Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

shoulder pain - where exactly do you feel it?

I am having severe shoulder pain 17 days out from surgery. (replaced band due to prolapse- not new). I was having it right on the outer edge of the shoulder (the outer corner maybe you describe it as - where the seam of a sleeve would be). Then it moved to the back side of the shoulder but still near that "corner". Now since Monday it has been just under the edge of my shoulder blade (about the middle heightwise) near my spine in the center of my back, but still a little under the edge of the shoulderblade. Since Monday I am trying to figure out if it is muscular now - because it almost feels like it could be a knot - but I am not getting any relief from heat, ice, tylenol, massage or even the painkillers I have tried (they work the best but only dull it, it still doesn't go away and of course I don't want to take those).

My doctor gave me a small fill Wednesday to prevent any movement of my band on my stomach - which he said could cause it. It went away right when he did that but has come back. He also suggested in very rare situations tubing could be touching the diaphragm and causing referred pain - but that is not likely (I can't take another surgery so hope it's not that). He said to call if I got the pain again (will do tomorrow) and I have, but am now seriously wondering if it's just muscular or not. But it feels worse when I take a deep breath and intensifies when I am full. My Doctor also said it wouldn't still be gas, that would all be gone by this time.

I am looking for any responses as soon as possible (hoping for some before I call my DR tomorrow). Can you tell me what your pain was like, exactly where it was, how long you had it, if you got any relief from it, etc? I just want details from others. Thanks everyone!

start weight 270

surgery weight 253 on 11/17/08

prolapse and replacement surgery 3/22/10

current weight 169

goal weight 155-160

I have no idea what that could be from this far out from surgery. Have you tried stretching your shoulder? Stand in the doorway with your hands on each side of the door frame and lean into to it to stretch the front of your chest and shoulders. Then bring one arm across your body in a hug and hold it to stretch the back of your shoulder. If that doesn't help, perhaps a chiropractor??

I had a similar pain on Monday. Ironically it happened while waiting to see the Dr. for my 1 week post op visit. I was in tears the pain was so horrific. It did not phase him. He just went right on with the exam as if tears werent streaming from my eyes. He said it was probably gas. It lasted non-stop for 1 1/2 hours then came on and off sporatically for 2 days. I only feel it very slightly now -- the gas ex did not help but climbing stairs did as well as stretching it out.

I was banded 03/26/2010 and I am just at 2 weeks post op.

I had during the first week an a half off sharp pain in the very top of my left shoulder and across my mid back.

The Doctor and Nurses I spoke to about it kept saying it was probably gas from the surgery and that it will need to work itself out.

For me it does seem like it has worked itself out, I no longer am feeeling it. It seemed to feel better as my activity level increased after surgery, I think a good walk in the fresh air is what helped me the most.

Hope you feel better soon.

Edited by CJP01

I had this too and it freaked me out. I finally learned that it was vagas nerve irritation. After about 3 weeks, it miraculously went away on its own. It hurt so bad while I had it, I was thinking I might just have to get the band removed to relieve the pain. Belching also seemed to make it better for a little while. I had a lot of stuck air that was pressing on the band. The only way I could belch in the beginning was to lean forward and stay in that position for a while. Hope this helps!

I had the shoulder pain as well for about 4 weeks after surgery. I am now 5 months out and, since my 4th fill, I get the shoulder pain when I am either really full or really hungry. Very weird, but it's kind of a cool signal that I either need to eat, or need to stop eating. Everyone is different with this pain. Some have it all the time and some people never experience it. Sometimes taking really deep breaths helped me post-op.

Good Luck!:confused: