Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my surgery date is set for May 5th, and i was thinking about buying a recliner to sleep on after i get my surgery,

i can sleep anywhere on the floor i can get 8hrs of great sleep, i was sleeping on an air bed for awhile (i sew alot and need the space in my room so bye bye bed) which i can no longer use after surgery cause its going to be too much hassle to get off of it,

now i have a love seat sofa bed and the matress is so thin but how the love seat is i cant sit up and sleep on it.

im the type of person that sleeps on their stomach even if i try not to i always wake up on my stomach so im scare after surgery i might roll over on my stomach.

so im thinking about getting a recliner, a certain job of mines have a really nice plush recliner and when i work night shift i can fall asleep and be soo comfortable..

i would like to know if anyone slept on a recliner post surgery or slept in their beds and who thinks which is best

I had my surgery on 4/18 and I tried to sit in a reclining chair and it was the MOST uncomfortable ever. The best thing is to get you pain meds and then find a nice bed to stretch out on. I laid on my side, because it was too painful to lay on my stomach. Don't worry, the pain will keep you in position. You'll find the position where you experience the least amount of pain and try to stay there. You'll find a way to steal little naps throughout the first two nights.

Best of luck!!

Hi I had my surgery on 3/16 and spent time in a recliner and a bed. I would say the recliner was great for the daytime hours. My mom has the one that actually raises up and down for seniors. However I fell asleep one night and my back felt horrible the next morning. Needless to say that didn't happen again.

I agree with the above post -" The best thing is to get you pain meds and then find a nice bed to stretch out on"- in the bed pain will keep u in place, even if you love sleeping on your stomach you won't make the mistake of rolling over on it. The pain won't allow you too and neither will the staples(ask for dermibond will help in recovery time).

I had my surgery on Sept 30th and it was hard for me to lie down in the bed. It was comfortable for me to lay in the recliner with a heating pad on my stomach. It took me almost a week to be able to lay down in the bed comfortably.

I had my surgery on Sept 30th and it was hard for me to lie down in the bed. It was comfortable for me to lay in the recliner with a heating pad on my stomach. It took me almost a week to be able to lay down in the bed comfortably.

Same here minus the heating pad. I would lay on the recliner slightly on my right side and that's where I stayed. I took about a week before I could lay on my bed. We bought the cushiest recliner we could find and for me, it was like sleeping on a cloud.

I am a stomach sleeper. There is no way I could have slept well in a recliner after surgery. Not being able to sleep on my stomach was a real drag the week after surgery, but I was able to use pillows and kind of prop myself on my side for the second week. After that I was back to stomach sleeping. Catherine, you are so young. You have youth on your side. Don't overthink everything. You will do great and May 5 will be here very soon!

I had surgery last Friday, April 16. The hospital kept me overnight which I was grateful for since the pain was pretty intense (imagine doing a whole lot of really intense abs or being kicked in the abs REALLY REALLY hard!). The hospital said my bed had to recline 30 degrees. I am also a stomach sleeper so this was really uncomfy for me. I barely slept the first night.

At home, I have a Tempurpedic mattress with an adjustable base, so I have been able to keep myself in a reclining position ever since surgery. When my bed is reclined (both at the hospital and here at home) I do NOT use a pillow under my head. After the night in the hospital and after initially using a pillow here at home, my neck was KILLING ME from holding it up.

Last night was the first night I could turn onto my side to sleep- and it required that I put a thick pillow between my knees to avoid some of the ab twisting that is common in side sleeping.

I can't imagine when I will be comfortable enough to sleep on my stomach.

I slept in a recliner after surgery as I have a bad back and cannot lay on my back for long. Actually I sometimes slept in a recliner before surgery too! I have a Water bed and I could get in but I would have never been able to out...lol

I slept propped up on pillows in bed for a couple of nights before I could lay flat. It was just too painful to get up and lay down again right after surgery. I was finally able to sleep on one side after about a week. It has been about 2 weeks since surgery and it still isn't comfortable to sleep on the side with the port.

I can never sleep well in a recliner. I have a Temperpedic too, which I would not trade for the world! :lol:I am a side sleeper... mainly my left side ... but not now!! I only sleep on my right side and back. At first it was just my right side. Then one night I woke up on my back, and it was very comfy, everything was relaxed, i did not even feel like I had surgery! But my left side really hurts now, cramping, pinching, ribs aching when breathing. I guess because that is the side the port is on? Not sure, but it is not fun! I miss it! I would think a recliner would be best for you... no use trying to get up off the floor!:(

I am also a stomach sleeper, that's why I went out and paid a fortune for a real nice recliner before surgery, and planned to use it as my bed for a few weeks; but that didn't work out...I woke up the first night and my butt was asleep and I had to get up. I finally ended up sleeping in bed by the end of my first night and haven't looked back. I had absolutely no pain after my surgery, so it wasn't a big deal. The only "pain" I had was when I tried to lay on my side, I could feel the weight from my stomach fat, pulling down on some of my incisions...so I grabbed a large body pillow and sort of cuddled up with it and this took the stress off my stomach and I was able to sleep very well....The second night i said screw it and slept on my stomach anyway...other than a slight "tender" feeling when I first laid down, it was fine. That went away after a few minutes and i was sleeping on my stomach from then on...

No bed? Mulder's long-lost cousin or something?

I had a futon, which was far too low for me to get out of after my surgery so I spent two weeks on the pull out couch. I'm lucky in that I'm a soldier sleeper naturally: sleep flat on my back with my hands at my sides, and I have to wake up to move from that position. After surgery sleeping position problems weren't a problem for me. Whatever you choose, don't make it too squishy or else you'll never be able to pull yourself out of bed.

If you toss and turn I recommend you invest in some body pillows to put by your sides to deter you from turning over. Ikea had them on sale for $15 each so it's not an expensive investment.

Thanks.... I over think everything but its like its just me here and I want to make sure I have everything together so I don't have call "parents" for help I just want to be comfortable as possible I'm just nervous about the day after

I am a stomach sleeper. There is no way I could have slept well in a recliner after surgery. Not being able to sleep on my stomach was a real drag the week after surgery, but I was able to use pillows and kind of prop myself on my side for the second week. After that I was back to stomach sleeping. Catherine, you are so young. You have youth on your side. Don't overthink everything. You will do great and May 5 will be here very soon!

Thanks for everyone advice. I'm going to buy a recliner a day before surgery and the next day I'm going to use it but if I don't feel right I'm just going to have my friend return it for me, I'm just worry about waking up and seeing me on my stomach and blood everywhere or whatever lol I just get worry over ever lil major thing but oh well