Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally Nervous.. 2nd thoughts

OK I am scheduled for surgery in less than 48 hours and FINALLY the nerves are kicking in. The horrible thing that I am most terrified about is being high on anesthesia laid out naked on the surgical bed (hmm body issues LOL). I am absolutely mortified at the thought of being naked in a room of people. Did anyone else feel this way? I worked at the hospital until last August and am also afraid someone I know will see me that way (like a resident or transporter)....

Of course there are a hundred other concerns bouncing around my brain... And I forgot to ask my doc if I could take Xanax today or tomorrow... UGHHH I hope I don't chicken out!

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. When I was banded, it was my first surgery ever, and I was terrified. When I got to the hospital I requested, and was given, something to "chill" me out. Let them know how you feel when you get there and they can probably give you something. Oh, and don't worry about the naked thing. It isn't something they haven't seen before. Good luck!:eek:

I definitely feel your pain my surgery is scheduled for May 3rd and I am getting really nervous now. Having a ton of second thoughts. My biggest concern is not waking up after surgery and also, once Im all banded is having stuck episodes that scares the crap out of me.:eek:

FEAR- Frig Everything And Run or Face Everything And Recover.

May I address the naked body concern?

I am an RN, and have never seen a patient's body unnecessarily exposed. You will wear a gown into the OR, and will be covered with a sheet or blanket.

When your abdomen is exposed, it will be done so in a way that the remainder of your body is covered.

I don't bring this up to minimize your fears; I understand why you have them. Rather, I want to reassure you that you will NOT be naked and exposed, either while awake or under anesthesia.

I worried about this for a while before my surgery but I got to the hospital and was like "whatever." They see bodies for a living. Like an above poster said, it's nothing they haven't seen before, and you are really very minimally exposed.

You'll be done and through it before you know it, and someone seeing you naked will be the last thing on your mind once you're there. No worries! Don't stress yourself out!

I was more annoyed after surgery when I woke up and got to my room. I was allowed to put underwear on under my gown but not a bra. That annoyed me more than anything because I had to do my walking laps around the hall without! :eek:

Thanks for the feedback... I am feeling better about the naked thing but just need my surgeon to assure me that there will be no residents in my surgery since I really can't come to terms with someone I know seeing me. I realized I will be draped as much as possible but my boobies will be flopping about ughh..

Thanks for the feedback... I am feeling better about the naked thing but just need my surgeon to assure me that there will be no residents in my surgery since I really can't come to terms with someone I know seeing me. I realized I will be draped as much as possible but my boobies will be flopping about ughh..

I feel the same way that you do about being naked! Thats what im worried about the most.. lame i know! lol

I have some similiar fears and concerns. I'm not thrilled about being exposed in my "entirety" and have thoughts about not waking up from the surgery. But I'm thinking more about the positive things that will come from this and they far outweight the negatives.

When you get there they will prob give you something to chill you out, then when they put that iv in, you'll be snoozing in no time :thumbup:

I and most of us are large people. They are aware of this and that is why we are having this done. The staff at my hospital were so supportive and polite and very aware of my concerns inthis area. As stated above, your boobies will be covered and no areas exposed but your tummy. They are doing a job and you are there in a "business" capacity to them. No one will remember what you look like or think anything of it.

As for the PBing and slimming. I am 3 months out after surgery and I have not had these episodes to any extreme. Occasionally something gets stuck, but I just breathe deppe and walk a bit or straighten up and it goes away in a minute or two. Not really painful or anything. Pay attention to the directipns your surgeon gives you and all will be fine. This is not a beauty contest and you will be so happy you did :thumbup:it!

I am nervous about the naked thing too, but got over it. My mom helped me realize that these people see everything and its no big deal to them. Sorry if this offends anyone but my biggest concern is that I will possibly be on my period my surgery day...will them let me keep my underwear on?

I am nervous about the naked thing too, but got over it. My mom helped me realize that these people see everything and its no big deal to them. Sorry if this offends anyone but my biggest concern is that I will possibly be on my period my surgery day...will them let me keep my underwear on?

From what I read they will give you underwear to put on along with a pad from them... but im sure it depends on the hospital... Im pretty sure that area will be covered if your on your period!

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if that was offensive to anyone...its just something that's been on my mind

For the same reason I put off having a pap smear for years. I am proud to say that I finally made that appointment and saw it through.

Best of luck monkeymama! I wish I was as close to my surgery date as you are. :thumbup: