Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Bands and Airport Security

As bearers of lap-bands, do we need to carry a medical card to get through security at the airport?

Any information about this will be greatly appreciated. I plan to travel soon.

I doubt it would be a big issue...the full body scanners will be the only things that will pick it up (because its all plastic) and they supposedly can tell what most stuff is...My dad has had his hip replaced and never has any issues (all titanium)...he does set off the metal detector and they just do a quick wand scan. The full body scanners shouldn't have issues with the lap band...maybe a call to the airlines and see what they say...you never know.

I have flown often with the band and never had an issue.

I have flown often with the band and never had an issue.

Have you had to go through a full body scanner? Airports are now changing over to them...they do an x-ray of your entire body...I know O'hare Airport here in Chicago has a few of them already and will be changing over to them completely...

I wondered about this myself...my friend and I have visions of them seeing the tube and port and thinking it is some type of detonator. LOL I will be flying over the summer months so am curious how it works with the body scans.

I should add that I'm flying out of the country which means increased security and also different regulations for security in other countries.

I am flying this thursday and my airport uses a full body scanner I will post Friday and let you know how it goes. I am more afraid of getting picked out for being to fat My biggest fear of all.

I'd be interested to know as well...i am doing a bit of traveling this summer as well...

There are other medical conditions for which people have ports.

I believe I read somewhere that AP has an information card that is part of the packaging of the band. My surgeon did not give it to me, though. So I could be wrong. I read that some people use the card to allow them to order off of a child's menu.

You could certainly ask for your surgeon to put a note on a prescription with info about the port and tube.

I've flown several times and had no problems, but haven't done the full body scan.

Interesting thought to use a banded person as a mule with drugs in the tube...hhmmmm

Prolly wouldn't hold enough to be worthwhile.

I have a card that was sent to me by the Lap Band, it is great to have it with me incase there is ever an emergency. And yes, you can order from the kids menu, which is great!! It is usually still too much food, but it saves a lot of money if you go out... plus my husband likes the cheaper bill. You have to get the "serial number" from your band from you doctor and listed on the Lap Band website is a phone number to call. They will ask you your surgery date, doctors name, and for the number your doctor gives you. I had my card within a week.

I have a card that was sent to me by the LAP-BAND®, it is great to have it with me incase there is ever an emergency. And yes, you can order from the kids menu, which is great!! It is usually still too much food, but it saves a lot of money if you go out... plus my husband likes the cheaper bill. You have to get the "serial number" from your band from you doctor and listed on the LAP-BAND® website is a phone number to call. They will ask you your surgery date, doctors name, and for the number your doctor gives you. I had my card within a week.

Thanks for the info. I am going to do this. And you guys are too funny...lol

Yep, there is a card from Allergan/Lap-Band that identifies you as a LB patient. My card came very quickly as well. (My surgeon gave me a packet that had a mail-in form, but you can also do it via the website, I believe.) In the meantime, there was a temporary card to use.

I flew in February (there were not full-body scanners at security at that time) and I had no problems whatsoever.

Just came back from London and was scanned and puffed at DFW on departure. They didn't say anything. Not sure if that's a good thing.....:)

I doubt it would be a big issue...the full body scanners will be the only things that will pick it up (because its all plastic) and they supposedly can tell what most stuff is...My dad has had his hip replaced and never has any issues (all titanium)...he does set off the metal detector and they just do a quick wand scan. The full body scanners shouldn't have issues with the LAP-BAND®...maybe a call to the airlines and see what they say...you never know.

Doesn't the port have a tiny bit of metal on the bottom side of it?

I remember looking at one in my surgeon's office. I recall it as being mostly plastic and silicone, but there was a small piece of metal where the needle would hit at the far side of it.

Doesn't the port have a tiny bit of metal on the bottom side of it?

I remember looking at one in my surgeon's office. I recall it as being mostly plastic and silicone, but there was a small piece of metal where the needle would hit at the far side of it.

I have my lap-band card in my wallet, however I have not yet pulled it out for the child or senior menu discounts (only 2 and a half weeks post-op)

I was given my card directly after surgery with a sticker containing the serial number and reference number of my band on it.

As for the metal portion on our ports, I can tell you that I have 2 steel plates and 16 screws holding my right foot onto the end of my leg, and I rarely set off metal detectors with THAT much metal in it. Once in awhile I get a touchy scanner and they just pat that ankle down when they catch it with the wand. :)

I am going to say that there's not enough metal in the port to make even the most sensitive metal detecting scanners go off.

As for the full body x-ray the port is inside the body, as is the band, they're not checking you for medical implants, and I doubt it would ever be an issue flying.