Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Theme Park Thrill Rides and the Lap Band

So this question may sound really weird, but my friend/co-worker had her lap band surgery done October 12, 2009. She recently visited a theme park and went on the roller coaster that had rough turns and upside down loops. She loves roller coasters and this was her first ride on one since her surgery. When she got off the ride her stomach felt un-easy and she felt un-balanced. She has never had this feeling before after getting off a roller coaster (she has rode the above roller coaster several times pre-op). Has anyone else had something like this happen to them or know of anything that might cause this post-op? :smile:

Hi there! I'm a coaster lover too but I haven't ridden since my band surgery. I don't know of any reason this should happen because of the band surgery. It sounds more likely to me that perhaps she had an inner ear infection - or she could've been getting one. This may be a stretch but ear infections can cause your equilibrium to be off, which can cause motion sickness. I suffer from extreme motion sickness normally, so even though I love coasters, I can't ride the ones that go upside down more than once during the ride or I get sick. Years ago I made the mistake of riding the "Tomb Raider" ride at Kings Island (not knowing how it was set up) and I ran outside to be sick as soon as the lap restraint was released!

I know if she loves roller coasters that she won't give up and she shouldn't. It was probably just a fluke.

weight.png

I was on the rocknrollercoaster at disney studios one month after banding. No problems with me. Hopefully just a fluke.

The symptoms you described don't sound as though they're related to the band.

You say she'd never experienced this problem before---but our bodies do continually change. And our vestibular systems (organs involved with equilibrium) change with age, and with a variety of other things. Even congestion from allergies, this time of year, can cause temporary vestibular changes. Ear infection can, as well.

I may be wrong, but I can't see an anatomical or physiological reason why this sort of sensation might be tied to a band, except very peripherally.

For example, if she is on BP meds she no longer needs due to weight loss, or if she was avoiding park food and was hypoglycemic, then she might experience the symptoms you've described.

I hope she's feeling fine by now. In her shoes, I'd probably chalk it up to "one of those things." A coaster can affect you differently at different times.

But if she's still worried about it, giving her doctor a call won't hurt.

The band does not limit any physical activities!! Sounds like a fluke to me....

I went to Disneyland about 2 weeks after having my band surgery. I got on Space Mountain and had some discomfort with my port aread from the rough turns, but nothing that would cause me to feel dizzy or nausea. She may want to call her doctor as many others have said it could be something else not band related.

That same thing happened to me. I never experienced that before until I rode the roller coaster at Circus Circus a few weeks ago ( 4/10 got my lap band 5/09) I couldn't shake the feeling for about 20 mins. or so. I didn't have any ear issues never have my in my whole life. I dont know what the issue was.

Since banding I get sea sick, car sick, and amusement park ride sick.

I was never like this when I was younger. It has only been since I was banded. It *may* be a coincidence and something that's happened as I get older anyway or it may be band related, but I loathe getting on a boat now and I dont do amusement park rides any more.

Since banding I get sea sick, car sick, and amusement park ride sick.

I was never like this when I was younger. It has only been since I was banded. It *may* be a coincidence and something that's happened as I get older anyway or it may be band related, but I loathe getting on a boat now and I dont do amusement park rides any more.

I am in the same boat. I have only been banded 12 days, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I set foot in a car I am sick to my stomach! I dont feel it has anything to do with my age. I am a big fan of amusement park rides...and I go on cruises regularly. I hope this passes...And SOON! I hope yours goes away as well...this feeling is not nice!

I am 6 days post op and attempted to ride in the car today to go to the bank. I began to feel very car sick. By the time I got home I had a Migraine and felt dizzy. I also felt car sick on the way home from the hospital. I really hope this ends soon so I can start to drive and uhhh leave the house :(

I was on the rocknrollercoaster at disney studios one month after banding. No problems with me. Hopefully just a fluke.

Good to hear! Going to disney world in a few weeks!!

been to Knotts berry Farm and Disneyland since and got on every coaster I could get on and had no issues. Best thing about it now is actually not worrying about fitting in the damn coaster :)

Universal studios on forecast but i had hernia repair and not sure I should do the jumping around just yet. banded 15 days. as for driving, didnt feel 100% until this sunday, was spacey. but then I stayed overnight day of surgery because I didnt wake up from anesthesia. So listen to your body,,,

The first thing that came to mind as I read this was riding, driving, or getting on boats with an empty stomach. After banding, I am sure that this is much more likely to happen than in the past. I haven't experienced this since banding, but I can tell you that the times that I have experienced any kind of motion sickness has been when I had nothing in my stomach prior to the event. I don't if this was your case or not though..