Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Everybody! Just wanted to vent a little bit if you guys' don't mind. Thanks a lot... So I was banded on April 19th at 10:30am at the Journeylite Center in Cincinnati, OH by Dr. Curry. I had a huge hernia apparently, so my surgery took a little longer than expected. Of course, I have the gas pain and soreness and hunger, but more importantly, I am having trouble getting passed the mental relationship I have with food. For instance, my husband baked Cookies for the kids last night and I was pouting like a little kid because I couldn't have a damn cookie! I mean I was seriously angry, so I went up to our bedroom and stayed there the rest of the night. How pathetic? I just wish that little switch in my head could be turned off so this whole thing isn't done in vain. I have had no vomiting or anything, so I have been able to keep down the mushies I'm on right now. I've eaten scrambled eggs, cream of wheat, refried Beans, Peanut Butter, Protein Shakes of course, and I have eaten some Wheatables, I have an issue with carbs.:biggrin: I guess I just have to get passed this initial period and think about the goal at hand. Once again, thanks for listening. Have a great Saturday!

Oh yeah, you have what I called the "Nasties". It takes a while for it to pass. My good friend at work would say "eat bread" when I had them. She knew I couldn't but it was our code for me to chill. I am not the greatest success (banded 10/6/09 and only down 35 lbs.) and I believe it is because of the head/addiction to food thing. I am in therapy and am reading a lot about food addiction. I hate my band today . However, when I have these times I realize that it is anger and frustration at myself that I am at this point. I was almost 300 lbs at the start and wonder how the hell I got there. Every meal is a chance to do the right thing and work the band. Let the feelings flow. Explain to hubby that Cookies are hard to face right now, maybe you could take a walk for a family activity instead of a food centered thing. Good Luck and hang in there.,.,.,

Newme,

That could have been me writing that. I guess what I am trying to say is your not alone, I feel the exact same way. I am really trying to make the right choices, but sometimes it is so difficult, especially watching your loved ones eat your favorite foods. I know it is hard, but we can and we will do this. Hang in there!!

With restriction, you will find it's easier to pass up the "bad foods" that come into your path. I think the fact that there are temptations everywhere makes food more difficult to give up than other "drugs". I don't think it was a bad thing you removed yourself from the situation. Like already posted, talking to your husband about keeping your favorite foods away may be in order. Best wishes, you can do it!

I am a year along the journey and I still have good and bad days like you describe - and even though I read books and do workshops and try to focus on personal development, those bad days still come along. Unfortunately I know that little switch in my head is never going to go away (darn it) but I am getting better at controling it (well some days anyway).

If you want a bit of reading material to help along the way, I have really enjoyed "The Gabriel Method" by Jon Gabriel and "Women, food and God" by Geneen Roth. Found them both very helpful and try and get myself re-reading whenever I know I am in a slump - good luck.

I feel the same way. The other day we went out to dinner and my kids and husband were eating mozzerella sticks. I just put them at one end of the table and didn't look that direction--but it was really hard! I don't even really like mozzerella sticks.