Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dec. 5th surgery date

Hello Girls (and guys)

I am excited/nervous about my upcoming surgery. But ~ I have lost the support of my friends because another of our crew had a gastric bypass procedure mid-October. She was in the hospital for almost two weeks with every complication known to this type of surgery - leaking, dissection of the pouch and intestine, latex and penicillin allergies (no one knew), had an asthma attack, ended up with sepsis(sp?), then went into heart and kidney failure. She passed away two days before Halloween. It has only been a couple of weeks, so I am very sad and worried about the reaction of others (lots of talking about vanity issues, is it worth leaving family and friends behind just to look good, blah blah blah, lots of worrying about my personal outcome, and TONS of wondering if that was a sign that maybe I should not do this!) I realize that lapband and bypass are worlds apart, but no one else is even willing to listen to me. I am not doing this just to look good! Sure, I am excited about being able to actually snap my pants, but I am more excited about getting on the floor with my kids without my legs falling alseep immediately! My husband supports me 1000% as does my oldest child, but no other friends or family members. I am not going to the same Doc, or even the same hospital. I won't need any physical help from them, but I do need their mental support during this. Any ideas for me?

Also, please help me out with what to expect before/during/after the procedure. How long will I need help around the house? What are some restrictions that you have encountered? Any strange surgery issues? When can I resume exercise? Should I try liquids for a few days before the procedure? You can probably tell by my questions that I haven't had my pre-surgery visit with my Doc (Dec. 1st - so close to surgery day, but I want to start preparing now!!)

Thanks for listening to me!! I am hoping to make a new group of supportive friends on here (I hope my other friends come around as well!)

~Cheri

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend...

All I can say is that I knew someone that died of the same complications and I still went thru with my band. Today is exactly one week since my surgery and I feel great. The Dr. said no lifting for 30 days... but I have been holding my 20 pound baby and doing just fine. I would not tell anybody about it if you are worried about them saying stuff. Only my husband, mom and mother in law know about me and that is only because I needed a little help with the baby. Well, I take it back... some folks at work know about it, but they have had it done. If you want to be healthy and YOU are ready for surgery I think you should do it. That is great that your husband is supportive. Gastric bypass is a completely different story from banding, just as you said.

Good Luck and let us know.

By the way from what I have read all Dr.'s are different with diets. I was on a low carb (that I didn't follow) before surgery. After surgery I had 48 hours of liquids and now I am on mushies for 4 weeks. No PROBLEM. I am doing EXACTLY as my Dr. says. I have already lost 17 pounds!!! (yep, in 1 week)

Congrats on your band date Cheri. I am sorry that you lost your friend from GBP. I can only talk about my experience with my surgery and lapband. I personally wouldn't have done anything else. I went in at 8:30 for my surgery and was home by 1:30. I took 3 pain pills over a span of 3 days and never had any real issues with gas. That is usually not typical though.

My surgery happened on Friday and I was back at work by the next Wednesday. I was tired, but managed to make it through the day. Everyday got better, but the liquid phase is a real pain in the keaster, but don't push it because your band and stoma need that healing time. I haven't had any complications so far related to my band. I wish you all the best with your surgery.

Hey Cheri,

im really sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

i just got banded 2 days ago and am feeling a bit sore but apart from that im good.

goodluck for your date and i hope it all goes well!!

i didnt have to go on a pre op diet, so u might wanna ask your surgeon about that.

Hi Cheri,

Ditto's, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, gee that is reallllly sad :D

One thing you must remind your family and friends is that you are not doing it to look good, you are doing this for your health. My BP was 150 / 98 and getting worse. I had to keep reminding my Mom of this. Its been a life long struggle for me and if no one understood then the heck with them.

Every doctor is different some require a 2 week pre op liquid diet, others don't. My doctor said eat and enjoy and thats what I did. I was on Clear Liquids 2 weeks after surgery which was a bugger. Other doctors only make their patience go on liquids for a few days after surgery...so you see its all different. You need to talk to your doctor. I'm surprised he hasn't told you what to do by now.

I am not allowed to lift anything like laundry for example for at least 6 weeks. Same with exercise, none until after 8 weeks. But then I don't get a fill for over 2 months where others will get a fill at 6 weeks. I would say you'll need the first two weeks for your family really to help you out. Just follow doc's orders and you'll be fine.

Welcome Cheri, and congrats on the positive decision you have made for yourself! Like NJ Chick said this is not just to look better, it is to BE better and to have a better quality of life for you AND your kids. As already mentioned, every Dr had different reccomendations regarding diet. I had some good advice before my surgery and that was (for the last 2 weeks) live as if I was banded -- I walked alot, drank tons of Water, gave up caffeine and soda, and aside from a few "last suppers" ate a soft, bland diet (eggs, cream of wheat, yogurt, cottage cheese etc). It helped me get ready both physically as well as mentally for the changes that were to come. That way when my surgery rolled around I wasn't in for such a huge culture shock at the same time as trying to heal and deal with all the emotional changes going on. Everyone's recovery is different. I am in shock to hear about people going home from hospital the same day -- I stayed most of 2 days after. I also took a week off work, and if I worked full time would have had to take more as I needed to nap in the afternoon for several weeks after. Surgery affects everyone differently and I wish you a great recovery. As far as needing help around the house I say if you have people offering -- take it!! It can only help you recover faster, the less you HAVE to do! Best wishes!

Wow!!! You guys are the best! I have been reading and reading for days, but was a little afraid to post (:D call me silly!). Now I will not be afraid to open up!!! I am so excited about my surgery (can you actually be excited about surgery?!?!?!) I am ready for a new life, not that this one stinks or anything, but I can't wait to be able to get down on the floor with my kids!

I have help coming for the week following surgery (family lives over 500 miles away) and 1 friend willing to help as well. My kids are little, but the older two can pretty much handle themselves (I hope!!) My biggest worry is getting my 1 year old out of his crib each morning and in/out of his car seat. I guess my hubby could always bring him to my bed when he leaves for work - not sure that is the greatest idea, though since he just finally got out of our bed!!!!!!

So anyway... thanks for the help! I can tell that this will be my number 1 spot for info and enouragement!! Now that you have let me in, you may have to tell me to hush sometimes!!!!:(

Thanks again!

~cheri

OK I have to say it -- don't bring your 1 year old in your bed. I am still trying to get my 4 1/2 year old twins OUT of my bed from a similar thing that happened 2 years ago!!! They were sick so I had them sleep with me now every night they come down to my room in the middle of the night and snuggle up....I love it and hate it all at once. If you have a few days help you should be able to lift your baby a little after that -- not carry him/her around but beware the co-bedding from a mom who regrets it............