Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain around sternum

I've always had an issue with an ache around (just below maybe) the sternum area. Usually after being nervous or having an upset stomach, but not something that was there all the time. Since lap band placement 3/22/10 it is always there. As I eat or drink it gets worse. It's barely there in the morning and by the evening I feel like I have been kicked. It is a constant ache. I did have a hernia repair at surgery time and I go for my 1st fill this Friday. Has anyone else had this? Because of it, I'm barely eating or drinking, yet I am not losing weight. I've read in other threads not losing weight may be from not eating enough Protein. I can't eat more because that worsens it. Can anyone help? It's making me nauseated and makes it hard to sleep. Thanks!

I have similar pain--it is a sign--I might suggest slowing down--that helps me

Slowing down what? Eating and drinking? I am still chopping food up, eating slowly, and only sipping Water. I have not gone to eating normally yet, due to the ache. Thank you!

Slowing down what? Eating and drinking? I am still chopping food up, eating slowly, and only sipping Water. I have not gone to eating normally yet, due to the ache. Thank you!

I just know I have had the pain since my first fill--like someone is squeezing my heart. It went away a day or two after my fill. It comes back when I think I have eaten too quickly, but sometimes I just wonder if it is certain foods. I noticed it gets worse if I eat too fast--I like have to eat at a snail's pace for it not to hurt--like 5min between bites (depending on the food). I am going to talk to the doctor when I go back. Right now, I just use it as a sign to really, really slow down or stop eating period because I do not like that pain! I wondering is the band pressing on something? It was just a suggestion of what helped me. I am open to suggestions myself because it really hurts.

I'll ask when I go in Friday and let you know what my doc says. Mine is lower than my heart. I'd say under the breasts right in the center. When I asked when I went back for post op, he said the hernia repair, but this seems lower. It's uncomfortable and worse at night, so it bugs my sleeping and eating, plus I am not losing weight. I eat 1 or 2 times a day and maybe 1/2 cup food at most and it's always mushy because I am too scared to eat anything else and because it gets worse when I eat and drink. I can't eat more Protein to lose weight like mentioned in the other threads if it bothers me to eat. Uggggghhhhh!

Well I went in and the staff told me it was from the hernia and and I am still healing. Then the doctor came in and says I am either eating too much, too fast, taking too big of bites or eating the wrong foods. I told him that I was eating less than a 1/2 cup of food twice a day and was still chopping everything up and following his directions to a T. He all but called me a liar! I was so upset I almost cried. I told him I had always had the pain, but it had worsened after surgery and he still kept repeating the same thing. Then he proceeded to give me a fill which hurt like heck! Then hands me a piece of paper saying I am back on liquids for 3 days then mushy food for 5. I am so sore am disgusted with him. I was told he is the best surgeon there is in my area but waiting in the reception room for 2 1/2 hours to be yelled at for something I did not do is beyond horrible bedside manner. I have never had any barium or x-rays or anything since the surgery. When I asked him about it he said he has done over 4,000 surgeries and he was the doctor, blah, blah, blah. He gave me 2 sips of Water and said if I didn't throw up, I was fine and off he went. I had to talk to the counselor after he left because I was fuming!

Well I went in and the staff told me it was from the hernia and and I am still healing. Then the doctor came in and says I am either eating too much, too fast, taking too big of bites or eating the wrong foods. I told him that I was eating less than a 1/2 cup of food twice a day and was still chopping everything up and following his directions to a T. He all but called me a liar! I was so upset I almost cried. I told him I had always had the pain, but it had worsened after surgery and he still kept repeating the same thing. Then he proceeded to give me a fill which hurt like heck! Then hands me a piece of paper saying I am back on liquids for 3 days then mushy food for 5. I am so sore am disgusted with him. I was told he is the best surgeon there is in my area but waiting in the reception room for 2 1/2 hours to be yelled at for something I did not do is beyond horrible bedside manner. I have never had any barium or x-rays or anything since the surgery. When I asked him about it he said he has done over 4,000 surgeries and he was the doctor, blah, blah, blah. He gave me 2 sips of Water and said if I didn't throw up, I was fine and off he went. I had to talk to the counselor after he left because I was fuming!

Sorry you had a hard time. I imagine how frustrating it is not to have your surgeon understand.

You are going to have to find a Dr who will listen to you. Unfortunately some Dr's hear your problems as criticism of their surgery techniques. Find someone who will do a barium swallow and check your band placement. I'm sure from your description that you are not eating enough calories to lose weight or because you are not getting your Protein. You have to be able to eat real food for the band to work. Don't give up, find someone to help you. Good luck.

I am not sure I can switch doctors due to insurance and he has always been an "in your face" kinda guy. His staff says they are working on him. I would not have gone to him had I not had so many people tell me what an awesome surgeon he is. I have not had any barium swallows or x-rays since I had the band placed. As a matter of fact I only had a chest x-ray for preop testing. After surgery they had me drink 2 cups of Water and said if I kept it down it was fine. After my fill Friday, they had me drink 2 sips of water. He is ticking me off. He acts like all of his patients are the same. I have immune system issues as well and am waiting for an appointment with mayo Clinic for further testing not to mention other gastrointestinal issues I have had all my life. He says illness is an excuse for being fat. He and I will eventually go toe to toe. Especially if he continues having us wait 2 1/2-3 hours in the reception room for appointments. I am so glad I found this forum so I have real people to compare notes with. You guys are the best!

Tammy,

I have that same pain. It started last weekend, sat. and sun. It got better, but it seems like it's starting up again. I'm going to askmy surgeon when i got may 6. I think i can wait until then as it is not as bad as last weekend. But if you find out anything, please let me know.

Let me know what your doctor says. Mine has gotten worse and if I slightly push the area, it hurts through to my back. I can't wear a bra because of the pressure it puts there. I want to go back to the doctor but after he jumped on me, I really don't think he will listen. I have barely been eating or drinking because anything I put in me, makes it worse. My surgery was 6 weeks ago, so I am starting to freak a little.

Same here guys. For me, albeit im taking tiny bites i have a tendency to quickly chew and take another bite because they're so small. A few minutes into this and my chest is in extreme pain. Take a bit chew and pause. This helps alot. Remember we are all having to relearn how to eat according to the smaller stomache.

On 4/28/2010 at 7:50 PM, TC4Wy said:

Let me know what your doctor says. Mine has gotten worse and if I slightly push the area, it hurts through to my back. I can't wear a bra because of the pressure it puts there. I want to go back to the doctor but after he jumped on me, I really don't think he will listen. I have barely been eating or drinking because anything I put in me, makes it worse. My surgery was 6 weeks ago, so I am starting to freak a little.

What did it end up being??