Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going to a movie theater....how do you handle it?

I got thinking about all the things we do and how I would handle each situation that involves food. One thing we really like is going to a movie....we go at least a couple times a month. I love all of it...the movie, the SODA, POPCORN....you get the picture.

So, do you guys take something and smuggle it in to drink/snack on, can you have a little bit of popcorn, or do you just watch the movie without a drink or snack?

I'm not banded yet but I would like to hear how other experienced bandsters handle this situation.

Hello, I was banded on April 2nd. Funny you should ask that question. I just got back from my first Girls Night Out since my surgery. It included dinner and a great movie. We went to a local deli and I had Soup and a couple of bites of my friend's chicken salad. We walked around in a few stores for about an hour before the movie and then I sipped on a bottle of Water with Crystal Light. I will admit..I was thinking about popcorn and candy when we first got there.(Simply out of habit) but my friend was very helpful. She didn't snack. I had some sugar free candy in my purse but I never touched it. I decided that I wasn't going to sabotage the work I've done so far for an expense treat of salt and/or sugar. My advice to you is to eat before you go to the movie and get someone that supports your efforts completely.Good luck to you on this journey!!!

I bring the same big refillable Water bottle I take everywhere. I don't think they can refuse for you to bring in Water. It might depend on where you live, though. I live in Arizona where I think we actually have a law that no place can refuse for you to bring your own water.

As for the popcorn, I tried to get through the last movie we went to without popcorn. But, when my daughter asked me to hold her very small popcorn for her (which she was not eating), I broke down and ended up eating the whole thing. But, it was a very very small kids size w/no extra butter. I think I would get that again. I ate it slow and had no problems w/it. I know it is not the most healthy option, but if you are only eating a small serving and just twice a month, I think it should be OK.

I bring the same big refillable Water bottle I take everywhere. I don't think they can refuse for you to bring in Water. It might depend on where you live, though. I live in Arizona where I think we actually have a law that no place can refuse for you to bring your own water.

As for the popcorn, I tried to get through the last movie we went to without popcorn. But, when my daughter asked me to hold her very small popcorn for her (which she was not eating), I broke down and ended up eating the whole thing. But, it was a very very small kids size w/no extra butter. I think I would get that again. I ate it slow and had no problems w/it. I know it is not the most healthy option, but if you are only eating a small serving and just twice a month, I think it should be OK.

Oh YEA!! Thank you so much! I know the soda is a no-no but I was hoping someone would say they could still eat popcorn. While I know it's not exactly healthy, as a once in a while treat I am glad to know it could be possible for me to enjoy that again. I never liked the extra butter anyway. :thumbup:

<doing the happy dance>

Once in a while, I have popcorn. Real movie popped popcorn with artery filling levels of salt and brain tumour inducing chemicals that give it that wonderful flavour.

Most of the time, I have nothing in the movies.

Once in a while, I have popcorn. Real movie popped popcorn with artery filling levels of salt and brain tumour inducing chemicals that give it that wonderful flavour.

Most of the time, I have nothing in the movies.

Ditto. I also will take a drink with me.

I quite often take a drink. Most of the time I don't take food. Eating while you watch is just a habit - it may be a hard one to break but it can be done. Pick the time of the movie so that you are not hungry. I quite often go to the 10.30 am show with a friend and then we have lunch afterwards.

Just went to my first movie yesterday with my son and his friend. I brought a flavored water and was able to last the whole movie without a snack. It really wasn't hard and I LOVE movie popcorn!!

My husband and I went last night actually and saw "Date Night"... super funny by the way.

I'm only 10 days post-op, so I just had a bottle of Water... I didn't mind it at all, I just tried to keep the big goal in mind!

I take a Protein Shake or a Protein Bar. It also helps if I eat just before I go.

I just went with my hubby to see Nightmare on Elm street the other night. Friday. WE did get a small popcorn no additional toppings like butter. I only had 2 handfuls and I was great. I dont drink soda and I havent since before the band. I only had soda when I need the carbination. When I was pregnant I had to have it everymorning before I got outta bed. I use to take lots of things to the movies. I dont carrt a purse so usually has to fit in my pockets. I allow myself something like a treat.

I usually go to a theater that serves dinner. They have a cheese and fruit plate that I nibble on if I want to eat. Most times I just dont eat though.

Pre banding, I had been known to sneak in food. I carry a large purse and no one has ever questioned what was in it.

Keep in mind that once you've had a couple fills and your band is up and running, most of the time you won't feel that burning, need-to-have-it feeling.

I buy a bottle of Water and upon occasion I've brought my own popcorn (way better than theirs) or had some of someone else's. You know the deal--anything in moderation. The band really helps with that!

I haven't done it but the poster above who said to take a Protein bar and to not go in hungry definitely has the right answer. Best of luck.

p.s. I used to order a large diet coke, small popcorn, plain m&ms and twizzlers (and share about 2 twizzlers with my husband). We see a ton of movies and I used to LOVE this routine, but surprisingly, I'm totally happy just to see the movie now. I'd prefer the old way of course, but it's just not a huge deal anymore.

Once you have a few fills your taste buds change and you don't have that urge to eat all of that stuff anymore. But like someone said, don't deprive yourself of the good stuff once and awhile. This isn't a diet. This is a lifestyle change. Everything in moderation. Do not go out and eat junk all of the time but a reward for the hard work once and awhile will not set you back

I haven't had soda since August 2009. I don't really miss it at all. I do drink alot of Water and Crystal Light. I haven't had popcorn yet at the movies but I will eventually. I honestly don't have the urge for it. My suggestion as others have said, if you are going out that night, do not go out hungry. Make sure that you eat before you go out (unless of course you are going to dinner before the movies). And yes Protein bars can be smuggled into the movie theater.

Usually, even before being banded, I would take Water and bring my own Snacks. Theater food is so expensive anyway.