Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had there port flip???

I was told the other day when I went to the E.R because I was unable to keep anything down that my port has flipped. After poking at me for almost an hour they finally were able to access my port. Thank goodness. They were going to have to do a revision. I go back in 3 wks and hopefully I won't have to have any surgery. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

:smile:

My port flipped and the surgery was a piece of cake. I was up and around the next day.

Wow, this is a new one on me. How did you know it was flipped? What kind of pain did you have?

No pain at all. I found out when I went for a fill. I was so overweight for my 1st surgery that they could not find any muscle to sew my port into. As I lost weight my fat disolved leaving the port to be loose. I had a revision and had my port sewn in finally.

My port flipped also. I went in for a fill & my dr. couldn't access the port. I went in to surgery 3 days later.

I didn't have any pain at all. I wouldn't even know it had flipped had I not gone in for a fill. I went back to work the next day. It was a simple procedure. The dr went in through the port incision, restitched the port & meshed the surroundings & sewed me back up. It was 20 minute procedure he said.

The one thing I will advise you on- if you are self pay have this fixed quickly. I was self pay - the dr & hospital covered the cost since it happened so soon after surgery (less than 45 days) I'm not sure about insured patients.

I hope your port issues are resolved soon-

I'm not sure when my port "flipped". My first fill attempt was unsuccessful - couldn't access the port after going through 4 needles. (not fun, btw) My second and third fills were a challenge even under flouro. At my third fill appt, the doc injected dye to check for a leak in my tubing.(I never had much restriction and weight was yo-yoing) Sure enough, a leak - most likely from him poking around to find the port. I'm currently working with ins and the doctor figure out how to pay for the port revision.

Did you have to go under general anesthetic or just a local with sedation?

My port is tipped, not flipped. It was fine the first couple of months but then it just tipped, from losing weight. Doctor had a hard time and several needles getting it. Boy was that painful! So he put a pillow under my lower back and maneuvered enough that he could get the needle in and then remembered it when I went back last time and it was easier. Hopefully that is all he'll have to do for the future and I won't need surgery, but we'll see.

I'm only 9 days post op and the Dr thinks my port might have flipped, I am having pain and swelling in my right side, he told me to just take it easy until my first fill which is in three weeks

I am six weeks post op. I went in yesterday to have my first fill and the doc tried 5 times to access my port. They sent me for x-rays and I'm still waiting for the results. I really hope that my port didn't flip, but that is what the doc is thinking. I'm already starting to gain a couple of pounds b/c I need an adjustment. I'm a little disappointed right now b/c I'm not losing weight. I know in time it will happen. Its the waiting thing I'm not good at :laugh:

I think this is one of my biggest fears with my band!!!

how did you know it was flipped or tilted? Did the doc say is there was anyway you could hv prevented it? what are the signs?

After a very difficult and painful first fill because of a port flipped on its side, I went in today for my second fill. I was more than a little scared because of how difficult the first one was. Both fills were under fluoroscopy, but this time even with a local and lots of manipulating the doctor could not access the port. I am going to be scheduled for a revision next month.

Dr. Smith says that it is a simple surgery, but I would still like to know more about it. Hopefully someone who has had the surgery can give us the details.

Thanks,

Michelle

My port revision was really easy. I had it done under "twilight" sedation and a local. I was up and about and felt great 30 mins after the surgery. It was strange to feel him tugging and messing around, listening to the surgeon and nurses chatting it up. Interesting experience. The "twilight' was kind of fun. :unsure:

I would say the soreness-wise, it was like after the initial surgery minus the first few days. I took the heavy duty painkillers and slept in the recliner for 2 days, and then just general soreness. The most painful part was paying for it! :unsure: I had it done on a Tuesday, and I actually put in a few hours at work on Thursday and Friday.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.