Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yawns, burps and nose blowing, OH MY!

Ok... not only do I burp more since my last fill, but I YAWN when something is getting stuck! My nose runs and I cant stop yawning! Once I gack up whatever is stuck, or it finally goes down, my nose stops running and the yawning stops! Dont you think that's weird??? :eek:

Does anyone else experience this?

My nose also runs, but no yawning :eek:

Hi:

A runny nose is one of my full signals. If my nose starts to run while I'm eating I have to stop or else something comes back up.

I still love my band!

Sue

I hiccup after I eat. Every time. No matter if it's one bite or thirty, when I do that, it's time to stoppp. Usually after about 10 minutes I can eat a little more if I didn't get far the first time. It's my "you're about to get stuck" signal.

Though if my nose starts running? It's time for me to start scoping wherever I am for bathrooms. I definitely don't PB every time but that's my "you got stuck and went a bite too far" warning and sometimes it's not good...

At least we've got some signals. I feel like it's having training wheels on your bikes. I've never been a regular weight and don't really know how to eat without stuffing myself to the point of being uncomfortable. Now I do.

I get hiccups after I eat, my daughter thinks it so funny. But I think the runny nose is a weird signal. Guess you better keep ur tissues on hand. LOL!!

I think the runny nose signal is from your body producing extra fluids to "unstick" whatever it is you are eating. When my nose begins to get runny, I know it is time to stop. If I CONTINUE, I become stuck and will sometimes pb. :eek:

I am not banded yet, but my nose also begins to run went I have eaten too fast or too much! Now I know why!

So I guess the Lap Band has some weird side effects!! I was banded October 1, 2009...just 7 months ago. I had my first fill in January. I was 2cc and had not one problem. It's been easy sailing for me. I'm down 72 pounds. :scared2:

So this past Thursday, I went for my 2nd fill. Now my surgeon feels more comfortable doing the adjustments under Fluoroscopy. His Nurse Practitioner does the adjustments in the radiology dept of the hospital. She can see the band, watch you drink and see how quickly it goes down. So this isn't just a guessing game. I had the fill done, and went to 3cc. When I got back to my office I realized that I could not tolerate swallowing my own saliva. I started to throw up just to get the pressure to decrease. I had to go back and have some of the fill removed. The NP told me it was going straight through the band, nothing was restricted. I was ok until that night where I started having pain while EATING chicken BROTH!!! I went back again the next day and had more taken out. Now I'm down to 1.25 cc...less than the original amount!! And I'm still having terrible pain!! I even went to a GI doctor yesterday and had an endoscopy done. He said there is nothing wrong, no blockage and not even a "waist" because the band is not inflated enough to be restricting anything. So I'm glad there is nothing wrong, but I can't wrap my head around having pain from taking a baby sit of Water? ?? It feels like a giant air bubble trying to go down and it just plain hurts!! I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but should drinking water hurt this much??

So I guess the LAP-BAND®® has some weird side effects!! I was banded October 1, 2009...just 7 months ago. I had my first fill in January. I was 2cc and had not one problem. It's been easy sailing for me. I'm down 72 pounds. :scared2:

So this past Thursday, I went for my 2nd fill. Now my surgeon feels more comfortable doing the adjustments under Fluoroscopy. His Nurse Practitioner does the adjustments in the radiology dept of the hospital. She can see the band, watch you drink and see how quickly it goes down. So this isn't just a guessing game. I had the fill done, and went to 3cc. When I got back to my office I realized that I could not tolerate swallowing my own saliva. I started to throw up just to get the pressure to decrease. I had to go back and have some of the fill removed. The NP told me it was going straight through the band, nothing was restricted. I was ok until that night where I started having pain while EATING chicken BROTH!!! I went back again the next day and had more taken out. Now I'm down to 1.25 cc...less than the original amount!! And I'm still having terrible pain!! I even went to a GI doctor yesterday and had an endoscopy done. He said there is nothing wrong, no blockage and not even a "waist" because the band is not inflated enough to be restricting anything. So I'm glad there is nothing wrong, but I can't wrap my head around having pain from taking a baby sit of Water? ?? It feels like a giant air bubble trying to go down and it just plain hurts!! I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but should drinking water hurt this much??

Sorry to hear about your band issues. I think its odd that you are having those issues after 7 mths and with less Fluid in you still bad.:unsure: I wouldve done all of the test you had also as a precaution. So if everything is ok you maybe your stomach is just irritated from the fill and unfill. Take it easy and sip slow. This is a journey we are on, and looks like their will be bumps in the road.

Also Congrats on your weight loss.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking at this point that it might just be stress?? Things have been crazy. I'm not the type to be a hypochondriac, but pain is pain. I've gone back to square one... pureed food and baby sips. I'd like to be able to eat normal food... going out to dinner with anyone won't be happening anytime soon I guess.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking at this point that it might just be stress?? Things have been crazy. I'm not the type to be a hypochondriac, but pain is pain. I've gone back to square one... pureed food and baby sips. I'd like to be able to eat normal food... going out to dinner with anyone won't be happening anytime soon I guess.

You are probably suffering from some residual swelling brought on by that last fill. My stomach is extremely sensitive to stress and being messed with. I had restriction just from having my band put on and I have only had two small (1cc) fills in almost 2 years. You can try some Children's liquid Motirn for few days. That should bring the swelling down and give you some relief. The next time you go in for a fill, have them take it up in smaller increments. You may only be able to go up .5ccs per time at the most. Good luck, and I hope you get some relief.

Ok... not only do I burp more since my last fill, but I YAWN when something is getting stuck! My nose runs and I cant stop yawning! Once I gack up whatever is stuck, or it finally goes down, my nose stops running and the yawning stops! Dont you think that's weird??? :scared2:

Does anyone else experience this?

If my nose starts to run I have taken one bite too much. If I have a sneezing fit I have taken more than one bite too much. The hiccup comes way too late for me. There is another thread out there about these "soft signs". Here's a link to that thread : http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/ever-hear-soft-signs-111250/

Edited by Humming Bird

Yes, these are soft signs telling you that you've had enough to eat. The same thing happens to me, every time! Best wishes!!!

Well I'm glad I'm not crazy!!! I am sooo not a hypochondriac... I need to be dying to go to the doctor!! I actually drove myself to the ER last month because I was in so much pain!! So I guess my system is more sensitive than I thought. I just wasn't expecting "pain"... shouldn't it be more of a pressure feeling?? Like the feeling of being full?? So I was told if I wanted to lose weight quickly to go for a fill every 3 months... So now I'm thinking maybe I should get smaller increments like .5cc each month and see how I do from there?? Thank you for the childrens motrin idea...didn't even think of that!!! I feel like pain meds hurt my stomach and they never did before...but that should work nicely!!