentally he was at work (night receiving at Home Depot) and his knee went out on him AGAIN. He was taken by ambulance to the hospital and had to be given IV pain meds so they could put his knee back in. And he never even called me...said he didn't want me to worry because there was nothing I could do and I can't drive. He's scheduled for surgery June 7th to replace his ACL and put his knee cap back where it's supposed to be.

So....DH is off work until Monday when he can get into the doctor to be released for work. I go back to work on Tuesday.

I feel so bad for the dogs, we tried to find them and my son even went back the next day in the daylight but didn't see anything.

So...it's been an eventful week so far. I'm feeling a little better....went almost 12 hours without pain meds last night! DH has gone to take his last final for this semester...his knee looks like a soccer ball.

So far I've just been drinking Life Water and eating a little jell-o and popsicles. I might try some broth tonight.

I hope everyone else has had a less eventful week LOL

Looking forward to this awesome new life!!

Had my surgery yesterday (5/6/10). Everthing went well. I don't remember anything--just being rolled into the OR and waking up in recovery. I also had a hernia repair--I did not even know I had a hernia. Experienced that awful gas pain in the shoulder yesterday, bit it is much better today. I am trying to keep hydrated--drinking Water, eating sugar free popsicles, Jello and had a little amount of beef broth. Today I ate about an ounce of a banana. I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow morning.

I can't believe I am banded!!!! So glad that my surgery went well. The doctor said he was pleased with my pre-op diet....I lost 9 pounds during the pre-op diet--Yippee!!!:)

I do not know how some of you went straight home after your surgery. I was banded on May 5th and didn't get sent home until May 7th. I couldn't believe how much pain I was in that first day. It was the worst gas pain ever all in my abdomin. I didn't have any pain with the incision spots at all. Then on May 6th they took me off the morphine and put me on oxycodone. Which made me itch like crazy and I think it made me nausous. Since I was nausous they made me stay another night in the hospital. Finally on May 7th I was sent home.

Now that I'm home I feel much better. Today I didn't even touch my pain meds and I've been up for 2 hours and went for a walk around my block. I'm actaully starting to get a little tired though so I'm going to go upstairs and rest now.

Yesterday was the first day I measured my intake and I was able to get in 73g of Protein and 68oz of liquid. So far so good.

Take care everyone,

Mel

I do not know how some of you went straight home after your surgery. I was banded on May 5th and didn't get sent home until May 7th. I couldn't believe how much pain I was in that first day. It was the worst gas pain ever all in my abdomin. I didn't have any pain with the incision spots at all. Then on May 6th they took me off the morphine and put me on oxycodone. Which made me itch like crazy and I think it made me nausous. Since I was nausous they made me stay another night in the hospital. Finally on May 7th I was sent home.

Now that I'm home I feel much better. Today I didn't even touch my pain meds and I've been up for 2 hours and went for a walk around my block. I'm actaully starting to get a little tired though so I'm going to go upstairs and rest now.

Yesterday was the first day I measured my intake and I was able to get in 73g of Protein and 68oz of liquid. So far so good.

Take care everyone,

Mel

Mel,

Sounds like you had a rough start, but glad to hear that you are doing well now! I had the horrible gas pains too, the second day was the worst. I walked over a mile yesterday trying to get that gas moving! Your intake is awesome...I have not been able to get as much liquids down as I should, but I think the gas is pushing against my stomach and making it hard to get much down.

1st off, Happy Mothers day to all of you on your special day!

I was feeling GREAT today, went to church, and took the wife out for a nice family mothers day lunch. Had a nice broth and Water for lunch, was awesome! And so we went and ran errands, still feeling strong today.....when I sneezed. MAN, did this open a gas pocket or something in my chest!!! I felt a small pulsation and the pain started moving up my left side to my left arm and felt like it was jumping from side to side. Then the pain started to kick in.....oh boy, told my honey she was gonna have to drive and it was over. The pain got worse and worse and as soon as I got in the driveway, the nausea kicked in? WTH? where did that come from? havent had that in days!!!! So, nothing a little nausea medication and nap couldnt take care of. BUT MAN did I get chopped down like a tree! It was like a small sneeze freed up a gas bubble hiding in my chest somewhere. And man, did it take me down. Wish my mommy was here! :confused:

All better now. But dont worry, I can still feel the gas playing around inside me. BUT I WILL BEAT THIS!

Hello all, I had my surgery on Friday May 7. Ins required a 23hr observation so I spent one night in the hospital and I am glad that I did. That morphine drip overnight was a God send. This pain medicine that I was sent home with just barely cuts it. I have to really stay on top if it and take a dose every 4 hrs. Since I have been home on Saturday I am pretty sore and tender all over my belly, and can see the swelling, I have 5 incisions. getting up and down out of the bed or couch is the hardest, it feels like it is pulling on my tummy. ouch! I was able to take a shower Sunday morning and remove the outer bandages, but left on the steri-strips. I will call this morning to make my post-op visit. I have been very thirsty since surgery but not hungary. Sunday was a family lunch for mother's day and it was hard seeing all that food! Everything just looked so good, I wanted a taste of everything, but I refrained and tried to sip on a Protein Drink and some broth, but it made me uncomfortable so I quit, went back to my Water. I have had water by my side non-stop. Just now starting to pass some gas, and have been taking gasx, the gas pains have not been bad at all. I am ready for the soreness to go away, supposed to be back at work on Wed. Hmmm we will see.

I was banded on the 4th! Tomorrow is my one-week anniversary. So far so good. Hope everyone scheduoled for last week is feeling well. Let's keep each other posted!

I was banded on May 5th, and feel pretty good other than being a little sore and a lot tired. Went back to work today, so that probably had something to do with it. I'm on liquids until Thursday and then can start mushies. Not going to weigh myself until Wednesday am - exactly one week Post Op. Curious to see what the numbers are. Fingers crossed.

Katie

hey guys how is everyone doing!!!

Its mushies for most of us... I just wanted to see how everyone was onthis stage.

I gained .5lbs so far on this stage and I am very discouraged :)

I need HELP! I have read in other threads that this is normal.. but I feel like such a failure :)

hey guys how is everyone doing!!!

Its mushies for most of us... I just wanted to see how everyone was onthis stage.

I gained .5lbs so far on this stage and I am very discouraged :thumbup:

I need HELP! I have read in other threads that this is normal.. but I feel like such a failure :rolleyes:

I'm right there with you. The first week I lost ~11 lbs. As of this morning I've only lost 0.4 lbs this week. One minute I get a little bummed, then I remember I want the weight to come off slowly. Also our bands aren't even "turned on" yet. We'll see a big loss that first week and it will slow down again.

I'm only a few days away from soft foods! I can't wait! I've been living off nothing but Protein shakes, Water, and popsicles because broths gross me out so much. My doctor says my progress is going super well. I've already lost weight in the double digits. I started going to the gym today. I can't believe I was able to do 20 mins, but it did kick my butt. Now if I could only wake up at 6:30 to go to the gym before work every morning!

Good luck to everyone!

I'm only a few days away from soft foods! I can't wait! I've been living off nothing but Protein shakes, Water, and popsicles because broths gross me out so much. My doctor says my progress is going super well. I've already lost weight in the double digits. I started going to the gym today. I can't believe I was able to do 20 mins, but it did kick my butt. Now if I could only wake up at 6:30 to go to the gym before work every morning!

Good luck to everyone!

You already got approval to go to the gym. My doc says one month. I'm getting antsy, but cetainly don't want to jeopardize anything so I continue to walk and will wait the month.:thumbup:

You already got approval to go to the gym. My doc says one month. I'm getting antsy, but cetainly don't want to jeopardize anything so I continue to walk and will wait the month.:thumbup:

Yes, just no weights until a month post-surgery.

I'm doing walks around the block with DH. Still on full liquids until Wednesday, officially.

I had to jump up to mashed potatoes this weekend as we were out of town and it was late and the restaurant we went to didn't have any Soup left. So I ordered the mashed potatoes and made them really soupy with gravy. It didn't even taste as good as I thought it would. I'm back to full liquids today. I really want some tuna salad so Wednesday can't come soon enough.

The gas pains in my shoulder are gone and I'm able to sleep in my own bed again.

Things are going as well as can be expected I guess.

I can't wait to be able to eat a salad!!! :thumbup: