Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problem throwing away food

So I am sitting here at work eating my lunch and I am having a hard time finishing it. It is just one of those tuna lunch packs. You know the little can with the crackers and the mayo and relish already with it. Well I am full and there is still 1 cracker left and at least 2 cracker full of tuna left and I am full could not take one more bite if I wanted to. So why am I having such a hard time throwing the leftovers away? May head is telling me to eat it and not waste it and my tummy is saying don't you dare take another bite or else. Anyone else have this problem with throwing leftovers away?

Yup... But guess what - I'm over it now!! That little bit of eating this and that and everything else is what got me to 411 lbs. If you ever notice skippy girls always leave something on the plate or never take a lot in the first place. I'm thinking like a skippy girl now. Waste -what a bit of food oh well better than on my butt - wasting my life away is more costly than those bites of food. Hmm you know how much money I wasted growing in sizes for my clothes I ended up giving away or donating. But I do understand your thought process.... Changes are coming my dear it gets easier over time to not eat it or think it's a waste....... Much love an support your way!!

I do! I so understand.

People brought potluck to Easter dinner. I was able to usher most of the leftovers out the door, but desert got left. A Peanut Butter pie and a key lime pie. How cruel is that??? Everyone is aware of my surgery and how hard I am working to eat right. I didn't eat desert at dinner, so WHY leave desert at my house? I actually felt a little pissed off. So, I took my anger out on the pies. I dumped them into my sink with running Water and mushed them into the garbage disposal.

This time, I win!

One day at a time, one piece of food at a time.

Throw it away! Throw it away!

Edited by Drasan

Awesome - I'm so thrilled you had that control. Feels great huh..... I know..... It's powerful.

I wanted to add that I got into trouble with my Vet. We have a small dog and when I didn't finish my plate a few bites here and there I was feeding out Yorkie out of love - Bad, Bad, Bad idea.... She gained a half a pound and my vet said I was slowly killing her. OMG I was shocked I was doing this to her. She's only a 4 1/2 lbs dog and I was feeding her those bites.... So remember you can over love with food to others in your house hold be careful......

Hi... Yes, I throw away tons of food :-( I keep leftovers for a few days, and eat what i can, but most ends up in the trash. I'm from the Clean Plate club, so sometimes I tend to over eat. then I puke several times. Even after 16 months, i still do this sometimes. Every day is a learning experience...

Don't worry about the left over food, we were all raised by our parents to clean our plates and that is a life time of habitual over eating not realizing it and we began teaching our kids the same thing. No more!!!! It's better in the trash than on your ...well you know the rest...

It does take getting over. Another thing I do, it also helps me cut down on the amout eaten, is at work I bring some extra food containers.

If I bring in something like what you had, I immediately put half away for the next day.

I don't mix it up, or put it on the crackers.

I don't know if you have access to a refrigerator, but something to think about.

I do the same with frozen meals and take away, also.

I hate to see food go to waste. I have a particularly hard time eating at a restaurant and then not going right home to be able to put the left overs away. After all I paid for the meal and don't want it to go to waste. I have eaten enough to vomit several times. I am working on eating just what I need and leaving the rest (or hopefully somebody else at the table wants it).

You folks need a couple of teenage boys. My sons are always finishing my meals for me. At restaurants, they even tell me what they'd like me to order since they know they'll be eating it, too.

Let me know what time dinner is at your house...I'll send them over.

Cindy

You folks need a couple of teenage boys. My sons are always finishing my meals for me. At restaurants, they even tell me what they'd like me to order since they know they'll be eating it, too.

Let me know what time dinner is at your house...I'll send them over.

Cindy

Love this! Yeah, could use a couple. I just have started ordering foods that I can share or appetizers instead. I am always on the search for a good crab cake. Usually they can be found in an appetizer. But, I do have trouble throwing things out, too. I am learning, quickly, however! :thumbup:

During my pre op therapy consultation my psychiatrist told me that was EXACTLY what my problem is. If somethings there I'm going to eat it. For one I'm cheap! And the cheaper the food the less the quality. I also had the 'you'll sit at the table for 8hrs straight or however long it takes you to finish your meal' kind of parenting. At my grandmothers funeral 2 weeks ago this was humorously mentioned in the eulogy by every child & grandchild (who btw are all overweight or obese). I remember spending an entire weekend with the same plate of cold eggs & grits that I refused to finish. Old habits die hard- or they'll be the death of you! I know I will never enter a buffet again because if I pay $20 or $30 I'm going to want my moneys worth!! Food is a lot of things to me right now that I know it shouldn't be. Maybe one day new habits will change that perspective for me. For now I order in small portions from the healthy side of the menu -just in case I induldge more than I should. Can't eat what isn't there!

I do! I so understand.

People brought potluck to Easter dinner. I was able to usher most of the leftovers out the door, but desert got left. A Peanut Butter pie and a key lime pie. How cruel is that??? Everyone is aware of my surgery and how hard I am working to eat right. I didn't eat desert at dinner, so WHY leave desert at my house? I actually felt a little pissed off. So, I took my anger out on the pies. I dumped them into my sink with running Water and mushed them into the garbage disposal.

This time, I win!

One day at a time, one piece of food at a time.

Throw it away! Throw it away!

Way to go!!! I am so proud of you for making your stand. That pie would have been calling your name all evening from the countertop...but not from the disposal :thumbup:

I hate to see food go to waste. I have a particularly hard time eating at a restaurant and then not going right home to be able to put the left overs away. After all I paid for the meal and don't want it to go to waste. I have eaten enough to vomit several times. I am working on eating just what I need and leaving the rest (or hopefully somebody else at the table wants it).

With you on the restaurant thing. What I have done in the past, but not often, is ask them to add some ice in a baggie to the to go bag. It worked. But to ask someone to go the extra mile like that, the food has to be really, really good. In my case, it was PF Changs!

I have learned to consider porability and share-ability in what I order. Last time I got stuck on something, I had chosen a dish my hubby did not like, and we weren't going home right away. Plus it would not have traveled well, anyway. So, I had to trash it. I felt horrible leaving the wonderful food, but had no choice. Oh well.

That is why I am down nearly 70 lbs! Yay!

From now on, I will be ordering stuff hubby will eat if he wants some, or that will be more portable than what I chose last time. :thumbup: At least that will give me more options.

I dont think I have ever really had a problem with throwing away food. I tend to no eat leftovers anyway, it is a waste I know, but I cook something I know my husband and I will deff eat. Lately I am getting a little better with leftovers because fish is expensive and I have been eating a lot of fish in the last month.

I have the same problem and I grew up in a home where my parents told me it was better to go to waste in the trash than in your stomach.

I eat left overs all the time. In fact sometimes I can make up to 4 meals on something I get at a restaurant. At that point I usually don't mind throwing away left overs b/c I am sick of the food by then!